General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: Fake Reviews
38 Posts
I have had an email from the hotel we have booked for October (we are on their mailing list) about the renovations they have been carrying out over the winter. So I decided to have a look on TA for the latest reviews. One person has posted with pictures that show it in a mess. A reply from the hotel points out that these were taken in an area that is as yet unfinished and not in use for guests. They point out quite rightly that the person who took the pictures should not have ventured in there. So why try to create problems when there isn't one? Another NEW review actually refers to a holiday taken in August last year? Why wait so long? The reviews from others do state that there were some minor problems that were quickly sorted and did not spoil their holidays.
Personally we are not in the least bit worried as our experience with this particular hotel over the years is first class. I accept things may not always be right but it seems some people are more interested in finding something to complain about.

fwh
We have just returned from a short break away in Ilfracombe (review added, report yet to do) and the owner of that was telling us that he was approached by a certain site (TA) wanting him to become a member and he declined. The next minute there was a review from some gentleman claiming to be from Scotland that absolutely slated the place...the problem was, he knew it was a fake review becuase he was not even open for buisness yet as the place was still being refurbished...it took him weeks to get the review removed. I dont think it is right that someone can twist the knife before a place is even opened!!
Just so we know what is the policy here on HT for posting of reviews. Is there a time limit between the holiday and the review?
Whilst I have highlighted one particular instance on TA it is not the only one I have seen. It is only my opinion but I would have thought 4 to 6 weeks maximum, although it would be better done within a week if possible. Members and guests are continually researching and posting a review, as with the one I have mentioned helps nobody.

fwh
There isnt really a time limit but anything within the last 12 months is acceptable. New HT gives prominence to reviews where the trip/holiday/visit has just taken place. That make sense?
i will try to do mine within a week of returning this time just depends how busy with work you are when you return.. :think
oh by the way its hot and sunny now in turkey :sun2
I try to do my reviews within a month :tup - I think reviews are reasonably relevant if they are published within the "season", larger places probably OK for up to 1 year.
I always try to do them within10 days although sometimes im a bit late, I also post on the other site and am surprised i have not been banned yet as i post as wizard ht [they obviously haven't twigged who i am ] the other thing i always do is advise the hotel of the report with a link to it, as i feel they should know what's being said even if we don't give right of reply in reviews

wizard
I try to do do them within a month but sometimes it's a bit labour intensive. On one five week holiday to Australia I stayed in 13 different hotels so I think it took a bit longer. Some hotel managers do check review sites on a regular basis, I recently posted reviews of hotels in South Africa and I received an email from one thanking me for the review and another manager posted an answer to my review on TA.
The thing is, I do like TA, but the thing is, it only gives part of the story, say someone at the bars refused someone alchohol as they where underage, and than they thought it was because of something else, and it went on TA with false accusations and saying the person who refused them is this, that and other even though it was NOTHING to do with that?

I do do reviews myself though.
The reviews on HT have always been place in date Order of the trip not date order of the review. So provided the author put in the correct travel dates the review Would fall into line and not be present at the top if a visitor had reviewed the hotel from a later departure date.

Van
I think the sooner you do a review after your visit anywhere, the better. That way, everything is still fresh in your mind.
When we were holidaymakers, I always tried to get my reviews done no later than two weeks after getting back. The sooner you get it done the better, someone could be looking for the information you are about to provide !! :D :hyper

Les
Just back from Ibiza and just posted my review :tup
The Riomar in Santa Eulalia - great place!!
Just posted one for Las Velas apts , Port de Pollensa :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.