Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
plenty to do

What is it you like to do ? Best family resort in my view is Puerto Pollensa, but it depends on the answer to the question.
thanks for reply, pollensa,
we like doing everything ! beach, waterpark, sightseeing, dolphin shows, playparks, evening entertainment, eating out, the lot !
do you think puerto pollensa covers all these ?
is it a big resort ?
Hiya,

Sounds to me like Alcudia may be more up your street. I personally think PP is too quiet. Alcudia has got a fantastic safe beach, small water park (plenty big enough for a 7 year old) good eating out, couple of bars with family entertainment (Cheers and Peach Pit - not good for food though!) plus you've got the harbour for a more "stylish" night out if you want it!

We have been there for the last three years with our boys 11 and 8 and it has suited us down to the ground. Can recommend the Paraiso Appartments especially.
do you think puerto pollensa covers all these ?

No waterpark, dolphin show or playpark, all the rest in abundance. Alcudia probably provides all you have described, but in a more crowded and less attractive location...personal taste.
thanks guys, always good to get peoples personal opinions !
trouble is, theres too many nice resorts to choose from !
we like a pretty looking resorts, not overly crowded, with plenty of eating out choices and good old family nightlife with entertainment, have heard the pirate show is good ?
any other opinions on the various resorts would be most welcome !
Ah well, now you've said "pretty" - Alcudia certainly aint that! Pollensa is a pretty, more cosmopolitan resort nice harbour to walk round at night. Friends of ours were staying in Pollensa while we were in Alcudia and its only an 8 euro taxi ride away, so perhaps you could pick one and alternate!! Pirates show is excellant, fairly expensive though but our kids sat transfixed throughout.
so, guys, is alcudia a bit of a concrete jungle ? went to praia da rocha last year and it was quite ugly apart from gorgeous beach !
8euros for a taxi seems ok, maybe stay in puerto pollensa and visit alcudia ? ooh, just confused !
what about other resorts ?
c'mon everyone, chip in with your ideas !
ta very much !
Depends on where you're staying. The Paraiso is right on the beach at the very bottom of the main strip so not noisy at all, its just with two boys their age, Alcudia gives us all a bit of what we want.

To put the cat among the pigeon, have you thought of Santa Ponsa? We have had a few great holidays there, but as the boys grew needed somewhere with a bit more going on, but you'll certainly find the bars/entertainment you want down there, also you are closer to the bigger water parks/dolphin show/pirates show?
thanks atley, will have a look at santa ponsa on the resort reports, alcudia has got lots of good reviews, most people saying its more family orientated, which is what we want, will have a look at the paraiso too, is it reasonable ?
also have you been late may before ?
Hi yes, we always go late May - this year 23rd May to 6th June. the first year we went with JMC but for the last two years have booked independantly. This year £1100 including the car for two weeks. I think that a lot of English people staying here book independantly - Sky travel quoted us £1800 for the same two weeks this year which obviously didn't include the car. The weather has always been great at this time of year but does get a bit chilly in the evenings which is good as theres no air con there.
thanks everyone !
1100 sounds like a bargain to me !
will check out sa coma too !
Is it easy driving round majorca, or is it easier getting local buses ?
do you book direct with hotel/apartments ?
To get up North fairly straightforward as its nearly all dual carriage way.

We book by e-mail direct with Hotel.
Took our little girl (aged 3) to Cala D'or in May and we had a great time.
Lovely beaches, pretty marina, loads of nice restaurants and really child friendly. Stayed in Cala D'or Playa Apartments which were also first class.
Only downside was the transfer from the airport - approx. 45mins to an hour.
I can definitely recommend Sa Coma.

We have been here four times and I think it has what you are looking for. It has various restuarants, a gorgeous beach, a traffic free promenade that runs right along the beach which is lovely for a stroll in the evening, there are a few attractions for the kids, trampolines, go-karts etc. and the neighbouring resorts of Cala Millor and Cala Bona are close by. The nearest water park is Alcudia which is great and doesn't take that long to get there. It is very mucha family resort and all the times we've been we have never seen any single sex parties or rowdy behaviour. By the way I believe they are building a water park there now but not sure when it will be finished.

A good hotel to stay in would be the Coma Gran, it is a Thomson Superfamily and has loads going on for your 7 year old, it's ideally placed for all the shops and restuarants and is a 5 minute stroll from the beach. We love it.

We went to Puerto Pollensa a couple of weeks ago and although it is a pretty resort we much preferred Sa Coma as we found it just a little too quiet for my boys who are 10 and 7. They like the small attractions that Sa Coma has to offer. As someone said it is down to personal taste but I would be surprised if you were disappointed with Sa Coma.

Good luck !
As previously mentioned, Santa Ponsa is nice. Also, you are close to waterparks, Pirates Adventure and Marineland. In the evenings there is live entertainment in The Square and when that has finished there are loads of Irish bars. It is quite a small resort though.
many thanks guys, sa coma has definately caught my interest, sounds lovely ! it's such a hard decision choosing a good resort with kids, as , to me , if she's hapy, we are too ! obviously, she understands that its give and take and me and her dad want a good family orientated night life, well, who wants to be in bed by nine ? !!!!!
anyway guys, keep the recommendations coming, open to any suggestions !
ta, juby
It really is down to personal choice. We went to Sa Coma a few years ago and had a nice time but we did Puerto Pollensa last year and preferred it there and will be going back in August. If it is bustling night life you're after though I would say that Puerto Pollensa would be too quiet for you. It's mainly made up of lovely restaurants and bars where you can relax and watch the world go by, to me it's a more up-market place to Sa Coma but it really is a case of each to his own.

It may pay to have a look in the photo galleries for Majorca to give you some idea of what the area's are like :D
My vote would be Santa Ponsa. Not only is there plenty to do it's quite central for anywhere else on the island that you'd like to go, and has an excellent bus service.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.