Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
The obvious way to the French riviera is straight down the middle. A1 to paris, A6/A7/A8. However you can be a little more adventourous especially if you do an overnoght or 2 in budget hotels (sometimes camping companies allow overnights or short stays at their sites). Firstly the A26 bypasses Paris and drops you out on the A6 at Beaune. The N7 is a really nice route that follows the A7. Once past Lyon you can head East and go down through the mountains past all the flower fields where they grow the scents for Grasse perfumes.

For Italy you can take a rouite that goes through Alsace and then through Switzerland and into Italy. ery beautiful.

We would normally do 2 overnight stops on a journey like this but have done it with just the one as well.
Sorry I was totally unclear! Was looking at a site on the Venetian riviera, hence the 'which way' query. My research so far shows that some like to go through Germany/Switzerland, and others France then across.

Thanks for the French road tips though.

So, would you drive or fly?
For a two week holiday I would fly. Three weeks or more I would consider the drive; outbound via thew Brenner Pass and return via one of the Swiss routes and into France. The journey takes too much time out of a two week holiday and the driver does not get much chance to take in the scenery unless you plan to take several overnight stops each way.
I would drive, the journey only need take a couple of days each way and especially if there is more than one driver the distance isn't too far.
The easiest driving is through France though you will have to pay tolls and I'm thinking that as your children are school age you will be travelling in July or August which is the main holiday season in France so the roads will be busy. I avoid the German motorways when possible, though they are free but can be very crowded and I'm always more tired when driving the German routes.
I personally don't like the Brenner, just seems so busy and the northern Italian plains endless but the scenery is lovely.
It really depends on how well your children travel. Plenty of short stops might be in order.
Depends which route you take, through France stop in the Alsace, through Germany as far south as possible for your overnight. 8hours driving should get you to the south of Bavaria.
Hi, Sorry reply abit delayed, but thanks very much for tips. I'd drive, but think family is 3 against 1! But on the bright side, the venetian riviera appears quite well serviced by public transport so may not need to hire a car, and a good opportunity to try my Italain!
It's worth comparing the cost of driving versus rent a car: when you include the cost of petrol and tolls, it might be cheaper to rent a car!

(The Michelin site gives not just routes but also calculates the approx cost, including tolls.)

Enjoy!

Kevin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.