Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
favourite drink?
24 Posts
Plain Lime Soda and Salty Lassi for me during the day. I've only ever had the Honeybee in coffee, I'm not that fond of dark spirits so usually stick to Vodka or Gin on an evening. I often split a couple of the large bottles of Fosters with OH ( don't like the kingfisher very much) for a sundowner before leaving the beach
I like the local coffee liqueur on ice, a bit like Tia Maria or Kaluah, also nice as a Black Russian with vodka and coke.
I too don't like Kingfisher,preferring Kings or Fosters but do like Honeybee, although I have decided not to drink it this time and have gin and tonic instead as an attempt to beat the mossies.
lime soda , with salt and sugar also hits the spot
I also enjoy a banana lassi at lunchtime .
Kings for me, and last year had home made Baileys at Moonlight Bar Mmmm.. Always love a Pina colado at The Delhi Dahbar, got to be the best around.. Anything wet really..Mmmm..
Hi all.... :cheers
my wife loves a Port Wine as a nightcap, sat on the balcony....
I personally will drink anything thats on offer, but a ice cold Kingfisher does go down quite well...
Used to drink only Kings, but over the last few years it seems to have changed its taste..a little bitter i think... :think
the first few times I went I used to drink another beer thats not available anymore and it was far better than any of the ones on offer now, but can't remember the name. it had a green label on the bottle.
Not Belo! yeuch!
Always surprised that you can't get Cobra beer.
Was it called Royal Challenge ? Had that on a jungle trip but never found it along the coastal belt (same with Cobra) isn't that brewed mainly for export (UK) ?
It was indeed Royal Challenge!
I thought that might be the name but had a feeling that it was the name of a Whiskey

I don't know if Cobra is brewed for export, I doubt it though as shipping costs would be prohibitive.
I'll have to look on a bottle to see just where it is brewed for the UK market.

added.
Found this via Google
Cobra was initially brewed in India from 1990 to 1997. However, since then it has been made for the company in the rather less exotic environs of Bedfordshire, although it also began brewing in India again three years ago.

Interestingly, Kingfisher is also brewed in Bedfordshire, I believe at the Sheppard Neames brewery

another addition
if you are a beer fan, these look interesting
http://www.sabmiller.in/brands_indus_pride.html
Cheers del ! Got sick of Kings after a few days and went on to Tuborg, thats not bad either. Kingfisher never been a favourite of mine 'till they came out with the smaller bottles.
I have asked about cider before, and can't think who mentioned a place you could get a well known brand, have tried a few places selling 'home brew' but not worth having a 2nd one.
Hi Spike

My wife only drinks Cider or Vodka. Have asked for Cider everytime we have been there but no one ever sells it. For her having no Cider is the only downside to the holiday. If you ever hear of anyone selling it can you let me know please

Thanks

Bob

:tup
Will do Bob, but don't hold your breath and I guess if it can be found expect to pay the prices we were told for canned Guinness - around £4 each
there were also some different beers on offer at Gato Loco, Candolim, last season that I tried a couple of that were OK for a change.
No idea what they were called though.
Last year in Agonda we had a few bottles of Sol which were very nice but cost I think 200 rupees a bottle but they did go down rather nicely
Have seen some cider on sale think it was called Tempest don't know how good (or bad ) it is
take a bottle of "white lightning " with you :D
del949 wrote:
It was indeed Royal Challenge!
I thought that might be the name but had a feeling that it was the name of a Whiskey

I don't know if Cobra is brewed for export, I doubt it though as shipping costs would be prohibitive.
I'll have to look on a bottle to see just where it is brewed for the UK market.

added.
Found this via Google
Cobra was initially brewed in India from 1990 to 1997. However, since then it has been made for the company in the rather less exotic environs of Bedfordshire, although it also began brewing in India again three years ago.

Interestingly, Kingfisher is also brewed in Bedfordshire, I believe at the Sheppard Neames brewery

another addition
if you are a beer fan, these look interesting
http://www.sabmiller.in/brands_indus_pride.html

Serious clarification needed here! :yikes
First, Cobra did not "originate" in India and was not available there until a few years ago. It was invented and originally manufactured (brewed would be a misnomer) in the UK to serve the Indian (sic) restaurant market.
Reference;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_Beer
It is brewed in India under licence from its western owners, currently Coors, from the US of A, but based in Burton on Trent, just down the road from my home.
Can't find that Google link, but its totally wrong.

Next, Royal Challenge............. this has been a brand of both whisky and "lager" in Goa for at least the last 20 years. Many local lagery beers were available (and maybe still are if you look hard enough) including London pilsner, various Haywards, etc. At one point, RC whiskey masqueraded as a blended malt :rofl

Well, it was a lot better than the likes of OC, Officers Choice, but blended malt :tongue :really

Next?
Sorry BB. you need to read the link on Wickipedia you provided

The beer was originally brewed in Bangalore, India, for export to the United Kingdom; the company now has contract brewing operations in the UK, Belgium and India.

You are correct that Cobra is now brewed at Burton , since 2010.
It was previousley brewed at Wells brewery Bedford.
You are of course correct, but the quantities brewed in Bangalore were so tiny, that in realistic terms it was irrelevant. The founder was a British Indian who mistakenly thought his product had to be brewed in India.

Incidentally, the founder of this "Indian" beer sits in the House of Lords!

http://www.cobrabeer.com/about/history

In the early days, 'is Lordship and then current business partner werre trundling around in a Citroen 2CV with 15 cases of bottled Cobra trying to flog it to "Indian" restaurants
yes, I read that.
But back to the original topic. :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.