France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
St Malo is a walled city and it will cost far more to stay 'intra muros' -inside the walls- than outside. The city almost flows into the nearby towns of St Servan and Paramé, and Dinard is just a short drive over the estuary over the River Rhince tidal barrier.

For lists of hotels might I suggest you google the website of the local tourist information office - Office de tourisme de St Malo and you should find the website available in English too. Don't be afraid to look under 'Hebergement' which means accommodation if you need a list straightaway. Nearly all hotel staff and those working in tourism in Brittany speak fluent English.

Have a great time, and do post more questions if you'd like. I can always use the personal messaging (pm) service if you don't want to post your question openly.

And as regards the choice of ferries, I'd go with Brittany Ferries especially on an overnight booking. Their landside admin is not always up to scratch, but once you get to the dockside and aboard their service is second to none. Book your hotel independently for the best choice and a wide scale of prices.
I'd agree with Alsacienne go with ANY ferry company other than Condor they are far more competent as some of my friends in Jersey will testify

St Malo is a useful place to get out of fairly quickly then you are close to Carnac and Southern Brittany within a couple of hours BUT it is also a place of beauty and history and worth a few days stop over
Brittany ferries are great once onboard, but if you can manage to get onboard without wishing to punch one of their loading staff, you are doing well.

In saying that, i have no comparison to make. My parents did the old Blue Star ferry from Rosyth before they stopped and they said it was night and day compared to Brittany, so much better
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.