Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Dust storms
6 Posts
I was told its the SIROCCO WINDS. "Sirocco A warm wind of the Mediterranean area, either a foehn or a hot southerly wind in advance of a low pressure area moving from the Sahara or Arabian deserts. Called LEVECHE in Spain"

this also goes over the canaries.
I think its called a 'calima' , covers everthing with sand and dust, we experienced this many years ago in pdla, its a hot wind, quite bizarre really ! can last anywhere between a few hours or a week so I'm told.
Some info on the calima caused by the wind raising sand clouds and drifting over to the Canaries.

Calima

The local population have, after a calima, have a great deal of cleaning up to do as you will imagine because the dust covers everything. The dust also gives rise to an increase in the temerature.
It could be either

a Calima is a strong hot wind... basically its a sand storm blowing off the Sahara Desert so usually coming from the easterly direction.

a Sirroco is a very hot and very dry wind characterised by very low humidity levels as low as 20%ish and it usually comes up from a southwesterly direction.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.