Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thanks, guys, for taking the trouble to post your appreciation.

I always intended to post an honest review of both the boat and the hotel, especially as the Etoile du Nil (La Scribe) didn't feature much on this or other sites and hence, we booked not knowing anything about it.

This was our first trip to Egypt - we normally head west to the Caribbean or USA. I was generally impressed by Luxor; the people always smile, are very friendly and whilst they are often trying to sell you something they do respond to a polite "no" (or 'La' in arabic). You've got to be prepared to tip - more so than in the States. I took a number of US one dollar bills for this purpose. Some hotel staff earn about £14 (sterling equivalent) per month, so a couple of dollars per day for the pool waitress ensures great service and is a big boost for her family income.

It's a poor country and there are a number of street children. Some I suspect are homeless, others are enterprising young businessmen trying to earn extra income selling papyrus book marks to the tourists. I now know that a biro, a block of soap or some coloured crayons are greatly appreciated by these young kids - we gave our two packs of playing cards to Mustafa (well, a couple of friends passed them on) and he was made-up.

We'll return to Luxor, and definately to the Sonesta. My review of that hotel says it all.

Again, thanks for you kind comments.
Mike
aww mike, what a shame. but we had the same when we did a day cruise, and it was awfull, nowhere to sit on deck if you did get somewhere then you had to stay there, the smell of the loos was unbearable too. so i will never ever go on a cruise again.
but the rest of the holidays was wonderfull.
i hate it when the T/O rips you off over prices for the trips.
Hi Mike
Loved reading your review of your hols, glad you and Viv had a good time. We are off to Sharm in July, so better stock up on the wine boxes!! Did Viv manage to take any clothes as knowing her if it was a choice of wine or clothes I think I know what she'd choose...a girl after my own heart!
How did you get on with tipping? What did you find to be the best approach, tip at the start or end of your hols? You know a welshman and his money are not easily parted
Love
Anne & Matt
Anne and Matt,

A bit of self-deprecation never did anyone any harm - I'm assuming you are Welsh and not simply a pair of Scots lambasting the Welsh :lol:

Weight was a bit of an issue. We packed on wine box (over 3 kg's) in one case and balanced clothes between the two as best as possible. With only 20kg each we were over by about 4-5 kg at the outset. So, we both ditched some clothes on the assumption that the hotel (2nd week) would have laundry facilities.

A further 3litre wine box purchased in the dep. airport duty free was not counted as part of the weight as we'd checked-in by that stage. You could therefore buy 2 wine boxes in this way - but choices are limited at most airports. So, to answer your question - the wine won by a (thick) head.

Tipping: a constant source of embarrasment to us Brits. On the boat (1st week) it wasn't appropriate to tip at the outset. Apart from the room steward (who was great) and the waiters (also great, but what effort's involved in removing finished plates) little contact was made with other staff. Drinks etc. are bought on the room credit facility. Therefore, on the penultimate day when the rep's gave out empty envelopes we put £25 (sterling equivalent - 250 Eg £'s) in the env. and handed in to the rep. We also privately tipped the room steward several US dollars in addition.

At the hotel, this was a different setup. Our first encounter was with a drinks waitress near the pool. Whilst the sangria Viv had was pretty naff, my beer was OK (Meister Beer - local). I tipped the waitress $2 and the following day, a further $2. This ensured her attentive service and she very kindly reserved on three evenings one of the outside dining tables (only about 6) for us. I probably tipped her about $12 throughout the week and her service was first class. Likewise, a dollar or two per day for the guys setting-up the umberellas and loungers alwways ensured we had our chosen spot every day and they moved the umberalla as the sun moved. Mid-way I tipped the room steward as he again was brilliant.

The crass advice has to be, tip a reasonable amount at the first opportunity those members of staff who are likely to be looking after your needs throughout the week. This is likely to guarantee you better service than those who don't tip at all (there are many).

If the average Egyptian hotel worker earns the equivalent of about £15 per month a tip over a week of, say, £7 is a massive amount to him/her and not a lot to us.

Take pens, soap and playing cards for the kids as well - although Sharm might not have as many poor children as Luxor.

Have fun,
Mike
Thanks for the info Mike! I should hope you would know that we are welsh through and through. If we were taking Papa Bill we would have a real problem on wine versus clothes!!

Love
Anne
Anne & Matt,
until "Papa Bill" was mentioned I hadn't clicked - I'm a dummy. Of course you're Welsh through and through, but hey, we're not blaming you......I'm no Anne Robinson or Tony Blair (I keep my nationalistic comments to myself) :lol: :lol:

I've PM'd you.

Cheers, Mike
Briar,
in hand. Thanks.
Mike
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.