Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Sarah & Tez

Thanks for the info, I have had a look at Tut tours and there website was very informative.

I really do want some prices from Jolleys, as I will be travelling with them. The places that I want to visit are:

Valley of the Kings , Queen Hateschupt Temple
Luxor & Karnak Temple
Dendrah via nile cruise

and if you can provide other costings that would be great.

Thanks
Hi Peggy, just to give you some idea of prices, I don't know the prices that Jolleys charge but here is what you would pay if you were in Luxor and just did it yourself:

Luxor Temple = either a short taxi ride from any hotel in Luxor, average price around LE 10 (£1) or a steady stroll from most hotels (unless you are on crocodile island that is) Entrance fee around £2

Karnak Temple = This is a short taxi ride from most hotels, unless you are staying at the 'Hilton' when you can walk it in 10 minutes. Prices as above from other hotels. Entrance fee around £3

The V.O.K. the Ramesseum, Valley of the Queens, Temple of Hatshepsut, Medinet Habu, Colossi of Memnon, Tombs of the Nobles, The Workers Village etc are all on the 'West Bank' this is opposite Luxor, across the Nile. You can easily get there by booking a taxi for all day for around LE 100 (£10) yes 10 quid! but dont forget a decent tip, say another £5

You should buy your tickets at the kiosk near to the Colossi of Memnon, the average price per site visited will be about £2 per person.

If you want to visits 'Tuts' tomb, purchase an additional ticket (around £4) when you arrive at the V.O.K. (you must purchase your admitance ticket to the V.O.K. at the Collossi of Memnon kiosk before you go to the valley)
The ticket allows you to visit several tombs in the valley.

The day trip on the Nile to Denderah is best booked locally and will cost around £25 each.

I am afraid that I can't be too precice on prices, but It was September last year when I was last there, and I know that the admmission prices to the sites were due to go up a little, but it won't be a lot.
Tez :D
Hi Tez

Thank you so much for the information, really useful.

Flying on the 14th Sept, so excited, cannot wait!!!

Peggy
Tez, I'm afraid your prices are indeed a little out. Most admission prices have virtually doubled since last summer - for example Tut's tmb is now £7, Karnak Temple is £5.50

We've just got back and booked all our trips with Jolley's.
This is what we paid:
West bank 2 days Day 1 - Kings, Queens, Hatshepsut, Collosi of Memnon. Day 2 - nobles, workers, Ramesseum, Medinet Habu. £30 per person.
Balloon Trip £50 pp
Cairo - flight, pyramids, sphinx, lunch, museum - £120 pp
3 Night cruise, including all meals, Kom Ombo, Edfu, Aswan High Dam, Philae Temple £75 pp plus an extra £30 pp for Abu Simbel and £15 pp for Nubian Village
Abydos and Denderrah by car £85 for the group (6 people)

Red Sea day trip is £25 pp but we didn't book this, probably would have got it cheaper had we decided to do it though.

We had the same Egyptologist for everything which was fantastic, we even got him to guide us round Karnak free of charge!
Ask Ahmed at Jolley's for Walid as your guide.
NigelM,
Thanks for the updated prices, like I said in my post I was told last year that they were about to increase the entrance fees but they did not say by what amount, so my prices were as of September 2005. I must say that even with the increases in entrance fees it is still a cheap experience. The prices for the other trips you did looked very good especially when you break it down PP. Hope you had a good time, we are off again 14th Sept.
Tez
Hi Nigel

Thanks for the prices, and recommendation for Jolleys. They definately sound like the people to go with.

Can't wait for the 14th Sept now
Peggy, look out for me & Mrs Tez (look for the TeeShirt) give us a wave or a shout. :wave Dont forget the taxi driver 'Yaseen' outside the Mercure Corallia. have a good one! :glynis Not many sleeps to go :pele
Tez
Hi Tez

I will keep my eyes open for you and Mrs Tez.

It would be really strange if we do bump into each other.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo excited, this time next week I will be on the plane!!!
Hi Peggy & Tez. I have been reading all your comments and views and have been very excited to reply. Me (J) and my Fiance (Shah) are going to Luxor and flying on th 14th September from Manhcester. Having read all the messages, i have found them very useful, as you have. It is our first time to Egypt and similarly we are trying to calculate the expenses. It is very nice to know hints and tips before travel and also make friends along the way. You never know you might be flying with us. :lol: Anyone in the discussion group, please can you let me know about do's & dont's and food expenses, where to eat and must see's. Greatly apprecaited. (J & Shah)
J&S_Ahmed, Hi
Let me use my crystal ball,
You are on flight BY589A?
You depart at 9.20am?
You have booked with Thomsons?
If so we are on the same flight!

You will easily spot me, I am the 6ft tall really handsome, Brad Pitt look alike guy, suave, sophisticated, debonaire. :P
Ouch! the wife has just slapped me! :oops:
Oh alright! I will be the overweight middle aged bloke looking at his watch and muttering if the plane is late. :rage

'J' It is a good idea to read the upset tummy topic and also the posts regarding what to do in Luxor. The dress code for muslim countries is also worth noting. It is a bit late to talk about expenses but generally speaking Egypt is cheaper than places like Spain, Greece, Turkey & all of Europe.
The things you must see bit is easy! see everything! it is all there in Luxor.
If you have not already done it, take £ Sterling cash, £ Travellers cheques, Visa, Mastercard etc. (don't bother with $dollars)
Do's & Dont's
Do smile a lot and be friendly, Do accept it is a different culture, Do enjoy yourselves. Do remember the Eygptians are lovely people, Do make yourselves known to me & Mrs Tez if you think you recognise me at the airport.
Don't be to critical of what may appear strange to you, Don't expect things to be the same as at home, Don't forget your camera!

I would strongly suggest that you read as much as possible of the various topics that have been posted regarding Luxor in this forum before you go on your holidays, it really will help.
Also it goes without saying that should we meet each other at the airport or otherwise, it will be my pleasure to answer any questions you may have.
Tez
Hello Mr & Mrs Tez,
Thank you for your reply. I think we might be flying together :shock: . By the way, i almost got up from my chair when you described yourself as Brad Pitt lookalike :oops: Oh well never mind! :roll:

We will surely meet, if not at the airport, i'll probably make a point to shout out for Mr&Mrs Tez on the plane :lol:

We will be doing as much research and reading before we go, although not much time left now. We are both Muslims (hence surname 'Ahmed') and this is our second trip to a muslim country. Our previous holiday was in Tunisia.

I can't remember the flight number, but yes, the departure time is 9.20, with Thompsons. Do keep an eye out for us. We'll definately need to chat. :D

See you soon

J & Shah
Hi

To anyone who can help or would be of assistance it would make my life a great deal easier.

My partner and I have decided to escape to egypt for Two weeks end of november.
Our delema is where to go where to stay whom to book with and the costs of various things.

We have found what seems to us a real bargin with a company called Going Places.co.uk for 14 days B@B in Luxor or Hurgadada at a cost of £600 including flights.Does this seem possible?
I recently viewed some flights alone to cairo and they came in at plus minus £300 each.

The things we'r stuck on is how long would be enough in eygpt and where would be better to stay.

The costs of the entrances to various places pyramids,valley of the kings and so forth.
Also tours and travel either from Luxor or the resort Hurgadada.

Your help with this delema would be great.

Thanks

Jean
Hi Jean,

You don't say if the £600 is each or for the two of you. If it is each, I suggest that you look around some more as that is not cheap for B&B accommodation.

If you go to Luxor, you will be surrounded by the treasures of ancient Egypt which will keep you fully occupied for two weeks, no problem. Hurghada is a beach resort, more suited to sunbathing and watersports. You have to make the choice of which type of holiday you want as the two resorts are quite some distance apart and it is not really feasable to travel between them on several occasions.

If you look back on this thread, you will find lots of advice and some prices regarding Luxor.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards,
Roger.
Hi
Can anyone advise me of a place to book our trips from in Luxor as I have just been quoted £45.00 for a trip to Abydos and Dendera per person..on coach.. by hotel rep at Sheraton. ....anyone got this cheaper?
and .. what was your favourite excursion beside west bank light shows and temples......??
Hi Sunrise,
Sorry for the late reply but I have been revamping my machine.
The price for Abydos is about right. Please he aware that it is in a police convoy, both ways. not that there is a problem with that other than that the police work it to suit themselves and not you. Sorry to be a party pooper but you may be a little bit disapointed with the trip. My own experience was as follows: Meet up at around 8.00 am in a side street in Luxor, join something like the 'Ben Hur' chariot race, with coaches, taxis, ect. plus police vehicles all heading for Abydos. Travel to Abydos at breakneck speed with no comfort stops en route and coaches jockeying for pole position. Journey time to Abydos approx. 3 hours. Arrive at Abydos, try to beat the coach parties to the ticket office, buy ticket. Check with driver as to the time to be back at the coach/taxi for return trip to Luxor?. To be told, 1 hour & 15 miniutes!!!!! All this bloody way for an hour & a quarter? YES!
Run around Abydos like a maniac, (and I really do know what I want to see) Back on the taxi/coach to speed back at a rate of knots to Dendera/Luxor. (As we had been to Dendera several times we gave it a miss.) arrived back in Luxor at around 3 pm. £ 45.00 for this? was it worth it?
You bet your life it was ! Iv'e been there! I have seen the cradle of Egyptian civilisation, I have seen the hall of the Pharoah's, I have seen the exquisite carvings commmissioned by Setii the Ist, I have seen the attempts of his son Rameses II (the great) to emulate his father (and fail). I have passed the pot sellers on the road to 'Abydos' (translation: The Mother of Pots) and wanted to stop and to buy one to take home, only to be told tnat it was not possible (for your safety), I do not want to be safe! I want to see all of the things that enthralled me as a child, "I want to stop and buy a pot", I do not want to pass your historic sites at 80 Km an hour, I want to wander around the Hyperstyle hall, I want to take photographs without some official jobsworth telling me that I will destroy a limestione relief by taking a photograph with a digital camera, something that has already been exposed to daylight for three thousand years, ! (we are not talking of polychrome images here). Will you enjoy it? you bet your life you will. Will you do it again? no you won't, so do it now! Overall, Iv'e done it, got the Tee shirt, Worn it out.
Oh! for another chance.
Tez.
:D hiya maggieomx here just out of intrest where abouts in luxor do you both stay??
and how many times have you each been to luxor?? just being nosey!! :oops:
Hi Maggie

I've been to Luxor around 9/10 times including two just cruising holidays.

Hotels stayed at are The Novotel (I think the name has changed now), The Sheraton, St Josephs, The Old Winter Palace and The Movenpick.
Hi Maggie,
Six times including two Nile cruise & stays, usually stay at the Mercure Corralia on the Corniche, but have used the Sheraton & the Movenpick on Crocodile Island.

Hi Carrot, nice to see you back again. The last time we were in Luxor in September, the Novotel was all boarded up. I believe it has been bought up by a German operation and that they are refurbishing it, plus a name change.
Tez :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.