Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I've got enough driving experience in Europe and UK but it's very risky to drive in Tunisia. As you might well know, they drive like lunatics and ignore all the highwaycode rules.
Have been going there for 8 years, even thought of taking the car with me for a change, but at the end, after reading various reports what might happen if you get an accident, decided me not to drive there.
Language problems play a big part in it when dealing with police after an accident. Even when not guilty, you could be liable. Important is to get witnesses after an accident.
But then again, it gets you around the country and there are lots of tourists who hire a car and have enjoyed it.
I've driven in Tunisia a few times. And it's not so bad. The main routes and the motorway are a doddle. Speed limits are similar to the UK. In the smaller towns be aware of pedestrians, mopeds, horse and donkey carts and the road humps which can be hard to see. Not much street lighting at night in the less touristy areas. There are traffic police stationed at most roundabouts and they stop Tunisians regularly for document checks. I have never been stopped and am assured that they never stop "tourists".
I've driven in Tunisia a few times. And it's not so bad. The main routes and the motorway are a doddle. Speed limits are similar to the UK. In the smaller towns be aware of pedestrians, mopeds, horse and donkey carts and the road humps which can be hard to see. Not much street lighting at night in the less touristy areas. There are traffic police stationed at most roundabouts and they stop Tunisians regularly for document checks. I have never been stopped and am assured that they never stop "tourists".

Very well informed reply, well done Dorra.

I've driven Tunisia three consecutive years now. Ok, I drive a Discovery which gives me a certain edge. Stay calm, stay confident, Tunisians "honk" all the time. At every junction be cautious and edge out if you're not sure, all Tunisians are human, just like us. Most of my driving is in smaller remote places, but I have driven in Tunis, Sousse, Hammamet, Nebual as well. It is no nightmare, just go with the flow, the louage drivers are crazy but they always (generally) get past. If you drive everywhere at 70+ then you'll probably hit someone because nobody else will drive like that.
The motorways are fine, I don't see Tunisia as any different to driving in France, and the Garde Nationale stationed at every main junction will generally wave you through with a smile.
One word of warning, watch out for the speed bumps at the entry and exit of towns, especially smaller towns, get used to spotting the warning signs at the side of the road, you'll see them long before the bump.
Avoid small tows at night, as Dorra says, donkey carts, mopeds and children are everywhere, none of them have lights. Large towns are well lit, I've driven Tunis in rush-hour, no problem. Look out for the Italians, they are the worst drivers I've ever come across, even in Tunisia.
More at http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk
Please let this re-assure you, if you are a confident driver you'll be fine.
Kevin
Just to update you all........... returned on Sunday after a lovely 10 day visit and i drove everyday with no problems ( well maybe just a couple) We traveled to what felt like every corner of Tunisia and i drove !!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah.. we visited Djerba, the Sahara, Sfax and El Jem.. The only problems i encountered apart from having to be v v aware of all the other cars and mopeds were 1. while stationary at traffic lights in sfax the truck in front decided to reverse up my bonnet!!!!!!!!!!!! and 2. being with my Tunisian boyfriend we got stopped a lot by the police and national guard, on entry to djerba the police took him from the car into a office and tried to get him to pay money because he was with an English girl.... he politely told them to get lost!!!!! I enjoyed driving there and would have no worries about doing it again.. Thanks all for your advice xx
Your so brave,I have often shared the driving with my husband many times in France and Spain and enjoyed it,but I would never do it in Tunisia,well done!!.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.