Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I wouldn't mind some info on the above as well if anyone has it.
I would love some feedback on what excursions people have done in Sharm this year, approx cost and if they felt they were worthwhile - also if anyone knows what excursions First Choice are offering in their 'welcome meetings'. We are going to be staying in the Nabq area. Thanks in anticipation :!:
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:24 am Post subject: Excursions , Sharm
I would love some feedback on what excursions people have done in Sharm this year, approx cost and if they felt they were worthwhile - also if anyone knows what excursions First Choice are offering in their 'welcome meetings'. We are going to be staying in the Nabq area. Thanks in anticipation

Welcome meeting by Thomson was the usual lets try to take as much money of you as we can !

Stars and dine -- bedhouin dinner and astronomy session out in the Desert ***** :D

Quads -- wife did this with Thomson regretted it immensely they were not allowed to go fast or given any free riding in any area :(
others who booked privately did better :)

Snorkelling at the National Park by boat
We checked prices and found that the Reps was cheaper ???? :omg

one point to watch out is when taken by coach you get a stop for people who have not got equipment to hire some --
Unlike in the States the snorkells are re-used and don't look like they were washed either !!!! :shock:

I'm also a scuba diver and on one of the swims decided to stay on the boat as I felt the drift swim was in a little TOO much current for my liking

but as for the snorkelling there was as good off the hotel reefs in Sharm as to where we were taken in Ras Mohamed- the edge of the park :wlink

wish I'd booked a dive boat instead
I like the sound of the dinner in bedouin tent - not too keen on camel ride to get there though ! Was it really good ? Is my birthday when we're in Sharm and thought this would be nice way to spend it. Did any children go on this trip or is it adults only ?

Probably me being thick - you said Thomsons expensive and Reps cheapest. Is Thomson not your rep or is Reps something completely different ? :?

Cheers

Liz
has anyone got info on an excurisions to valley of the kings from sharm?
who you booked it with and prices ?
we are going to go to Sharm El Shelikh on our honeymoon next year, does any one know the cost of a day trip to the pyramid's either by coach or plane? :oops:
many thanks
Hi

We are off to sharm for Christmas, and were hoping to do one of the day trips to Cairo to see the pyramids, nile, sphinx etc. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced option to do this, and would it be better to book it in advance? Also any other trips that anyone could recommend would be brill. We will be staying in the Karamana hotel.

Also my passport runs out in February - will I need to renew it before we go and does anyone know how long this takes?
A visa requirement usually states that a passport must be valid for six months after the date it is issued. So you will need to renew yours. If you have not done this before it can be a little confusing, may I suggest that you use the 'Post Office' passport service (sorry for the advert) as they will check everything for you and guarantee that it is back within a specified time ( 2 weeks I think). But best of all you will not have the problem of returned applications or missing documents, especially if you are new to this. There is of course a charge but it's not that expensive, call in a PO and ask about it. Hope this helps. :)
Tez
Going to Sharm on 2nd October - thinking of doing the bedouin trip and maybe a boat trip.
Will we need a visa for any of these?
I am sorry to say this but I thought the Bedouin night was the worst trip I've ever been on. The coach was full and everyone was moaning about it, not just the Mrs.

If your going on trips go to Cairo or Luxor (By plane). If diving is your thing there's plenty of boat trips.

regarsd

Stew
just back from sharm we went with libra hols and were informed that the bedouin trip was cancelled until further notice.All other trips were up and running as normal.Didnt really get reasson as to why :lol:
The bediouins were having a gun battle with the police a few days after the bombs went off. They were hiding some of the bombers, thats what it stated in the papers. We were told the trip was off because it was not safe. I assumed that it was down to that.

Shame as it was a trip that i would like to have done.
Same here wendy,that was one i was really looking forward to aswell :cry:
hello everyone returned from sharm last week (best hoiday ever & hotel - ritz carlton) didnt want to come home! ok trips

1. do not book with the reps you will pay an absolute fortune for example thomas cook were charging £40.00 to go to tiran island we paid £14.00 in naama bay with ciao carlo.

2. Do your trips through ciao carlo they are really good they are located near the taxi rank on the left hand side across the road from hard rock and along a bit.

we went to cairo on the bus for £28.00 a big difference from the £100.00 or £200.00(by plane) that reps were charging for the same trip!

Also did mount moses (a massive treck - not for the unfit but well worth it) think that was about £25.00

Went to Tiran island for £14.00 and this was my favourite part of the holiday this trip made our holiday - it was like paradise :P and the fish were amazing

Luxor is £126.00 by plane we planned to go but couldnt.

we did bedoin dinner which was lovely for £16.00

and glass bottom boat for £5.00

whatever the reps tell you about the companys at naama bay - dont listen they are just out for commission.
Can I ask about the Tiran island trip - must admit I have never heard of this but sounds good :D
Presume it is a boat trip?
Do you need a visa to do it?
It's a boat trip with stop offs for snorkelling and you don't need a visa :wink:

Pippy :D
I am heading out to Sharm in March for the 2nd time and fancy making a trip to Cairo or Luxor this time. I have a few questions so if anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated!

Which destination is best to do in one day?
Roughly how much does it cost?
Is it best to book with the rep or with an agent in Sharm?
How long does the day last, from hotel pick up to drop off and how much time is actually spent travelling?

General comments on visiting Cairo and/or Luxor in a day?

I know I am asking a alot so many thanks to anyone that responds in advance!!

Jemma
Well, the prices can vary a lot! I have no experience of Luxor - so just talking about cairo here.

It is more expensive to go with your tour rep (im not sure of the price), but by doing it this way it can feel safer, as they take you from each site to the next in a nice bus with air con etc. and you have a tour rep with you telling you what it's all about.

Or you can book it independantly, which is definately cheaper, but not for the faint hearted!The buses are ok, costs about 70 L.E return now I think, and take 5 or 6 hours, the bus normally leaves at about 11 at night, and gets you to Cairo in the early hours of the morning, but it is normally possible to sleep on the bus. The problem then is that you are in Cairo and you have to find your way around, bustle your way through the city and find all the good sites etc. whilst arguing with taxi drivers etc. etc. etc. But for some people its more fun this way and you get more of a feeling for the city!

The bus then comes back about the same time, 10 or 11 in the evening, but you have to book your seats onthe bus in the morning.

I hope this has been of a little help! Cairo is definately not one to be missed - its an amazing city with a lot to see!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.