Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Wow!

Don't think I'll be driving there for a while though.
I must say I thought of you when I posted it Kevin. :roll:
Hi again. I read in the AA guidebook that they do not recommend driving in Tunisia, especially at night. Is is as dangerous as they are making out? As a family of 5 it would be difficult for us to fit into regular taxi's and very expensive for organised trips. Any advice? Also, we are staying at Sahara Beach in Skanes, is there a reputable car hire place nearby? Thank you.
I have driven Tunisia 3 times in my own car, and once in a hire car, no problems.
At night the small towns have no street lights and the children, donkeys, donkey carts and people in general are not well lit, also the mopeds drive on either side of the road without lights. I had extremely good lights on my LR about 400w in all so I found it ok, my mate, with standard lights hated night driving.
I would say it is not as dangerous as they make out but you must drive with caution. I drove a hire car from Djerba, to Douz, Kebili and Bechni, via Beni Kedech and Matmata, again no problems.
Have a look at http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk "Trip Reports" "2006/7"
Kevin
If you really don't fancy driving, you can get to many places by train, bus, or the louages (shared taxis) and fares really are as cheap as chips.
Thank you for the advice. Kevin your site is great, very inspiring. Any idea about reputable 4X4 hire places near to Skanes?
Aslemma, how far are the train stations from Skanes? Also, (this might sound really silly!) Do you have to telephone for a taxi or is the a central point to visit?
Any advice on the First Choice tours? Are theygood value or is it true that much of the time is spent on the bus with no "real" life sites?
There is a station at Monastir but I've always caught the train or metro from Sousse, which is my area rather than Skanes, so I can't help you much there. Taxis are everywhere and you can't go a few yards down any road without them touting for business (except when it's raining and you really need one :rofl ) Remember to always 'negotiate' the price before getting in a taxi, or insist the driver puts the meter on. Tours organised by any of the reps can be expensive and somewhat inflexible, but they can be useful for a first-time visitor. Don't feel you have to book everything offered by your rep at the at the first meeting at the hotel but just say you willl think about it and let him/her know later
Hi can you hire scooters in PEK, we will be there for 1 week in December, first time and really looking forward to it.
Thanks
Hi can you hire scooters in PEK, we will be there for 1 week in December, first time and really looking forward to it.

:think I haven't seen anywhere to do that, not that many scooters about actually.

Previous replies to your question http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=137599&p=1378925&hilit=scooters#p1378925
the first half hour is nerve racking after that, drive like them. funny but I enjoyed it for the 3 days we hired a car. but avoided driving in the dark.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.