General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I always try the local tipple but sometimes one is just enough! So it's always rum, usually as a mojito, unless it is Anejo which I'd sip like a decent malt with a bit of water added, but I also enjoy the occasional daiquiri or Crystal beer if it is really hot in Cuba. But my palate was sorely tested in China - the spirit shots were lethal and rough! For the same reason, I rarely drank schnapps on numerous alpine walking holidays but I enjoyed the fruit brandies and especially Himbergeist made with raspberries. I also became a fan of Trishtrash in Slovenia - equal quantities of red wine and fresh orange juice! It was actually far tastier and more refreshing than it sounds but it never tasted quite the same whenever I tried to make it at home! My friend refers to this effect as Retsina syndrome but I was never keen on Retsina even in Crete! I did like the homemade walnut brandy at one taverna in Kalives - made by steeping green fresh walnuts in some sort spirit and given to us as complimentary after dinner digestif.

But my first trip to Andalucia was a revelation - until then sherry meant the sweet cream sherry - Harvey's in the blue bottle if they were pushing the boat out - that my elderly female aunts etc drank but once I'd tasted Fino and even better Manzanilla, I was hooked! I now always have a bottle of usually La Gitana (mainly because it is the brand which is widely available in the UK) chilling in the fridge and it is my favourite aperitif.
You are far more adventurous than me!
Neither OH or I drink much, he mostly drinks non-alcohol beer and I drink water but we do try a local drink when we are away. Usually in Crete you are given a glass of Raki , sometimes Ouzo either before or after the meal in the restaurants and OH will only take a sip and I usually finish his drink and this year in May the owner of the apartment where we stayed for part of the holiday gave us a bottle of Raki along with some olives as a present, we had a few small drinks and brought the bottle home with us and it's still sitting in the cupboard.
I did drink a few Mojitos when I was in Cuba and I guess over the years I must have tasted a few different specialities but none stand out as a favourite.
I can't drink any spirits (they make me shudder & are too strong), or wine (gives me acid). So I only drink lager 🍺 🍻.

If the restaurants bring us a small shot after our meal, I take a sip out of politeness, shudder, then pass it to hubby 😁
Must admit I really do like a nice cold lager in a cold glass , very hard to beat , I do like the odd liqueur but the only main spirit I drink is Bacardi , really enjoy the moment on my reward flight with my feet up , a Bacardi and coke , plate of warmed nuts and a good film , of course after a couple of glasses of champagne .
I'm an easy to please man with simple tastes !! :D
You cannot beat an ice cold Mythos lager anywhere in Greece -just doesn't taste the same at home tho'!
Equally an ice cold Tusker after a days safari in Kenya!
Rum and Coke on a boat or beach anywhere in the Caribbean. The only place I always found disappointing for drinks was the good ole US of A. Can't stand their totally flavourless lagers like Coors or Bud.
Many moons ago when I was young, the pubs were full of beer drinkers. I think infact, you'd be sniffed at if you drank lager. In 1978ish I moved to Holland where lager was the main drink. It took awhile, but I of course persevered, 😉 & my taste buds changed & from then on lager it was.

A year or so later on returning home I was sniggered at for ordering lager 😨 but nowadays it appears that lager is preferred over beer.
I'm a lager drinker, so always drink the local stuff. It's always cheaper and better than anything imported. I'm not massively into spirits, but I'll always have at least one local tipple. You really can't go to Turkey without having a glass of raki!
I don't like raki. When I went to Goa I was looking forward to trying honeybee as everybody raved about it :yuck I was so disappointed!
Is Raki like aniseed? My friend would only drink Pernod abroad as she said they can't water it down 😂
It has to be Havana rum and Coke with a splash of lime. My one trip to Cuba has converted me for a lifetime
We always go for Vodka and Tequila during the holidays. We also make margaritas and a few low alcohol drinks.
something sparkling!
And inspired by those, who know what hot temperature is. Spanish cava or Italian prosecco...
And rum with pineapple juice...
I also like to add a slice of orange or lime or a some fresh mint leaves just to make it look yummy. :cheers:glynis:sun2
When in Finland last year, I discovered Lingonberry gin, which is as the name suggests, made with lingonberries instead of juniper. I'm not normally a fan of gin, but this was really nice.
I have never even heard of lingonberries! :cheers
i drink vodka as my drink of choice everywhere, except in Cyprus when brandy sour becomes my tipple for the whole time i am there.
i have tried to recreate this in the uk but the brandy we get here is not really suitable, the nearest i can get on a regular basis is the greek brandy Metaxa.
i also like a good red wine and having tried the local stuff all over europe am glad that nowadays i spend a lot of time in Spain where they do have some very nice reds.
I believe that raki and the Greek ouzo are very similar. But I also like feni which one finds in Goa, India and I think that is similar.
Most folk hate them all.
I’m sad to have to guiltily admit that most things alcoholic, I find pleasurable.

But, in Cyprus where I go every July, my evenings always start with a wonderful glass of ouzo.
And most years, I bring a bottle home with me
– but it really never ever tastes the same as it does on those warm Cypriot evenings
watching the sun go down.
So much so, that I found the other day I have three bottles of the stuff in my cupboard. I guess that it probably doesn’t need to have a shelf life restriction
– but I am wondering if I can use it as weedkiller in my garden. :)
Fiona, they are a bit like small cranberries, but the taste is a little sweeter:- https://www.thespruce.com/what-are-lingonberries-2952920
ah yes they definitely look like cranberries!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.