Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
exchange rate
5 Posts
Hi

I use a site called XE dot com to check exchange rates. It's very easy to use.

Not sure where "back home" is, but if you're from UK, you can get commission free in Post Offices, and also noticed the same at airports too.

Hope this helps
you will usually find exchanging sterling cash for evro in Greece will give a few points extra, don't be fooled by commission free, its usually a worse rate than the tourist rate

wizard
I've found the best place in the UK to be Marks and Spencers, usually slightly better than the Post Office. I've given up on traveller's cheques as you often get charged twice - if no commision when you buy them, you get a lousy exchange rate - then you get charged commission when you cash them! In Greece, the best deal is often a bank or post office - but don't lose sleep over a few euros if there isn't one nearby. I've also found credit card purchases work out well, even taking into account any charges, as the exchange is at the bank rate.
Hi

I purchased some travellers cheques last month from the Post Office with no commission as I work for them. 8)

As I still needed some Euros, I checked out quite a few places before I settled once again for the Post Office last week. :roll:

Unfortunately, the Euro is at rock bottom at this time and the difference from last month to this was shocking :shock:
:cry:

I don't think the rate really changes from one place to another, more importantly is getting them whilst the rates are good :!:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.