Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
mobile fitter,

The days of turning a blind eye with regards to luggage allowance are well and truly over. It varies by airline, but they've really clamped down on excess luggage, especially the low cost carriers and charter airlines. This has been the case for the last few years. Nothing has changes, it's just check-in staff are now instructed to ensure luggage allowances a adhered to and anything over is paid for. The more weight on the aircraft, the more fuel it burns and therefore the less 'green' the airline is. It's a nice revenue earner for them too.

Darren
We nearly got charged coming back from Antalya in 2008. BUT if they have 'sent the luggage on its way' down the conveyor belt, they cannot charge you (even if only one suitcase has gone). The rep told us that, and the supervisor who came over said the same. Don't know whether thats changed as we haven't been overweight since.
Dazbo
Whilst i agree with you that more weight uses more fuel, at £12.00 per kilo you could fly a 757-200 for free! i am sure that this is just a revenue earner for the airlines and that in future as fuel costs go up so will the cost of excess baggage.

I wonder how long it will be before they start weighing PASSENGERS! :yikes

Alan :rofl :rofl :rofl
mobile fitter wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before they start weighing PASSENGERS

It already happens on some flights were weight is critical for the flight. Airlines use the 100kg rule generally for flights, that is an average of 75kg per passenger plus their luggage. Average weights are reviewed periodically as the average is on the increase!

The easiest way to avoid any charges is to stick to luggage allowances or pre-purchase excess at a reduced rate if you know you'll need the extra :tup

Darren
Hi there, :wave: don`t know where to put this question but as it`s about luggage here goes.
I`m going to Marmaris,for the first time on 2nd July,with my hubby and 17yr old son (cant wait)
I`ve paid extra so we can all have 20kg of luggage each.My querrie is can we take 2 cases with 30 kg in each case,or do we have to have 3 cases with 20 kg in each.
Sorry if this seems a daft question,but havent been abroad for 4 years and things keep changing with luggage etc. Love reading your forum and am so looking forward to going to Marmaris
Hope some one can help me with this little problem,thanks in advance Angela :)
angash,

Your post is more suited to the dedicated HOLD LUGGAGE: contents, allowances, excess baggage, Q&As topic over on the flights forum. Whether you can pool luggage or not depends on who you are travelling with. Assuming Thomson or Thomas Cook, you can pool luggage. However the maximim acceptable item with Thomson is 23kg, 30kg with Thomas Cook. Anything in excess of these weights won't be accepted for travel. This is for health and safety reason (baggage handlers).

Darren
I think the total weight should include that of the passenger, It is unfair that someone weighing 20 stone gets the same weight allowance as someone who is 10 stone
Just been on Thomas Cook site thinking about adding more baggage weight but they're looking £70 for an extra 10kg.... :yikes

Just gonna have to travel lite & leave room for buying goodies out there....
Bribrian, we added an extra 5 kgs each to our 15kg allowance with Thomas Cook and it only cost £15 each.
I did this a few weeks after we booked as I didnt want the hassle at the airport as their scales always seem to weigh heavier than my luggage scales. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.