Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
WORRIED
40 Posts
Can I ask what your main concern is? For yourself or your child? I would assume that you would take the same precautions in Turkey as you would here. We have been going to Turkey for over 15 years now and I do not feel any less safe there than I do here. Having said that, there are some places that I would not go alone here.

The Turkish people love children, so be aware that they may seem a little more 'touchy-feely' with your child than you are used to but it is nothing to be worried about - if you or your child feels uncomfortable then just ask them politely to stop. I took my two grandchildren with me, alone, one year and we had a wonderful time.

Use your common sense and I am sure that you will enjoy a wonderful holiday.
i know the uk is dangerous

Everywhere has its danger, but would feel that my daughter was as safe in the touristy
bits of Turkey and as she is at the local high St.

Take care , and stop worrying .
Both I and my 18-year-old daughter probably feel safer walking around on our own in Turkey, even at night, than we would at home. As others have said, keep your wits about you and trust your instincts, take the same precautions as you would normally do in this country and you will be fine.
my family all feel safer in turkey and this includes the grandkids as well, i have been in the olu deniz area for 20 years and have never experienced anything like this, but this is not to say it does not happen and what are the circumstances are if it does,
this is a really friendly area with mainly families holidaying so don't worry to much, just take the normal precautions you would in the uk, if you do have any problems go to the nearest hotel or jandarma and report it i am sure it would get sorted. :sun2
tourism is very important to turkey and they are trying very hard to preserve that.
Would agree with the last poster, if you are worried about anything people will genuinely want to help you, including the Jandarma, as Maverick said Turkish people and the authorities are keen to look after tourists.
We also feel safe in Turkey, but of course wouldn't take any more risks there than we would here. Incidentally we have been told that the authorities come down extremely hard on anyone who commits crime of a sexual nature, so there is a strong deterrent.
that is so true alfie they get punished the right way there, they hold no prisoners for that sort of crime
Bluey .Just listen to all the advise already given and dont worry go and enjoy your holiday .I have heard of more rapes and sex crimes in this country than i ever have in Turkey .Just take the same care over there as you would here .A good idea is to try and get friendly with another single female parent at your hotel or appartments then you wont feel so alone. :wave:
Peter
You have a five year old child , you wont be out at 3am drunk in a gutter :think

You will only go where there are other tourists

You will stick to the hotel , or on a very organised trip .

You will spend a great amount of time in the safety of your hotel.

Ps if you really want to worry , think how you feel when your child is a teenager
Then things get really interesting :rofl
Ps if you really want to worry , think how you feel when your child is a teenager
Then things get really interesting :rofl

yes been there got thne tee shirt lol :sun2
I read the article too and have to say it did make me think.

As a first time visitor to Turkey this year, I hope it doesn't put me off.

Kath x
As someone who works in the industry, I can assure you that magazines like that are notorious for over-exaggerating and sensationalising things, and the one mentioned has a real reputation for picking in Turkey in particular. Having seen the treatment they give to stories which have been given a much more measured response elsewhere, I would take anything they say with a large pinch of salt!
Take a Break seems to really have it in for Turkey, they print anything they can to put people off from going! Most of their stories are exagerated and they only ever print the bad things, they never tell the good side of anything.

It is a sad fact of life that a woman can be raped anywhere in the world, however the Turkish resorts are really very safe, I certainly feel a lot safer walking around in a Turkish resort than I do in London. You are going with your child anyway so you wont be wandering about back streets alone at night or accepting lifts from strangers whilst drunk. Most of these kind of things happen when a woman has had too much to drink or goes off with someone she doens't know, they let their guard down because they are on holiday and someone takes advantage. A little bit of common sense would help to stop a lot of problems, women should always take the same precautions as when they are at home.

Please do not let that stupid magazine put you off of visiting such a lovely country. Olu Deniz is a small, frienndly resort and I am sure you will have a lovely time there. You will find the Turkish people very friendly and welcoming and they love chhildren so your little one will be well looked after.

I lived in a Turkish resort for a few years and I always felt safe there when I was alone and when I was out and about with my child.

Have a wonderful trip, relax, enjoy yourself and don't worry :sun2

Kedi x
Kedi Im sure you and I have spoke about this before on here. Having read all the Take a break articles I must say what a load of rubbish they spout. Remember what Take a break is, it is nothing more than stories from some persons point of view and is not based on facts. I would trust the The Sun newspaper more than Take a break. It wasn't so long ago Take a break were reporting of all the faliraki rapes which of course were never actually reported but naturally Take a break knew about them.

Enjoy your holidays! :cheers
greenshoes wrote:
I would trust the The Sun newspaper more than Take a break.

Now that's saying something ;)
I travelled to Olu as a single parent with my son who was 7 for the first time in 2007 ~ in ALL of the places we have gone to and travelled to (including our local town!) I have never felt as safe and at ease as what I have done in Turkey or Olu Deniz, we were out quite late as wouldn't eat dinner til late, but my son would be playing footie on the beach or in the street with the locals and the local kids, and we couldnt get down the main strip in the 10 mins it would normally take because everyone is so friendly.

So please do NOT worry, Olu is a beautiful place, the people are friendly and I have felt more at "risk" of things like this happening walking down streets in my own town than in Turkey.

Truly, its a lovely place, and Im sure you'll love it, we went to Florida last year but I missed Turkey so much thinking of going back again this year :)
I felt really safe there. Mu cousin and I wandered around ourselves at night while our hubbies watched football and never ever did we feel unsafe. Would probably have felt more unsafe in the UK.
You will love Olu.
Anne
Olu Deniz is great
I have been to Turkey ( myself and 2 teenage daughters) 3 times and felt perfectly safe
Lally
The magazine Take A Break should change it's name to Give Us A Break.It is always slagging Turkey .You just have to look at their home page with the advert Sell Us Your Story on it .That opens the door for anyone to make up stories for profit .They take the stories online and dont even substantiate them.

Dont worry be happy.

Peter
I know we are all trying to reassure bluey02.

But lets not go over the top.

Quote .. Would probably have felt more unsafe in the UK.

travelled to (including our local town!) I have never felt as safe

, I certainly feel a lot safer walking around in a Turkish resort than I do in London.

.I have heard of more rapes and sex crimes in this country than i ever have in Turkey

Both I and my 18-year-old daughter probably feel safer walking around on our own in Turkey, even at night, than we would at home

Lets get real , if anything happened in the UK, bluey2 would have the advantage of Language in her favour, Know the police procedure, Know who to call/phone etc

Abroad , you cant guarantee finding a perfect English speaking person.
You don't the local problems or customs .

I was one of the first to put bluey2 mind at rest , but let us keep the danger
( both abroad AND in the UK ) in context.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.