America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Yes you need an adaptor. The US sockets are 2 flat pins. Also be aware that the voltage is only 110V in the US compared to 220V in the UK. You can either use dual voltage appliances or buy a voltage converter.

luci :wave
I've been to Florida before and used a travel adaptor for my duel voltage hairdryer. This year I'll need to take my hair straighteners but they are not duel voltage. Where can I buy a voltage convertor and any idea how much they will be? I bought the braun gas straighteners 2 year ago when we went to the Dominican but they were useless. Resorted to having my hair braided but don't want to go through that kind of torture again.
Thanks
Shaz150
I believe you can get them on ebay, but I haven't looked. Would hazard a guess at around £15.

If you only need it for the straighteners then I would buy a cheap pair out there from Walgreen's or CVS. I think they only cost around $20.

Does anyone know if the Argos one mentioned in the post above is definitely suffice for the hairstraighters? Also do you need to use that type of adapter for a hairdryer too and anything else or is it just high voltage stuff. I'm easily confused when it comes to voltages and wattages e.t.c. :)

Thanks
Sue :)
p.s One last thing, if you use a converter do the straightners still get as hot?
thanks again.
Aww thanks Lesley but I really need my G.H.D'S I have tried other straightners but they don't seem to do the job on my hair.

I don't think that adaptor from Argos is a voltage converter. You would need something that specifically says it converts from 110V to 220V.

im going to have a look at ebay as Maplins are selling them for £30.00 + and that is a lot...
My Straightners say 220-240v 35w

110-230vac 60hz 120w do I definitely need an adapter?

I know that I probably do :) just trying to save some money. ;)

If they say 110-230 volts they will work though they may not get quite as hot. You will need an adapter from flat 3 pin (UK) to 2 pin (USA). Can but these anywhere; Boots at the airport, Argos etc
Oh thank you busdriver, glad I asked now.
I have 3 packs of adapters, there are 2 in each pack, one for europe and one for the U.S.A so i thing I'm ok there.

Hi all.

There is an item available on ebay called a "step up voltage converter". It costs £8 inc P&P depending on who you buy it from.This item is used to convert 110v to 230v meaning that your GHD's and the like will work just as at home.I bought one recently for use in the Caribbean as the sockets are (supposedly) the same as the USA but the converter actually has THREE pins instead of two.It has the "normal" two flat ones plus a thin round one.I'm a bit dubious as to it's suitability but if someone knows if there is in fact a third hole in an American wall socket then please let me know.

David
Just asked hubby who is an electrician and works with US 110V plugs every day at work. He works for an American company.

He said that, as far as he remembers, some sockets will take 3 pins although most will only take the 2 flat pins. He said that he cut off the third round pin with a hacksaw on one of our socket so that it would fit all sockets.

If you could be using a few appliances at the same time it is worth taking a 2 or 4 gang extension and plugging that into the adaptor.

Hi Luci.

Thanks to you and your hubby for the info.I was contemplating sawing the third one off.At least that way it should definately fit.The idea of a small extension is handy too as that means only one converter is required, although the maximum load this one will take is 45w.
Just need to go and start packing now :)

David
Glad it was some help. Have a great time and post your finding when you get back.

First of all please don't cut off the earth pin unless you are sure that your appliance is double insulated, IE it doesnt have a earth wire to the earth pin, with a step up transformer you are going to 230 volts which puts you more at risk
110 is much safer but can give you a nasty belt, if it has an earth wire on the appliance it is there for a purpose. I'm a sparks and used to work on 11 kva, believe me its not worth the risk.

Alan
Hi Allan.
Thanks for the info.
I guessed that this was an earth pin but what troubles me is that all the travel adapters that I've seen only have two pins, whereas this has three, so I'm not sure I'd be able to use it without removing the third pin.
The item it will be most likely to be used for is my wifes GHD's. I'm not sure if you are familiar with these but they have a European two pin plug which screws into a UK style casing, so there is no earth connection on these, only at the live and neutral.
I know this sounds a bit strange but I may end up taking a "junior" with me and if I really don't have a choice then I can take the third pin off!
Thanks once again.

David

PS: I meant to ask.How can I tell if an item is double insulated?For instance mains adapter for mp3 player or charger for camcorder with sealed plugs
Plastic casing and two pin plug provided by manufacturer usually means double insulated. A lot of sockets in the USA accept he three pin plugs.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.