Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
If anyone can assist by posting a review please do so HERE :tup

Pippy :)
Oh my God, how lucky are you!

Me and hubby went here in April this year for my 40th and left the kids and dog at home! We seriously couldnt fault the place.

We didnt have a swim up room but it was certainly luxurious. jaccuzi both in the room and on balcony, huge walk in shower, the most toiletries I have ever seen laid on, lovely four poster type bed, huge tv etc.

Food, just excellant. All the restaurants are a la carte so no canteen style buffet here. Make sure you try all the restaurants cos we didnt have a bad meal once. The choice for breakfast is pretty staggering.

the entertainment at night was pretty standard stuff and hubby enjoyed his daily game of lunchtime poker! If you want a lounger by the pool with the swim up bar you will have to be pretty early, all the others were fine. In fact on my 40th we went for spa treatment and walked by the others and they were pretty empty. The staff were all very friendly.

we went into Cancun one night - the receptionist ordered us a taxi and he actually waited for us for the whole night at no extra cost. We went to a place called Coco Bongo's and pretended we were teenagers again, you really should try to go, its like a nightclub with all this weird entertainment at the same time! Amazing show. As we were only there for a week thats all we did really!

One word of warning, dont go running straight out into the sea, its actually quite rocky which was a little disappointing and dont bother with the double bed type loungers on the beach they are not as comfortable as they look!

The other thing I must say is that each night when we went to bed, there would be two bottles of water on the bedside cabinets, low lighting and the classical channel on the tv! Oh and a couple of little chocolates and on my 40th they decorated the room with streamers and balloons and left a cake and a bottle of bubbly.

You will have a great time here!
Atley

thanks for your information

we have been to cancun twice and cant wait,

never been on our own, always with kids but cos its our 25th anniversary thought we would spash out as we never had an honeymoon due to getting married in the miners strike

any photos or more information regarding the hotel would be appreciated

thanks Denise
Hi Denise :wave:

I was so impressed with what Atley said about the hotel I had a look to see what I could find, if you take a look at the link below you will find 100's of excellent reviews along with pictures and video clips.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g240327-d499896-Reviews-Excellence_Riviera_Cancun-Puerto_Morelos_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

It sounds like a superb hotel

Graham
Graham

yes we have been following the reviews and we cant wait, thanks for the link anyway

Denise :wave:
Me and my wife went to Excellence in Nov 06 and we return in 3 weeks and 3 days (Sept 6th) And we are taking my sister in law and her boyfriend as we recommended it to them so highly.
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am at the prospect of this holiday and if its your first visit to Mexico then you are spoiling yourself, we have stayed in Mexico I believe its 5 times now everytime 5 star but this is the best one we have stayed at.
You'll have a great time and I'll post a comparison on my return from ERC, hoping it's as lovely an experience this time as it was last.
puds

thanks for your reply, looking forward to your review, we are staying in the junior swim up suites, any information would be great.

hope you have a great holiday
Recieved our tickets, YIPPEE!.
Aws we are also staying in the swim out suites as we did last time and thought they were worth paying a bit extra for.
Not be long now.
puds

you lucky sod, ha ha

we have got to wait until April next year but it will be here before we know it

have a great time, looking forward to hear from you when you get back
me and my husband are going here next April, i was wondering is anyone else going at this time or has been, if so any information would be appreciated, we have booked a swim up junior suite, cant wait

i know i have asked in a previous format but i thought i would ask again just in case someone has just booked it
Just returned from Excellence and heres a review of what I found.Oh and we stayed in a junior swim out room aws.
Me and my wife have just returned from visiting ERC (Sept 6-20) it was a return visit having already stayed there in Nov 06.
This time we went with my sister and brother in law who were so impressed with our photos from our 06 holiday they decided to come with us.
Again we had a lovely time, the hotel itself is much the same as we remember its kept very clean and well maintained, the staff by large are a credit to the hotel they seem to have the knack of not making the hotel too pretencious but knowing how to do a top notch job although there 1 or 2 examples of a language barrier but after all I don't speak Spanish and it was never a major issue as someone was close by to sort it out.
To compare it to our last stay I would have to say it didn't seem quite as good but that could be down to the fact that we had been there before.
Rooms.
The rooms were still kept clean throughout but use your do not disturb/please clean our room sign as we found that we often came back to our room after breakfast and the maid was already in the room which made it inconvinient if you wanted to put your swimsuite etc on, we also found the turndown service a little erratic she turned up a couple of times at 5 or 6 oclock but even then you just can dial 0 on your room phone and request a later time.
The room service we found to have actually improved since our last visit always prompt well presented and served in a very freindly manner by the servants who were excellent and most importantly it was hot and tasty.
The minibar was replenished daily and you can even request behind certain bars a different brand of beer (we requested Corona) and Diego behind the Kafe cafe bar just wrote down our room number down and hey presto on our return to the room at the end of day they were there.
Food.
Breakfast
In general the food was good The Barcelona which was buffet style had a great selection of pasries, fruit, breads (the cheese bread was delicious) cold meats, cheeses, bacon, sausage with a couple of cooking stations, cooking eggs the way you like them, if you would rather be waited on then the lobster house had a breakfast menu which was good .
Lunch
Lunch was for me the most enjoyable meal of them all (reasons explained later) always plentiful, good quality and a good selection I particularly enjoyed eating at the lobster the sandwiches were good, there also was buffet lunch at The Barcelona, pizzas at Oreganos and Burgers etc in the grill.
Dinner.
For me this was the only real dissapointment of our holiday , in general the food was still good the menus were largely the same as they were 2 years ago which was not the problem as the food last time was 1 of the main reasons we returned, the problem was the consistancy and quality of the meat (largely steaks) that we had, the Chauterbriand in the French which was simply 1 of the best meals I have ever eaten the last time we were there was nowhere near as good, on asking the restaraunt manager after the meal he confirmed they now use the meat of Mexican cattle instead of the black angus which is far superior,
On another 2 occasions the meat was fatty and tough, but then on 3 occasions the steaks were fantastic, the lobster was fantastic also although I was a bit miffed that after 4 days of closure due to maintanence of the roof (storm damage) which was of course no-ones fault it re-opened for 1 night only to be closed the next which was where we wanted to have our last evening meal.
Service.
Still a strong point of the hotel they were only to willing to help with a genuine smile even the gardeners say hello when they see you, although the service could be a little inconsistant as already mentioned it was usually just a language issue if it wasn't they simply weren't left a tip,
Grounds/gardens & pools.
The gardens are very well maintained there is always someone weeding or cutting the grass it is never overgrown there are a nice selection of flowers round the hotel and its nice and tasteful, the pools were mostly kept clean but there were occasions of polystyrine floating in the pool.
Hope this helps.
Many thanks for posting your detailed review Puds! :tup

If you'd copy it HERE that would be great! Thank you! ;)

Pippy :)
puds

glad you had a great holiday and any other information regarding the swim up suites would be great

you are getting me excited now even though we have to wait until April

once again thanks for your reply to my form

Denise
No problem aws. On the swim outs they are lovely rooms, a very good size but we did notice that our room 2002 was slightly bigger than my brother in laws room 2006 but It never bothered them it was just the design of the buildings.
Theres 2 sinks and a seperate shower and W/C, the shower is excellent its very big. The indoor jacuzzi is at the side of those ( its nice to light the incense sticks and have a drink while your having a jacuzzi). The wardrobes,in room safe (which is easy to use) and the mini fridge are along the back wall at the side of the jacuzzi. Then the bed (we had a four poster) is on a step and is quite high, the bed itself is firm but I like that. then you have a step down into a seperate sitting area which is nice and had a few meals there. finally the patio door which has a click lock and a slide in pin lock which is good for security which leads outside theres a table chair and small seating area, theres also the outside jacuzzi tub a hammock and 2 Sunlounges on your own bit of lawn.
Hope this whets your appetite further Denise.
puds

that sounds fantastic, we was getting kiddy before you returned from the ERC but we are getting even kiddier now that you have told us what to expect.

one more question please, what kind of things can you get from the room service i.e. food,and would we be able to get corona as when we have been to Mexico before this is what we have had to drink

once again thanks alot for the replies, do you have any photos from your stay?
goodness I hadn't seen these reviews before and I am truly conviced this is the hotel for us now. Just one small question. Please can you tell me what sort of time the evening winds down I hope its not too early ?
mel
Hey,

I thought i would send you a quick note. Me and my fiance are going to Excellence in April 2009, we are actually getting married there on the 2nd May.

I cant wait and the resort looks absolutely devine!!! i have been looking at everybodies picutres on trip advisor i dont know whether you have been on there and read any of the reviews?

Oh well i hope you have a lovely time.

Rachel :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.