Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
driving in zante
11 Posts
Hi Nemo,

I hired a car in Zante a few years ago for a fortnight and found the driving easy there. The roads were well constructed and fairly quiet. Can't remember signage being a problem but suggest you get a good map! There was only road, which was basically a gravel track down a cliff to a beach, that I disliked (and refused to drive down despite passing my advanced driving test!). Car hire is more expensive here than a lot of other Med resorts but we saw little public transport. I would say hire a car unless you want to rely on taxiis! We used the tour operators transfer as we had a night flight and I wasn't too confident we'd be able to find a hire car company open at the airport at 3.00am and then hired the car (newish Renault Clio) from a tour shop in Argassi. Would definintely do the same if I ever return. Have a great holiday.

Cazz
and always get the damage waiver on your insurance, covers undercar damage etc should you hit a pothole.!
My husband has driven in Zante a few times and he says its fine as long as you take your time. He will be driving again this year when we go. He wouldn't drive when we went to Crete though, said they were mad :lol:
hi
you can get a taxi easily from the airport to tsilivi for a bout 15 euroes...remeber to ask before you get in, sometimes you can get it for cheaper...

As for hiring a cra..hire it once u get to zante, u can get some good deals in tsilivi and there are plenty of car places...the roads are better than some of the other greek islands..and i would certainly recommend hiring one
Hi

The ZanteWeb team put a site together with information of their Radio Taxi service with recommended prices, contact information etc for most routes on the island.

http://www.zantetaxi.gr/en_prices.php

There is a Taxi rank at the airport if you just want to pick the next available Taxi from the airport and as mentioned above the usual agree price before you jump in is recommended.

As for hire cars Tsilivi travel offer 25% on internet bookings (see smallprint on the reservation page) not sure though what the prices are but i see many recomendations for Tsilivi travel on most of their enterprises.

Cars..
http://www.tsilivi-travel.gr/zakynthos.zante.car.rentals.php

PRE-BOOKINGS: Cars pre-booked by clients will be issued a confirmation email and a 30% deposit is necessary to secure the booking. Pre-booking via internet must be done 7 to 10 days prior to delivery date in order for the internet prices and special offers to be valid.

I found driving around zakynthos to be OK and it even felt strange jumping into my car when i got back home. Take your time and pull over if you feel hassled by speeding locals, they know the roads and do tend to take chances and when you do set them free they normally wave a thankyou when they've past. Even driving around Zakynthos town is quite enjoyable and not as busy as i would have thought. loads of one-way streets around so be careful there if you go around the side streets.

Nut.....
As a regular visiter to Zante ( we have a home there ) driving is easy and you dont really need a map as all roads will lead to Zante town eventually ! it is signed posted every where it might take you the long route but you will always get to Zante town , some main roads are just like a single track but greek drivers are very good and no one rushes or gets annoyed with visiters ( they know that tourists are their bread and butter ) most of the villages you will pass through the residents will give you a wave and make you feel welcome , the only problems on the roads are the tourists that forget which side of the road they are on so just beware at junction and when cars pull out incase its a brit
i have visited zakynthos several times and found it really a fairly easy driving experience. everyone on the roads are quite chilled out really. nothing like corfu where everyone drives like absolute maniacs (corfu is supposed to have the 2nd highest number of road deaths in europe after naples!)

as someone said earlier, just like if you were in the uk, if you feel harrassed by someone wanting to drive faster, just pull over. it would be the same here!

you can hire cars pretty cheaply out there as well as before you go.. i'd say if you're going in high season, book before you go but if you're going low season you might be able to shop around and get a better deal
We hired motorbikes when we stayed in Zante. We followed the coast and had no problems with the road. It was a wonderful way to see the island and we intend doing the same in Corfu in just under 2 weeks.
A motorbike is a fantastic way to get around Zante. The roads are well signposted and they all eventually lead back to Zante town. Beware of the road that takes you down to catch the boat to Smugglers Cove (more of a dirt track really.) Take your time because the effort is really worth it when you get to your destination. We did this trip independantly and saved a fortune.
A motorbike is a fantastic way to get around Zante. The roads are well signposted and they all eventually lead back to Zante town. Beware of the road that takes you down to catch the boat to Smugglers Cove (more of a dirt track really.) Take your time because the effort is really worth it when you get to your destination. We did this trip independantly and saved a fortune.

Check your insurance before you travel though as when I was last in Zante I recall being warned by the Tour Guide not to hire Motor Bikes or Motor Peds as the accident rate was very high. Most Holiday Insurance Policies will NOT cover you in the event of an accident whilst driving a motorised bike of any kind. At least that is how I recall it when I was last there.....ten, twelve years ago.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.