Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Faliraki
17 Posts
Generally regarded as a bit club 18-30. Been told by some people who actually live there it's not that bad, wouldn't like to try it myself, as when I went through there it was all music bars and takeaway food.
magalulff is the same and still familys go there.
Louis Colossos Beach Hotel, Sun Palace Hotel, Lymberia Hotel, Luca Faliraki Hotel, Calypso Hotel

which one whould u recommend
The only name i know is the Colossus Beach, this is the Kallithea side of the resort (close to the waterpark) where you find the large family hotels. I doubt you'll see much of an 18-30s crowd here as they tend to stick to the cheap, basic studios in the centre of the resort.

To be honest the 18-30s reputation is somewhat dated anyway. Alot of time has been spent clamping down on and discouraging some of the 'wilder' behaviour the resort was known for. Faliraki is more of a family destination now, especially low to mid season. Sure, in the height of the summer you still get the party crowd to a degree but they tend to head out pretty late, if you're a family your paths are unlikely to cross too much.
Luca Faliraki with children. It is really good.
sun palace hotel is super. Its really big, clean, got a great pool and had lots of entertainment for the kids. Its also in a good location. You are in faliraki but about 15 minutes from the centre. Its the best area to stay in Faliraki personally
I haven't stayed there but been there and through it lots of times and it seems dead during the day. Everyone must be on the beach or sleeping off the hangover. Someone I know had no idea of its reputation and was staying in one of the big hotels. He only realised it was a 'bit lively' when he stumbled across Bar Street on the last night of his hols.
So, the take on it is, yes, it still is a bit lively, but the big hotels are 15 minutes outside Falaraki, so your away from the 18-30 lot.
Mmmm....ok if you want to spend your time in the hotel, or not in Falaraki itself (so why go there in the first place :que ).
I've been to Falaraki, once when we booked to go there not knowing it's reputation and to be close to Rhodes town, and a second time to drive through it to see if it was still the cheap & nasty place it was last time......It was. In my opinion, Falaraki has got a bad reputation, and no matter how much the Greeks and the British tour operators try to 'paste over' this, that reputation will not go away.
Iam sorry to hear people still being put off going to falaraki due to its previous reputation. I myself have been going to Rhodes once or twice a year since1998 initially refusing to go anywhere near Falaraki but once Iheard that it had calmed down a lot and that they were trying to encourage families to go Ithought i'd give it a go and hedged my bets by staying on the outskirts Kalithea. Iwould now not stay anywhere else this area is ideal for families the hotels are all good quality it is on a bus route to lindos and rhodes town there is and you are near by many of the palces to visit butterfly Valley, Seven Springs, Filerimos,Rhodes Town,Anthony Quinns bay,Ancient Kameros and many more are all car drive away. then there is the water park within walking distance and the fun park in Falaraki and the beach is vast and child friendly and if you feel the area lacks in appearance the greek people make up for this in their friendly hospitality,so we should be helping them build a good reputation for families by going and not hindering them by going on about the past.Yes there are late night clubs and bars still but they are as isay late night so bythe time families go back to their hotels these are beginning to liven up so the two can live happily side by side
Just to say we agree with the previous post.Been going to Raki since 1994.When we go in April/May or Sept/Oct it is very quiet.What went on in the past was no worse than any large town in the UK on a Saturday night.The club reps. programme set out to destroy Faliraki.Having done that, they then moved on to Aya Napa.
Hear, hear tpebop and aerina. I couldn't agree more.
Aerdna. You just hit the nail on the head by saying you stayed on the outskirts in Kalithea. You didn't say you stayed in Falaraki itself.
Yes, Kalithea, Rhodes town etc are nice places, (not my cup of tea as I prefer the smaller studio to the large hotels) but still not Falarki is it.
You go and actually stay in Falaraki itself for your 1/2 week holiday. I would have a bet that your opinion of the place changes.
So many people on this forum say Falaraki is now ok, family friendly etc...but very few, if any, actually stay in Falaraki!

As for 'helping the Greeks to build a good reputation' in Falaraki. It was the Greeks themselves that bought up the bars on bar street and turned them into places for the 18-30 lot. In fact the whole resort itself was marketed to attract this sort of 'clientel ' and the Greek bar owners made a lot of money from this. So it was the Greeks themselves who gave Falaraki it's reputation, all for making a quick buck.

I would like nothing better than For Falaraki's image to change for the better. As you said, it's well placed for visiting Rhodes town (that's why we went there) and other attractions on the island. However, I feel this could take quite a long time to do, and yes, maybe they do need help - But how? I suppose a starting point could be British tour operators, i.e. Thomson, Thomas Cook.... and highlighting the fact that is trying very hard to change it's image, and they could help by marketing it in a different way. But we all know money talks, and I doubt they would give us the time of day, but maybe they would....................?????
intervoice aerdna did mention staying on the outskirts but also quoted "Yes there are late night clubs and bars still but they are as isay late night so bythe time families go back to their hotels these are beginning to liven up so the two can live happily side by side" so i'm presuming they did go into the resort itself as there aren't any nightclubs in the Kallithea area.

While Faliraki certainly isn't a favourite of mine the tv/press hyped the resort's problems to be far worse than they ever were. It was party resort and that's all the majority were doing. It has DEFINITELY calmed down over recent years and low-mid season is very quiet compared to the Faliraki i knew in the 90s. Sure in the height of the summer you will still see the 18-30s crowd but to a lesser degree and as aerdna says these come to life as the families head back to their hotel. I'd say without a doubt that the resort is a lotmore family friendly than it was.
As has been said not everyone is suited to the same place we all have different views and want different things from our holidays Ijust wouldnt put people off going somewhere that if you look at it positively can have a lot going for it.
When tourism is the main source of income Idont blame anyone for trying to make a living when the opportunity arises like buying up the bars but that doesnt mean they new exactly how it was going to pan out and what affect this would have on their reputation.
I have stayed at Sun Palace Idont know if you would class this as Falaraki.
Any way each to their own Ijust hope that Falarakis reputation improves and that the smaller resorts survive from the all inclusive culture that the large tour operators seem to be heading towards
I think you may find that these tour operators like thomsons are not British owned
I have to say I feel very sad for the smaller business owners, not only on Rhodes. The all-inclusive trend is ruining thyeir livelihood. A taverna owner I know modernised his place but the nearby hotel went a.i. that season. From employing 6 people from the village he now runs the place with only his father to help out in the busiest part of the season. Not good for him or the now out of work villagers. :(
:whoops deleted breach of terms of posting....wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.