France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
I have just discovered on the internet that as from the 1st July 2008 it is compulsory for vehicles in France to carry red triangles and a fluorescent jacket.

Peter
Just to confirm what Peter says in the above post .......... BUT the reflective jacket MUST be carried IN THE CAR ITSELF and not in the boot, as you will need to put the jacket on before leaving the car when you get out of it to put up the triangle sign! Sorry to be pedantic, but I'd prefer you to keep your euros to spend on holiday than pay up to a gendarme highway patrol!!!
BUT the reflective jacket MUST be carried IN THE CAR ITSELF and not in the boot, as you will need to put the jacket on before leaving the car

This should lead to some interesting contortions as those of us of more generous proportions try to put the jacket on within the confines of the front of the car.

Peter
It's not me who makes the rules, but I will be amongst those doing those contortions ......... and my car has only just passed its Controle Technique (MOT) today!!!
Next year we are driving to near Nantes, we are thinking of using the toll roads to Caen. Can anyone tell me how much longer it takes to use the N roads and avoid the tolls as we will be travelling midweek so hopefully it will be quieter than the weekend. Thanks
Katherine
If you use http://www.viamichelin.fr (which you can get in English!) they can advise you on different routes to your destination - recommended, most economical and most scenic - and also advise you of the toll costs if you DO decide to use the motorways. Living in France, I always use the motorways because you don't get traffic jams in towns or rush hour fluctuations plus service stations on a regular basis ...........
Well the road from Calais to Pontorson I can tell you the difference and it's why we almost always take the Autoroutes especially as we tow a caravan -- so the toll we pay is not the same

the route to Pontorson via Autoroutes is just over four and a half hours via Route Nationale the time goes up to almost eight hours although the fuel consumption is just about a third more
I think that unless you are familiar with the area, have a very good sense of navigation and enjoy going slowly you would do better to use the Autoroutes. Last year we drove to the Ile de Noirmoutier (sorry about spelling) from Calais. I predicted an eta based on 60mph, and while on the main routes we were doing ok, once of the main routes and on to the local roads I was surprised how slow we covered the ground. I've driven France about fifteen times, three of these to Marseille and back, with overnight stops, the only time that I fall behind schedule is when I leave the main routes. The back roads seem to use a lot of fuel too, and if you are caught in a town at rush hour then the going is always slow. If you save £50 by not using the toll roads, is it really worth it?
K
If you are not in a hurry then use the N roads. Some of them are go through some beautiful areas. However they can be slow, you get traffic and you have to go through lots of towns and villages where progress is held up by lots of pedestrian crossings and traffic lights.
hi
thanks for all your answers, the michelin site is very useful :)
Used Mappy.com for our hols (in conjunction with the satnav) which also gives the appropriate tolls.

Came home from just outside Caen yesterday using Autoroute all the way to Zeebrugge. Cost 22.30 in total to Calais.
Love these bikes - there's a show room near Strasbourg which is always full of great bikes and keen riders. Also Harleys turn heads whenever they pass pedestrians!

Just a supporter of Harleys, that's all!
A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO THOSE TRAVELLING IN OR THROUGH FRANCE FROM 1 JULY 2008!!

From 1 July it will be the law in France that each car must carry a warning triangle in the boot and a fluorescent jacket IN THE CAR, so that in case of breakdown, the driver must put on the jacket before leaving the car to get the warning triangle out of the boot.

There is currently a shortage of warning triangles in France, so please, if you are driving in France from 1 July (even if you are in transit to somewhere else) bring your own from the UK before you leave!

Because of this, fines will only be imposed from 1 October, but if you have both in the correct places before you start your journey, you won't feel intimidated if the police stop you to check that you have both items!
Can confirm that triangles are in short supply, we have just returned from Normandy and didn't see a single one for sale and we were looking especially for them for a friend.

Patka
Can someone clarify if we all need hi-vis jackets or just the driver? I don't want to buy for teh kids if not required - can't see themwearing them much after we return!
From what I have read and been told, high vis jackets are required for all passengers travelling in the car at the time of its breakdown.

I can understand the kids point of view as regards a high vis jacket as a fashion statement, but better to look uncool for an hour or two than to lose your life getting out of the car (and it does happen unfortunately).

'Ikea family' are offering reasonably priced jackets.
Alscienne - Thanks again - i'll tell them Leonna Lewis wears nothing else
Hi there - I'm hoping for some advice...

We've just returned from a fantastic holiday in the South of France (near Argeles). We want to go back next year but want to drive instead (to save the cost of flights and hire car etc.)

I've heard that there are some dates to avoid driving in France due to their school or bank holidays when everyone hits the roads - is this true? (and if so what are the dates??)

Does anyone have any advice at all for driving there? We're setting off from North Yorkshire, so have quite a bit of UK driving to do before we even reach France!

Any ideas for cheap but pleasant stop-overs would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Sarah
Hi Sarah

Glad you had a great time, and are intending to return. I'll try to help you with some of your questions, but as I'm definitely having a senior day, I'll take them point by point ............

I've heard that there are some dates to avoid driving in France due to their school or bank holidays when everyone hits the roads - is this true? (and if so what are the dates??)

School holidays are set by French law - and as France is divided into 3 holiday zones they aren't always on holiday at the same time except for the summer. If you google Vacances Scolaires 2008, you should get the dates. As regards peak road congestion, try googling bison fute (the crafty bison - DON'T ASK WHY???!!!!) you should get some idea of when things are the heaviest.

Does anyone have any advice at all for driving there? We're setting off from North Yorkshire, so have quite a bit of UK driving to do before we even reach France!

I know it might be a bit more costly, but do look at booking the Hull-Zeebrugge route with P&O - it does take a lot of pressure off the driver, and ease you into the time change .............. You can then drive through Belgium/Luxembourg/Alsace and get onto the main route south near Beaune, or even continue through Switzerland (you'll need to buy a motorway vignette) and head south via Geneva ............ a lot less stressful than the A6/A7 in France!!!.

You may find some help from the website http://www.michelin.fr - and you can input and receive information in English for all over Europe. I use it a lot and am not disappointed with what it tells me!

Any ideas for cheap but pleasant stop-overs would be appreciated as well.

Oh dear, this simple question could lead to pitfalls! Firstly if you are booking stopovers during the summer, book them in advance. Personally I rely on standard and reasonably accommodation with no shocks such as lack of hot water, flowery wallpaper and the loo on the landing! You might look at various chain hotels such as Formule 1, Etap, Campanile, Ibis, or Mercure, but I would suggest that you risk being taken for a ride if you turn up at a picturesque hotel without a reservation in mid-Summer ......... lack of space, increased prices and of course the rooms that nobody else wants!!

I am sure that many of our members will help you out with nice overnights! All good wishes xxxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.