Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
excursions
11 Posts
I was thinking along similar lines but maybe a train trip north or south, don't really mind. Don't want to do it blind though and so looking for someone who has done this sort of thing previously.
Two suggestions for you!

Going south. Train from Verna to Gokarna. Lots of temples nearby and also Jog Falls. Gokarna itself is a great place to stay.

Going north. Train from Thivim to Ratnagiri then a taxi to Ganpatipule. A wonderful temple built next to the beach and again lots of places of interest to visit, a short taxi drive away.
After 3 years and a 4th trip coming up in Feb, we have done:

Waterfalls
Spice plantation
Elephant washing
Crocodile trip
Delhi
Taj Mahal
Train to Karnataka for Jungle trip & Udipi
Overnight stay in beach hut (Arshvem Beach)
Old Goa
Dolphin trip
Sunset cruise

Any ideas on what to do in Feb? (based in the South)
We may do Gokarna as mentioned above - sounds interesting!
Kippaxian

We are hoping to do a couple of excursions this time. Which would you recommend as you seem to be well travelled. Have done waterfalls and beach huts at Palolem before

Thanks for any ideas

Bob
I would definitely get a recommendation for a good taxi driver!! These guys will give you so much more information and take you off to places that most people don't get to see!! They are very proud of their country and love to boast and show it off!
Below is a very very rough guide! These are MY personal opinions only and others will have their own!

Waterfalls - Nice trip which was combined with the spice plantation tour - The waterfalls are about an hour in a taxi (may need correcting on this!) - I would suggest asking your taxi driver to stop at a roadside fruit seller to get some alternatives for bananas! After arriving at the waterfalls, you swap your taxi for an open top 4 x 4 which bumps you around for about a half hour (times??) A walk is then required to the waterfalls themselves ( not suitable for the those with difficulty walking!) which takes you passed the forever hungry monkeys which you can stop and feed! (may fancy a change from the bananas readily available at the entrance!) The falls themselves are spectacular and the water freezing! You can grab a beer/soft drink from one of the mobile sellers and take it all in!
Spice Plantation - on the way back from the waterfalls! We arrived and immediately had lunch and the local spirit drink! Meal was ok but nothing spectacular - We then went on a tour round the plantation learning about spices herbs etc and watched a little demonstration on how trees are climbed ! (tip required!) Part of the tour included a couple of elephants that you could buy melons and seed for and feed them as well as going for an elephant ride too for not very much - there's a little surprise at the end of the tour which I wont spoil!! Brrrrrrrr!!!
Elephant washing - this is also done at the spice plantation but we chose to do this on its own - this was fantastic! (I love hefffalumps so this was brilliant!) You get to wash and scrub as well as sitting astride and getting a "wash" from the trunks! An experience I will never forget! May have done Hindu temples on the way back from here too if I remember correctly??

Dolphin Trip -Guaranteed to spot Dolphins apparently! We did, fleetingly! They are wonderful creatures so to spot them was a sight in itself - you also go across to the old Goan prison as well some chaps house which is huge (diamond merchant I believe?) An ok trip and not very expensive

Crocodile trip - Spotted a few relaxing around the banks of the river as well as lots of birds pointed out to use - have to admit that we were slightly hangover for this! There is free food (a basic sandwich!!) and free beer (we didn't partake so not sure of any limitations!) - I was a bit disappointed with this trip if I was honest but wasn't feeling my best!

Sunset cruise - Good trip -taxi to Panjim and the cruise takes about 2 hours. Bar on board and we sat on the upstairs deck - busy with locals who waste no time in dancing to the music put on as well as some dancers who take to the stage and perform some Portugese/Goan dances. There a few of these cruises going on at the same time and it makes a nice change to do something different of an evening - doesn't cost a lot at all!
Old Goa - A must if you like to visit churches and history - there is lots to explore here - Basilica of Bom Jesus, (where the Relics of St Francis Xavier are) as well as the Church of St. Francis of Assisi, a good day out!! Beware of the hawkers as soon as you step out of your taxi!!! Here's where a good taxi might come in handy!

Night on the Beach in a beach hut - I would recommend these for a night - great experience - we made 2 days of this on a secluded beach and was our "blow out" with lobster as the sun was going down and we woke to watch dolphins off the coast - a great experience and would recommend doing

I would certainly do:

Waterfalls
Elephant washing
Beach Hut
Old Goa
Sunset cruise for a couple of hours on a nighttime

If you want any info re Jungle trip and the Taj (nearly got scammed out of £200!!) let me know! Definately do DIY to the Taj! So much cheaper

If you do feel adventurous, get on a train - great experience, swapping my sweets with a locals equivalent without any spoken words was an experience in itself! Very cheap!

Some photos here: http://img207.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=20090313397.jpg old ones though!!!(includes the jewelers where we got the others halfs engagement ring made!)
Try Hampi in Karnataka, You can get a 2night/3 day trip for about £50. Train from Margao takes about 8-10hrs. It means a few early mornings but its a great experience. http://www.hampi.in/
Hampi was great and even better fun when you have the Gooner fan tagging along, it was an excellent trip

Hi gooner

Are you back in business in this area, we would love to meet up for a Honeybee and a chat before October
Hi you two, I didn't realise you were back home. Not working yet but would love to see you both again :wave:
A great "trip" that not everyone tries is to catch the bus from Calangute to Panjim. Get off and cross the river on the free ferry. The trip is only a few rupees and is great fun and a "local" experience.
In Panjim the market is interesting if a bit gruesome around the butchery departments.
For an ice cold beer in a frosted glass Hotel Venite is a must. Sit in their "Romeo and Juliet" style balconies and watch the world go by below. Magic !
Thanks for all the ideas. Panjim is definately on my of to do's this time. I have been going there the 3 times I have been and never got there yet
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.