Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Dubai-Q&As
120 Posts
Virgin do trips there too, but as above, I'd advise having a look arouns and bookign flights & hotel seperately.
we are traveling to Dubai at Xmas arriving Boxing day and staying at the Oasis Beach (prev stayed there for 2 nights on way back from OZ in April)
Is the place full of xmas spirit or is it fairly laid back and quiet -are the celebrations at new year big style
When we were there in April it was hot and know the temp is lower at Xmas but is the weather fairly well guaranteed to be clear blueskies and sun or can we expect any cloudy/rainy days

quite fancy a night at the races whilst we are there - is the dining package they offer good value or should we keep with just the basic standingin the stand with the locals
we have just booked for sept 2007 and i usually book my hols on line but i went into going places and was in there 2 hrs but they actually came up with a better price than anyone on the net and even got upgraded rooms
Hi All

I have manged to find a company on the net and have got a quote
of 7 days for £929pp for August 2007.

Daveyboy

8)
Can't help with the other questions but I can help you with the weather. My brother in law lives in Oman which is the next country down and the weather at Christmas and New Year is dry and around 30 degrees. His parents went out for Christmas 2004 and it rained and the Omanis were dancing in the streets because rain is such a rare occurence. A friend of my mum's was visiting relatives in Dubai at the same time and she had the same story.
Hi,what are the temps like at this time of year day and night? Can you swim in the pools etc.I have seen some good prices for this time of year but its only good if the weather is decent,any help would be great cheers Mark.
I was there at the end of January on business this year and the temps were fine. I didn't have time to go in the pools but people were and they were sunbathing too.
wife and i planning holiday 4 days Fujairah-hilton and 2 days Dubai.
What are the prices of meals and restaraunts like in Dubai-ok for Fujairah will be eating in hotel.

Any comments and help apprciated-thanks.
is it ok for my wife to wear bare shoulder blouse etc and not too "boob" revealing" jsut a little.
I know some emirates do not like.
Any advise -thanks
Meals in Dubai are quite reasonable but if you like a drink that's what bumps the bill up - a 'cheap' bottle of wine is around £20-25!

A lovely place to eat fairly cheaply during the day is Basta Art Cafe (near the museum). Lots of fresh homemade food and freshly squeezed juice/smoothies, etc all served alfresco in the courtyard of an old house.

Many of the restaurants do early diners or set menu offers too. My favourite is Spectrum on One at The Fairmont Hotel. It's an amazing place with 6 open kitchens all offering different cuisines so the menu is HUGE and if you dine before 8 you get 41% off the food!
She'll be fine in the hotels and tourist restaurants dressed like that, they won't bat an eyelid. I'd cover up a bit more if you're going into the city, souks, etc. - nobody will say anything but she might feel uncomfortable as some people might stare.
Can anyone tell me if you can purchase alcohol at Dubai Airport while transiting through to Oz, or would it be better purchased in Glasgow. Thanks
Yes you can visit duty free. I can't remember alcohol prices but i know CDs n DVDs were great value compared to here in the UK. :D
Anyone who is going to visit,forget the old Dubai welcome to the worlds biggest building site ,Dubai a city ruined.And allow plenty of time if yo are travelling the traffic is a nightmare.
Hi

I am going next August staying at the Jumeriah Beach Hotel looks good to me,traffic!!! try the M25 on a Friday night. !!!

Daveyboy

:bhead
David i'm sure you'll have a great time and there is NO BUILDING WORK in that area at all (I've stayed at and visited the Madinat Jumeirah complex nearby). Sure there's building work in Dubai, it's a 'developing city' so this does involve 'development/building work' however it won't spoil your holiday!

True the roads can't cope with the amount of traffic and if you hit the rush hours major roads can be gridlocked but taxis charge by distance only (there's no meter for waiting) and are cheap anyway. You can visit Madinat Jumeirah and Mall of The Emirates without any traffic problems from your hotel though you might hit some traffic if you visit Sheikh Zayed Rd, Bur Dubai, etc. A bit of clever timing though and you'll have no probs. :D
Suppose I am relating to Dubai 3yrs ago when there was some beach not as now,look around the Ritz Carlton,Hilton area ect oh yes there is building work,and I visit The Palm weekly on buisness and its a city spoilt, Ask anyone who lives there about the traffic 2.5hrs from the Plam to the Airport.
Hi , is there anyone here who can tell me where shall i get a cheap ticket to Dubai, for the end of december , i tryed lastminutes , and ebookers and the cheapest one was £606 :( .
Thanks for your help
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.