Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
a little worried
18 Posts
Hi sarahnew,

You will find people that over dramatise things everywhere.

There are many posters on this board who have been returning to Sunny Beach for many years, year after year, and who wouldn't think of going anywhere else.

I personally don't like the resort - it's far too big and overdeveloped for my own tastes but it's a great place for many others and I certainly feel safer anywhere in Bulgaria than I do in many places in the UK.

Yes there are 'ladies of the night' and may well be 'muggers', as there almost certainly are are in any of the resorts which you have already visited (unless you had encountered any of them, how would you know?) and in many others that you haven't visited (probably even in the area where you live as well). Large numbers of relaxed holidaymakers anywhere in the World tend to attract interest from the type of people who see an easy way to make money.

Yes there are Roma ('gypsies') in the resorts, hardly surprising as estimates of Bulgaria's Roma population (3rd largest ethnic group) range from 600,000-750,000, according to the Interior Ministry. You will also find people of many other ethnic origins in the resorts - is that likely to be a problem?

Yes there have been power cuts in the resorts - have you never had a power cut where you live? The reality is that it's much more likely that 'normal' Bulgarian villages and towns near the resorts will have power cuts in order to ensure supply to holidaymakers in those resorts.

Baldur
Hi Baldur,

I seem to have made you a little cross which was not my intention. No there are no hookers where i live, and no i have never seen hookers parading openly anywhere else i have visited, im sure they are there but only if you look. And yes gypsies are a problem, on a visit to Rome we where warned on numerous occasions to be very wary of them. As for the power cuts yes we do have them but never are all the streets in total darkness at night.

So i am sorry if i offended you but i think i have a right to be a little apprehensive after reading all the reports

thanks

sarahnew
Hi sarahnew,

No I'm certainly not cross or offended, apologies if the post came across that way - I was just attempting to show the Bulgaria that I know from many visits, as opposed to the 'Sun Headline' type posts that you've apparently read elsewhere.

As I said - I personally don't like Sunny Beach (and I'm certainly not an apologist for the place) but many do and return time & time again.

Baldur
Hi Sarahnew,
My wife and I are going to sunny beach for the 3rd time went there in 2007 and 2008 stayed at the iberostar resort both times, you have no need to worry, if the gypsies, approch you they will be trying to sell you fruit just say no and walk on, do not take any of the fruit, as for hookers I have never seen any, but as baldur has already said there is always some in holiday resorts, as for muggers once again we have never had any trouble, just take the normal precautions.
As I said this is our 3rd time we are both in our late 40s and find the place is great for people of all ages, the beach is great and the sea is warm, but hotel pools tend to be a little cold, we normanlly go in July/Aug. Enjoy your Holiday we all need one at the moment.if you need any more info just ask.
Hi Sarah,

We first went to Bulgaria in 1989, and don't recognise the Bulgaria you are describing. Our experience covers not just the tourist areas on the Black Sea, but the real Bulgaria inland.

We have never felt threatened and if you apply the same sensible precautions as you would anywhere else you will have no problems.

I know which forum you are talking about, and don't believe half you read on it. It's unmoderated and a Bulgarian with a chip on his shoulder is allowed to post all sorts of rubbish intended to put tourists off.

Peter
Sarah
Have visited Bulgaria many times since 1995 and been in Sunny Beach once (for 4 days about 2 years ago) Lots of families visit there year after year which wouldn't happen if the place was terrible. Please go with an open mind and not spoil your holiday with preconceptions that you are in danger - it really is no different to those places you have already visited, some of which I have also visited. Just like the people who approach you to have your hair braided or buy jewellery in those resorts, just say no and keep walking if anyone (gypsies )approaches you there. When visiting any foreign country for the first time you are bound to have some worries but I'm sure you will have a good holiday. I'm sure there are prostitutes there but have to say I haven't noticed any so I guess they are being discreet and not doing a blatant trade.
Sunny beach is a huge resort, and very busy. I would recommend that you visit Nessebar which isn't far away at all and is a lovely place to visit with some nice restaurants and shops. Power cuts can happen anywhere but have to say its never happened when I've been there.
Hope this helps put your mind at rest a bit so you can look forward to your holiday.
Sarahnew

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. I love Bulgaria and have been many times over a period of about 20 years mainly to Golden Sands but a couple of times to Sunny Beach. We have had family holidays which included our grandaughters since they were around 5 and 8 and they love Bulgaria and have been back many times. I have never ever felt theatened or scared.

As Baldur says some people over dramatise. Yes you will see a few ladies of the night and a few gypsies but we have been many other places in Europe where this is noticeable. It certainly shouldnt spoil your holiday but I think you need to go feeling a bit more positive instead of dreading it. For starters if you weigh things up you will be going to a place where theres nice beaches, nice restaurants, good prices, nightlife if you want it. I know many people who for years wouldnt even think about Bulgaria but after visitng have been converted! It will be interesting to hear your views when you come back.

Again I agree with Baldur, Sunny Beach is huge and is not my favourite resort either. I much prefer Golden sands but nevertheless have still had an very enjoyable time in Sunny Beach and wouldnt hesitate to go back .

Enoy!
hi again,

I feel alot better now, so thanks to all of you who took the time to reply to me. I dont think i will look at that forum anymore.

So just 9 days to go now i will let you all know how it went when i get back

many thank again

sarahnew :)
Sarahnew

Where are you staying? Look forward to hearing your views on your return. Hope you have a great time.
dont worry have been before. just say no thank. but be polite.and thay wil leave you alone after you pass the same place twice saying no thanks.when ..u ..buy perphumes.????????open them up right away and check even if seald.Better opend pressy. than a half one.It just like your shopen center .or market. nout 4nout. but have A good one .ps If the price is right offer under the price .hopped that seteld your fears.x
  • Edited by dodo 2009-05-22 12:50:02
Sarah,

You are new to this forum, and probably haven't noticed I have sent you a private message.

Peter
Just back and I understand some reservations as have been mugged before in mexico.

However, it's my 4th year in Bulgaria and felt so safe on the 2nd trip I bought a place.

Recent trip we encountered a couple of children begging and had about 4 hookers working on the main strip in Sunny beach. We sat in an elevated bar one night and watched them. they only approached groups of 1 or 2 males and had am attempt at pickpocketing occasionaly (not to successfully). It was actally strangely entertaining.

nothing to be worried about just keep an eye out for pickpockets in crowded places.

the people you should be worried about are the cabbies - prices are criminal if you don't haggle. if anyone wants the mobiles of a couple of good guys (brothers by all acounts) In sunny beach or St Vlas let me know.
been to golden sands many times and with children of various ages, never encountered any problem yes there are prostitutes, but a polite no will suffice just dont leave your brains at home dont parade up and down looking like Mr T dont carry large amounts of cash on you, use a safety deposit box leave your keys at the hotel, dont leave bags unattended on the beach just plain comman sense really, been all over europe and if we havent seen ladies of the night there youve been very lucky
Have been going to G/S for many years and have had no trouble like lal says just say no .We have been aproached by money changers also hubby was aproached by the ladies of the night (LOL) just say no It happens in this country to :whoops June
hi sarah i am going to sunny beach on 2nd june i go there twice a year as have done the last 10yrs i go on my own and love it the bulgarian people ar amazing and make you so welcome so dont worry just enjoy your holls oh by the way im in my fiftys :cheers
hi all i live near samokov which is near to the borovets, and i have never felt threatened at all, infact i feel safer whilst out at night here, than i daid in uk.
This is refreshing to read, i've been looking at Bulgaria but have been put off with comments from people. Dodgy areas, unsafe at night and unsafe to go with children. Definately think we will give it as go now. As said if sensible and use common sense should be safe. As it seems to be popular.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.