France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
at st malo its the berths the brittany ferry that goes into there is a overnight one and the condor ferry is teh fast ferry , lots of people go into Caen and Cherbourg nowadys Caen is not that much different in mileage from teh main places in brittany even thou it may look like it on the map it is actually a difference of 2 miles , i didnt believe it at first but its is true

as for La Rochelle and St Nazaire i dont think they have the infrastructure for passenger ferries like the other ports do , and i think the port authority may have restrictions at st malo and even roscoff, justthink the french will make a fortune out of us brits in tolls and general spending when we arrive in calais and just get on teh motorway abd head south

another reason is that when the tunnel was completed a lot of people used that and P and O and Brittany were losing customers if you look at the compannies taht used to go dover -calais and now look at what is left they cut back and teh 9 hr trip from Portsmouth teh St malo was at teh time no getting full was sailing half full , due to the tunnel and also teh length of trip , this year a lot of sailings ar esold out but maybe brittany will look into it and add more sailings onto the route , also you have to realise the supplements for teh niightcrossing are almost £500 as you have tohave a cabin , and also the return trip is at 10.45am therefore you are losing a day of your holiday

hope this helps sorry aboutthe abysmal speeling
We are going on a two day trip to St Malo at the end of the month. We have booked to go as foot passangers, as we don't want to stray far once in St Malo.
However, I have no idea where to leave our car in Portsmouth. Has anybody done this? The alternative is to go to Portsmouth by train - but is is far to get to the ferry port?
Many thanks. :D
As far as I remember, there was a multi-storey 'cage' at the port where you could leave a car. Why not contact the port authorities - they must have a website?
Yes - you're right. I found this link on the Portsmouth Port website, which gives details:

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/i.php?s=p&l=2&ss=planning&p=cparking

Thank you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.