Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Drinks Prices.
27 Posts
we charge 3.50 for smirnoff/mixer, as do most other bars were we are (at the other end of las americas) i think its a lot to do with location
hi hairyhamster & chico 45, if i was getting a vodka/mixer (tin of coke/sprite) in a wee bar in Gran canary 1 euro 25c, i actually said to my friends i thought the prices we going over the top in TENERIFE, ever since the EURO started :D :D
Yep totally agree.

We paid 5 euros for a bottle of nordic tonic in the drop inn.

As i drink vodka tonic most prices were around 7 euros for the 2.

Also i have noticed that the size of ice cubes have gone up. In some bars they put 2 massive pieces in. then they put your vodka 3/4 of the way up. To make you think that you have loads of vodka. We took the ice out in the anchor bar, and the vodka was just over a 35ml which is what we get when at home.

So i now ask for no ice, when i order my vodka that way you seem to get a bit more.

Then go back and ask for a glass of ice.

Kitty O sheas at puerto colon still does local beer for 1 euro. And it is a sun trap during the day.
Welcome back WickedC.

Chico ??? was that a coke from the tap or a can of coke???

Soul Suite has always been an "expensive" bar but we have never minded cos of the great free ents.

We always drinks a spirit + a can mixer and last year we were paying about 4.5 Euros or in our case about 18 euros for a round.
I was out in January and definitely think the drink prices have shot up over the last couple of years. I went to Palma Nova in Majorca last June and the prices there 5 years ago used to be extortionate (it's the Welsh in me ) compared to Tenerife. In June they were about the same and in some bars drinks and food were cheaper than those in Playa.

I expect to pay more in bars with entertainment but like Chico45 says the bars without are starting to charge around the same for their drinks.
I did see a lot more happy hours in January - but I think that was probably due to fall in numbers (it was the quietist Jan in 4 years) - maybe it has something to do with the prices :?:
Peter, that was the mixer from the tap. So probably more expensive if we had a can. And as Wickedchris says, they seem to be loading the glasses with ice now, far more than they used to, which is a bit naughty. If you take the ice out, and are left with a 35ml measure, then your drink is costing you at least double of the cost back home, and that's just ridiculous.
I agree about the Soul Suite, we know before we go about the prices, but it is such a good night and you just have to go. But for bars with no entertainment, it is way over the top. If we can buy a litre of spirits for 9-10 euros, I would imagine that a bar would get it cheaper still buying wholesale, so it's quite possible to cover the cost of the bottle in just 2 drinks :?
For those of us that keep returning because we just love the place, this won't make any difference, but for the first time visitor it might be enough to make it a first and last visit.
O.K. Rant over.
lol........ mmmmmmmm. well in review of your little discussion here, ive just put 2 (yes rather large) cubes into a glass, and filled with water to around the size of a measure you would get.... taken out the ice and then measured the water...... around 2 and a 3rd 50ml glasses. in other words your getting around 115 ml per shot..... where you guys are drinking and getting only 35 god only knows !!!!!!
oh and another point worth mentioning is that a high percentage of people do bring drinks back to the bar toask for more mixer, as the drink is "too strong"
guess you cant win eh??!!!!
:yikes
Hi

I've just put 100ml of water in a glass and it has come just below half way. If you have ice in and still have time for the tonic, please tell us your bar and we will be sure to visit.

This was also the type of glass that i was being served vodka in on holiday.

As for going back and asking for more tonic, i wouldn't do that, because i prefer bottled or canned tonic. Sometimes your not sure as to what tonic is coming out of the tap. So i never have a problem with this. I also know that schwepps tonic is more expensive in tenerife as it has to be imported. Well so the owner of the Brum bar tells me.

As for vodka, when i order it i order smirnoff, as i can't stand the other stuff. And i like it when it is brought to my table and poured infront of me. So that i can see that i'm being served the right stuff.

For those of us that keep returning because we just love the place, this won't make any difference

No it won't for us, because we have timeshare over there now. but i do find that we are now spending more nights on the balcony with a 2 euro bottle of wine, than going out for entertainment. Also i have noticed over the past few years, that where you had to get into a good bar early to get a seat for the entertainment, this is no longer the case. As people seem to be going out later on.

but for the first time visitor it might be enough to make it a first and last visit

yes i agree with this to. My mate went last year, 1st time in a few years. After going to cyprus and Turkey. And she said she wouldn't return again. As the prices of drinks were to expensive.

Yes there are cheap bars to be found. personally i love a good afternoon at kitty o sheas, at puerto colon at 1 euro a pint. Sat in the sun overlooking the sea. Then when this finishes at 6.00pm get something to eat on the way home. And then sit on the balcony with a 2 euro bottle of Lira wine.

I will also list some of the bars i drink vodka tonic in.

Mary Rogans, expensive for vodka and tonic, tinned schwepps also massive cubes of ice.

Brahams and Liste 3.5 euros for smirnoff and 4 euros for a can of schwepps

Drop inn not sure of the price of vodka but 5 yes 5 euros for a bottle of nordic.

Anchor bar 3.5 euros for smirnoff vodka not sure of the price of tonic, but bottles of nordic.

Blaydon races, always give local vodka and tap tonic, which put together tastes like perfume. So make sure you always ask for smirnoff vodka.

All of the above bars have entertainment on.

Quayside bar small bar no entertainment on. Vodka 3.5 euros and tonic nordic 3.5 euros.

Oh and we went up into Adeje and visited the chicken shack. Then we went to a local bar over the road.

We ordered 3 bottle of larger and 3 smirnoff vodkas and 3 nordic tonics.

Total = 12 euros. :omg

There was also music on in this bar and we girls were even up dancing.

So how comes 4 miles up the road can charge 12 euros for 6 drinks.

Infact next year we have decided to pay 10 euros in a taxi and go up to this bar again. Your holiday is what you make it. And i know that when we go back next year, and there will be about 20 of us. We will pay very little for our beer and the bar man will be made up.

Yes 12 euros for 3 bottles and 3 proper vodka tonics :D
hehe!
well as you say chris your holidy is what you make it !
one comment i will say response to your post is that "tap" tonic is in fact nordic, which is supplied here by coca cola, while schweppes tonic is supplied by pepsi. the cost of tap tonic per glass is actually slightly more than a bottle (neither here nor there to the customer i know) and as for the nordic vs schweppes bottles the difference in price is neither here nor there.
anyway give me a shout when you coming next time, and ill buy you a drink..... with plenty of smirnoff !! :D
oh and yes the ice cubes do seem to have increased in size!!! but we buy them that way!!!!
:shock:
hya hairyhamster,

just wondering where your bar is, and if we come in and say we're HT members will we get cheap drinks ? !
you gotta love a tryer !
sure you will...... buy 2 pay for 3!!
check my previous posts, cos allmen will jump on me from a great height if i say the bars name again !! 8)
I think it depends on where you go. After being here for a few years we have sussed out where the expensive bars are and where the cheaper ones are.

T think there is also a seasonal curve. For instance Fanabe is quite cheap presently due to competition. A pint in most bars is €1 and a spirit €3.50 with canned mixer. The prices drop as the bars compete for your custom. However we never fail to notice that the "€1 a pint" signs disappear just after Easter as the summer busy period approaches. The cheap booze will be back by October and will remain till next Easter apart from the Xmas fortnight when it shoots up again.

So as you can see; its all you tourists fault! If you didn't come, Id have cheap beer all year round :lol:
I agree with you makum prices are very flexible :roll: :roll:
Macks bar near the beach, front of compostella beach is 1 euro 30, all the time and it comes in a big frosty glass.
Blaydon races isnt bad either for beer and they have specials when the footy is on.
There used to be a two for one at the malibu bar next to compostella beach and that was on everything even the sangria. Havent been this year though to this bar.
Get a beer with your macdonalds meal their humongous

best tip for shorts drinkers, take a little bottle in your hand bag he he !!

We always spend more at tenerife than anywhere else but wouldnt go anywhere but here.

Would be interested to know if the prices reflect the rates the bar owners pay or whether they are just greedy.
............best tip for shorts drinkers, take a little bottle in your hand bag he he !!

lovely attitude.
Hairyhamster

Not good advice considering you work in a bar :lol:
jackie i was being sacrcastic..... if i'd have wrote what i actually thought i'd have been banned ! :x
Would be interested to know if the prices reflect the rates the bar owners pay or whether they are just greedy

Well Hairyhamster, what does it cost you for a bottle of smirnoff?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.