Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
There are two large supermarkets (LIDL and E Leclerc) on the main road at Parchal outside Ferragudo, but half a mile or more depending on where you are staying, perhaps a bit of hike if you have no car. There are a number of small shops in Ferragudo itself.

I don't know about the water-taxis but there was talk of a ferry to cover for the fact that the bridge over the river to Portimao is closed to traffic for the foreseeable future. I don't know what's become of that idea.
Thanks for that Cubsur. How do you get to the resort from the airport if the bridge is closed? Can you recommend any restaurants in ferragudo.
hi we have just returned from Ferragudo and can recommend 2 restaurants barnards and paradise. please send me a pm if you require other details re bakers, butchers and other restaurants, regards Marc
Taddy,
Thanks for your reply. I am unable to pm you, don't know why? Would be interested in knowing more about Ferragudo, is it possible for you to pm me? Am new to this forum and not really very up on computer wizardry.
new members are not afforded the use of the pm facility until they have reached the necessary number of quality post..this may sound harsh but it is to stop, [or at least reduce] spamming of members.

anything holiday related [provided it doesn't infringe the rules of posting] should be made on the forums for the benefit of all members

wizard
Taddy,

Perhaps it is best if you could share your information not only with TRAVELMAD-UK but others that are reading in ;)

Many thanks

MarkJ HT Mod
sorry about previous message didnt wish to cause a problem. re the 2 restaurants i mentioned Barnards is more a home cooking establishment. Le Paradis is excellent for meat freshly cooked on a BBQ, an recommend the mixed grill 6 different meats and sausages served on its own BBQ, you will have to wait for your food but its worth it also has childrens play area outside. both of these are on the road to Caravero with Le Paradis about 1km out of town. In the town are a couple of bakers, a butchers, fish market and a couple of ATM's. i believe the old bridge is still open to pedestrians but not for cars. the new bridge will add about 15 mins to your journey. sorry i cant post a link to other website but if you was to visit a website called villaferragudo you will find further info about the town, restaurants and the villa we rented (hope this is ok to post) any other questions please ask.

link activated....wizard
Taddy,
Thanks for your excellent post. We are staying at a private villa in Vila Castello and are so looking forward to our holiday. Having been to the Algarve before we wanted to try and find a more authentic portugese village. Expect to be lazing around our pool, going for lots of long walks along the beaches and eating many fine meals in the evening.
Hello from Canada,
As someone who has stayed in Ferragudo ten times I can recommend the Farragood restaurant very highly. For something more elegant (and pricey) go to Sueste on the quay. Rei de Praia (at Caneiros beach) is also wonderful. For a quick less formal meal try the Toc Toc and for a great tosta try the Beirra Mar (they also make the best coffee!). We're there in March so I don't know anything about the water taxi. There are, of course, taxis in Ferragudo and a bus service to take you to Portimao (where the best fish restaurants are right downtown across the Arade from Ferragudo.

Enjoy
if you wish to avoid the bridge get off the aA22 OR EN125 at Lagoa head for Carvoiero but take a right at the first roundabout up to the water tower ,left through Sesmarais and follow the back road into Ferragudo, not so much traffic that way.
The old bridge across the river between Ferragudo is scheduled to re-open to traffic next Wednesday, 15th July.

That will make getting to those places beside the Arade a lot easier, as all traffic has been suffering a four mile diversion.

In readiness for the influx of visitors, the local council has installed barriers and ticket machines on all the local car parks.

I will confirm next week that it opened on time - or did not!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.