General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
:yikes :cryWe sat there all evening waiting for you all to turn up!!!!!!!!

;) :rofl

Ok....in our hotel in Goa one year there was a man on his own with his daughter in her mid 20s. She had got an extremely bad back..couldn't stand up straight at all...from lifting as her job was a nursing aux. He'd read about having operations abroad and had booked for the pair of them to come out and see what could be done. He sort of 'invited' himself out with us that evening...his daughter was unwell and went to bed..leaving her door unlocked as they only had ONE KEY!

Over the course of the evening he got more and more 'oiled' as Shirley would say LOL! He insisted we then go to another bar he knew....we eventually made our excuses to go and he was last seen heading towards a kareoke bar :yikes We spent the rest of the holiday avoiding him and ducking down back alleys LOL!
I don't think so, but I do try and avoid taking hubby's brother & his wife on holiday with us. Nothing is ever good enough for them, and the couple of holidays we have been on with them, hubby & I have been absolutely mortified at their attitude towards staff in the accommodation etc. It does get very awkward, when they say let us know when you're off again!!! Most of the time we pretend that we've booked last minute, when we know he can't get holidays. :yikes :rofl
I don't think so,

What do you mean- you don't think so. You were with us on that holiday when we were avoiding that couple :rofl You can't have forgotten them surely :que
In Turkey a few years ago, there was a honeymoon couple at our AI hotel. The woman was an alcoholic - there was a group of us who did the "sunbed run" in the mornings, and as the buffet restaurant was open early we would all get a nice coffee and have a good early morning natter - we found out this woman was filling her coffee cup from the wine tap and then putting some coffee in the cup to disguise it :shock: :yuck She would then continue to drink all day. We were chatting one day and it turned out she actually lives about 4 miles away from me! I then spent the rest of the holiday avoiding her, I didn't want to get to the "let's swap phone numbers and meet up at home" stage of our "friendship" :oops: A couple of months after we came home, my son saw her swaying through the shopping precinct near his college; he ran into a shop to hide! :lol:
After reading this thread, i am so glad that i keep myself to myself on holiday :)
Me too Lassigirl!

I think me and my lot are sociable creatures, and we always meet new people on holiday.
For the most part we love it, it's an essential part of our holiday from which many lasting friendships
have borne fruition.
(This is also why we don't holiday in villa's - we love the social interaction that hotels and apartments bring.)

But we nearly always meet some people who we really don't like but are polite to, and others that are
ok in small doses, but for some reason seem to want us as their new best friends! :duh
(And this does tend to happen on most holidays. :( )
So we usually do find ourselves avoiding certain places we know or think they are going to be. :cry

You know, daft as it sounds, this is the main thing that puts me off going on a cruise.
I know that the cruise ships are HUGE, but the thought of being stuck on a ship and maybe
having to spend precious holiday time avoiding some people fills me with utter dread.

My poor husband, being an ex-sailor, would love to go on a cruise, but it's really a major problem
for me. Daft? Maybe. :que But it's just the way I feel.

Jeez, this makes me sounds really anti-social doesn't it? :rofl
I actually asked this question to hubby, and he said yes we have but I don't know who and I don't know where :rofl and it was probably you because i'll talk to anyone! (so true)!!
It was just the opposite for us Helen. About twenty years ago we were walking in Malta and a man who was pushing his wife in a wheelchair asked where the nearest toilets were. We were talking to them for a while and have been friends ever since ringing each other once a week and met up quite a few times. They had both appeared in Coronation Street, Crossroads, All Creatures Great and Small and many more. They are both in their 80's now and unfortunately unwell.
Not really, but I have noticed an awful lot of people ducking down alleys when 'Sir' and I appear!!!! :rofl
It's quite awkward sometimes on holiday exactly how friendly to be. I'm quite happy to pass the time of day with people and have a quick chat, but there's often people who take that as an invitation to join you at every opportunity.
It was the opposite for us too,we met a family 6 years ago and have been on holiday with them every year since,we only see each other twice a year,once for our two week holiday and again when we travel from Norwich to Manchester for a weekend.Their youngest son is very travel sick so they cannot come to us. :offtop
I try not to get too friendly with people for this reason and tend to keep myself to myself thankfully. We're going to Cuba in 3 weeks and there's 10 of us going including my brother in law, who's one for befriending everyone when he goes away so it'll be interesting to see how many waifs and strays he'll be bringing to our table. :haha
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.