Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi mate

Have made several trips to Turkey, although not yet to Olu Deniz. This is about to be rectified however as I am booked for end of September.

I first went to Bodrum about ten years ago and it was ludicrously cheap! local alcoholic drinks were 20p or less!!! and the food was amazing.

However more recent trips to Marmaris and Gumbet have proved to be more expensive, although still a fair bit cheaper than back home (Newcastle).

I've always found Cyprus relatively expensive and I think I can say with some confidence that it will generally be a lot cheaper in Turkey.
Cool!

Thanks! You just wonder how much to allow for and its great reading what everybody else is saying for a guide and advice.

I do think Cyprus is quite pricey and did assume Turkey would be more reasonable.

Thanks for advice.
i go to turkey a few times a year and found it considerably cheaper than cyprus which we found dear. i love olu deniz but stayed in full board so didnt eat out, we were in turkey about 3 weeks ago but in a different area and found it very cheap, efes around 1.20 a big bottle, and meals out per person varied from £3 to £6 a evening meal , depending where, we found a cheap restaurant that turks eat in and food was fab and for 2 adults and a child and a few drinks, we had free starters, free dessert and casseroles for main course it only came to about £8 in total for the 3 of us, fantastic value, but this isnt in too touristy place, im sure someone that has recently been to olu will help you out, but i dont find turkey dear
Hi
Main course - usually huge 15 - 25 ytl per person. Snacks 8-10 ytl, and a fresh kebab 5ytl. I was A/I but ate out around 5 times. Cheaper in Hisonaru and if you go up to Kaya village i recommend Cin Bal - you cook it yourself on a BBQ . Steak, salad, chips, veg,bread for 3 with beer and soft drinks 40ytl in total
Lally
Hi,
we have just spent 2 weeks in olu deniz 8)
4th time in turkey, 1st time in olu deniz, it's very nice and relaxing, we were B&B so ate out for lunch & evening meal, more or less a different place each time, Josephs is very popular & price wise, my husband had a T-bone steak with rice salad & chips(u don't get many chips but if like me just ask for just chips no rice or salad) it was 22TL which was about £8.20 depending on exchange rate,
Lunch time an ommlete & chips was about 7TL (£2.60)
At the side of josephs walk down the craft stalls and there is a nice place called OBA or ODE all surrounded by trees, that was nice, there are so many places to eat you are spolit for choice,
When u order food they bring you really nice bread from the oven the best bread we had was from MUNCHIES in Hisaronu :shock: out of this world, they also did a steak set meal i think it was creamed mushrooms, t-bone steak & rice pud 19TL (approx £7)
My opinion is it's about wot you pay here in the wetherspoons but you get better food, free bread and outstanding service,

you'll have a great time,
PM me if you want more detail :D
Jenz :P
Just recently got back from The Karbel and their BBQ was £8 which I thought was good value. In the Karbel it is 4.50 lira for a large Efes ( half price happy hour ), outside it averages about 3.5L or 4.0L. Lots of cheap places to eat especially The Oba in Olu Deniz, which I think is the best restaurant in the resort and is great value. You can get an excellent meal for about 18 -20 lira. It is also in a nice setting and the tables are well spaced out so you are not sitting on top of each other. A fan was allocated to each table which was very welcome.

I still think Olu Deniz is good value and don't think prices have gone up that much, just the usual amount you might expect. Although I do think the dolmus fares have increased at a greater rate.
Hi
We have just got back from olu, and found the food to be great value and excellent quality.
our favourites are
flying dutchman ,they do the best steaks in oludeniz and twice a week the manager paul does a great elvis show,very entertaining, and it also has live music three times a week. the managament and staff are great and its one of the few places you don't feel you can't look at the menu outside as they don't hassle you to go in. they just welcome you when you decide to go in.
my husband also loves the
sultan pepper as they do curry nights a couple of times a week and you can go up as many times as you like and refill your plates at a very good price.
more we like are antiques. good food and lovely staff
the waterside very friendly.
were ever you decide to eat im sure you will love it.
we have been four times now and can't wait to get back next year hopefully may and august. :lol:
i think as a first timer you will be pleasantly suprised its not expensive in olu but compared ovacik and hisaronu alittle more expensive but then again you have more choice up in the villages my advise is to go and enjoy
Wow!

Great! Thanks for your help peeps.

Really looking forward to going and I have been going through the forums finding out the best places to eat from what people have said so yours will be added to my 'bible'! :D

Did think that nowhere could be as expensive as London! :P

Thanks buddies!
:D
I can only add that I agree with all the posts above, Olu is good value.

I've only been to Olu (& to be honest I can't imagine Turkey has ANYWHERE nicer), but the impression I get is that Olu is one of the most expensive resorts in Turkey, but by our standards it's still good value!!

If you want to push the boat out, the White Dolphin restaurant on a clifftop to the side of Olu is well worth a visit, in fact you can't go to Olu & not eat there.
We had a lobster between two of us & sea-food starters & water, that was about £50. They are the most expensive things on the menu. Last year we had 1 steak meal & 1 mixed seafood meal & a cocktail & coffee & water, about £40.
Well worth it for the view alone.
Have a great time, I know you will!!

PS, the best time to book for the White Dolphin is about an hour before sunset, If you go into the Oyster Residence (owned by the same people) on the sea-front, they will book it for you & arrange for their little tiny bus to pick you up & drop you home. They don't charge for this (but I still give the driver a tip).
Also keep your eye open for notices on the blackboards. One night in the tequila bar, he had all his cocktails on for 8 lira, all night. Other bars and restaurants had promotions as well. Theres quite alot of choice and its even cheaper up in hisoranu as there's more competition.
We are heading out for our third year at Olu and just hope that the places we ate in last year are still there!

Good, cheap food at Kumsall Pide which if you go down the main street and turn left onto the beach front, is probably the last restaurant you come to. There is a ten pin bowling alley underneath. The pide was fantastic as were most of the other meals and very reasonable.

The other place we ate at was near the Asena, maybe was part of the Asena complex but had a bbq outside - you choose what you wanted then sat at your table. Again, very reasonable and very tasty!

Snacks at lunchtime - sandwich, freshly made at the shop by the bus station right at the bottom of the main street or just a corn on the cob from one of the street vendors. SOmetimes we just bought fruit to take on the beach as we filled up on the Turkish breakfast.

Less than three weeks to go and I can't wait! :D
If you are on the hunt for English, chinese and Indian food it will be more expensive than the local food. Last year we went and we tended to eat the Turkish food which was fantastic, regularly we had meals for the two of us that had us harldy able to walk and the bill was rarely over 20 or 25 Lira, which is about £8 or £10.

The most expensive meal ever in Turkey was in the fish market in Fethiye where it cost us about 50 TLR which is about £20 and I wouldn't exactly say that is expensive.

On the whole the food is fantastic and not badly priced if you are not hankering for UK style food.

We did go to a place in Fethiye call the Imram Manti, a small cafe down a sidestreet, the food was fantastic, they were surprised to see tourists in there. We had three courses and it cost us about £4 for the two of us, I couldn't believe it, we go back there every time we are in the vicinity.

GG
Thanks peeps!

I looking foward to it and think i will come back a few pounds heavier!

Much appreciated and thank goodness for Holidaytruths and these forums
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.