Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I haven't been fortunate to stay in Raffles but we did have dinner at Doc Chengs. You don't need to worry about ties and jackets. Husband wore a short sleeved shirt and a nice pair of trousers. Its smart casual required. During the day, just wear what you would normally wear. For any restaurant I would say avoid shorts and vest tops and you should be fine.
OH had the same experience of returning to Singapore after 23 years. Quite a few changes in that time. No Boogie Street for a start :lol:
Unfortunately, big problems with the travel agent. When I got the confirmation, we were booked in "Raffles the Plaza" which was certainly not what was said over the phone and does not even exist anymore in that name. It is a long story with some harsh words directed (deservedley) at the travel agent but a compromise was eventually found and we are staying in The Mandarin Oriental. It is a disappointment as Raffles would have been special but The Mandarin Oriental should be very nice as it is very highly rated.
Hi Beegee,

Knowing how expensive the real Raffles your comments about the price surprised me. I've never known them to be cheaper than any other 5* hotel - never mind a lot of them - and special offers - not really.
However, I didn't want to appear negative so I kept my mouth shut!

I will say this though - the last couple of people I've known go have been very unhappy as they have been disappointed by how the staff have treated them (especially as it can be the most expensive hotel you will ever stay at). Staff can appear cold to European honeymakers, mainly because they get far better tips from the Middle Eastern oil rich zillionaires that frequently take over the hotel.

So, you're better off at the Mandarin Oriental, save your money, and nip up to Raffles for a Singapore sling etc, the worse thing would for you to be disappointed with staying there!

TS
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.