Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
Autoreisen are generally the cheapest. They have a desk in the arrivals hall and if your quick off your feet you can have your keys in your hand before your cases come out.

Picking up and dropping off at the airport will also save you the cost of return taxis from Playa Blanca, which will be about 80e

You can book online and you don't need to pay until you pick the car up.

http://www.arcarhire.com/car-hire/car-hire.php

I've used them 3 times now and can highly recommend them.

PS Driving in Lanzarote is very easy, the roads are generally very quiet.
Helen

having a car on the island is a must....you will miss so much without it

papagayo arena is a fair walk from the centre of PB but has a shuttle bus.

trust me if you can manage the Mancunian Way at rush hour then Lanzarote is a doddle.

have a great time
Andy
Thanks for that Andy. Mancunian Way - easy - so Lanzarote is probably like having the island to yourself then. I'm sure I can master the left hand drive bit okay, I'm sure that's not half as bad as I'm thinking. It would be such a shame to miss the island all for the sake of not hiring a car.

Helen
Helen

Its useful to have your other half acting as an extra pair of eyes till you get the hang of it.

take extra care at roundabouts and watch your speed , make sure you keep your licence and hire car documents on you when out in the car, the local police are quite keen on roadside checks.

other than that enjoy

heres another good car hire firm if you need one

http://www.autospluscar.com/

Andy
Andy,

Thanks again. I could always get the other half to drive like when we go anywhere over here, lol. He'd do it no problem whereas for me it's more of a "I can do that" kinda thing. Cheers for the tips on the roundabouts and speed. If we were so unlucky to get pulled, I assume the police speak some sort of broken English? and we won't end up getting copped for something else. :)
Stay in the outside lane at roundabouts no matter where you're turning. Cars in the right hand lane have priority.
Hi , as robertk points out Autoreisen are good, you can also have a free additional driver with them , i've found that as long as you concentrate carefully its not an ordeal to drive "the wrong way round" i drive an automatic at home but found the gear change with the wrong hand fairly easy , its just remembering to give way the opposite at r'bouts as naturally you look the same way as you do at driving at home. also the roads are quiet and other (local) drivers are very considerate and courteous. The drive from the airport to Playa Blanca is easy to follow and scenic in places takes about 30mins, petrol is much cheaper than here aswell , hiring a car is a very cost-effective way of getting around and making the most of your holiday.
Thanks guys for all the replies, very useful. Will let you know how we get on!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.