Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I don't think Ros will help, but I think this is (insert random swear word) awful.

The strange thing is, I can see how this mistake can be made (easily) and understand why it might take a while to go back into your account.

However, their apparent malaise in fixing this problem is just mind-boggling. I'm sure that everyone dealing with this at FC would be horrified, and i'd like to think, fixing it, would be a priority. The fact this hasn't been fast tracked horrifies me.

Personally, I would be buying the papers today and writing to all the people who fix problems (try Tony Levene in the Saturday Guardian money section).
I do have an overdraft limit and it still well exceded this. The bank do hold some responsibilty I agree and I will be dealing with them when they open on monday. As for people still saying how drastic it is to cancel the holiday then how do you suggest I pay for airport parking and other holiday expenses when first choice have stolen ALL MY MONEY! I think I will be speniding most of my time sorting out an unpaid mortgage and bills rather then sitting on the beach somewhere. People who accept such shoddy service get what they deserve unfortunatley in my opinion.
micky
I think the reason people (myself included) are saying is that it was maybe a bit drastic to cancel your holiday totally is that you may now find it difficult to find something suitable at this late stage, assuming that you will still be considering going on holiday - however from this comment you probably won't be booking another holiday.
I think I will be spending most of my time sorting out an unpaid mortgage and bills rather then sitting on the beach somewhere.

The way I see this is that you WILL be getting the money back.
In addition, you have a very good case to claim back all the charges you've incurred by this error. I can't say you definitely will get the charges back as I don't know enough about it.
As that is a financial question, maybe you could ask for an answer on the forums on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com. (apologies mods if I'm not supposed to give out this particular web address). If the world was fair, you WOULD get charges back.

then how do you suggest I pay for airport parking and other holiday expenses when first choice have stolen ALL MY MONEY!

If you are not travelling until 5th May, couldn't you have left booking the car parking (and other expenses) until after the money goes back into your account?

I don't think anyone has suggested that you accept such shoddy service.
This is perhaps one of the few complaints I've seen posted where EVERYBODY is in agreement that you've been treated very poorly by the Tour Operator.
I appreciate that you are very upset about this and are maybe under a degree of financial stress, but you seem to be coming across aggressively to everyone who has posted on this thread and given you positive advice and support.

Polly
Not at all, I am not being aggressive towards everyone and am very grateful for the advice given. It is up to the individual person if they accept this treatment towards them and if they still want to deal with a firm that causes this amount of upset for them and their family but I would not do business with a company as ruthless as this. It can take up to three weeks or longer to get the money back from first choice, possibly longer if I have to take the legal route. Untill then the bills and costs mount up and its great to say send the charges and cost to first choice but it is still something that needs to be dealt with now and not when first choice decide to.
Like I said before I am very grateful for the advice from everyone but I still stick to what I say that if people are willing to put up with this and holiday with firms that treat them badly then service will never be improved as they will continue to get away with treating people like this.
I really don't think that the money should have been debited from your account if it was going to take you well over your overdraft limit - you do need to question the bank about this.

Whilst I appreciate the financial burden this has placed upon you and agree that the tour operator should refund the money asap I do feel you need to temper your aggression when dealing the tour operator on the phone. I think quite often those who complain in a polite manner get things sorted out far quicker than those who complain loudly and not so politely. Be firm but polite.

Pippa
micky
just because First Choice have cocked up your booking, it doesn't follow that they would do the same with your holiday.
In fact, I'd say the odds are against it.
I think my first move may have been to try to get them to provide the upgrades free of charge as recompense for their error.

I'm a bit confused about some of your comments:
It can take up to three weeks or longer to get the money back from first choice, possibly longer if I have to take the legal route.

The reality is that First Choice have taken £6400 WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORISATION.
Have you hit them with this fact?
I can't understand why you're talking about maybe 'taking the legal route'.
Have they admitted that taking £7000 rather than £600 was an error on their part?
If so, why would you need to resort to the law to recover the money?
Have you said to them?:
first choice have stolen ALL MY MONEY!

Polly
Micky!

I really feel sorry for you, and would hate to find myself in the same position, - How the hell first choice managed to debit your account with such a large sum of money is beyond belief! Infact it's disgusting, and a case a very bad management, and especially with the attitude they have taken, when you have phoned them!. This money should have been in your account within 3 days, if they'd have got their finger out! (Plus interest charges/compensation),I mean we're talking £7,000 here not £7!! keeping calm, and polite when you seem to be banging your head against a brick wall, would be damn near impossible. I don't blame you for one minute cancelling, and would probably have done the same thing.

I really do hope you get things sorted soon, and keep us informed!

Belly!
Thank you Bellyballyboo, I am sure nobody would be calm in this situation. Maybe you think I am exagerating I dont know but I usually do my food shop today. I couldnt. Luckily my son is at his friends all day and they are looking after him, feeding him etc. My daughter doesnt eat much anyway thankfuly but that is not the point. I have spoken really calmly with first choice and have been polite etc. I am not a shouty type of person. I am not questioning the standard of holiday they will provide as I usually travel with them and they have been very good previously. Even a first choice worker this morning couldnt believe the way we have been treated and left with nothing, but still she couldnt do anything. However whe was very polite and that helps. I will be closing all my accounts with the bank and taking my money (when I get it.lol!) elsewhere. I am sorry if I have come accross agressive or upset but maybe some people are more fortunate and it wouldnt matter if almost £7000 was taken from their account. But it matters to me. To top it off, we just received our tickets, and our friend who works at the hotel emailed me to say he has upgraded our room for us.lol! Shame!
Have they offered you a full refund of your holiday costs?
Micky!

Have you thought about contacting your local paper about this? I'm sure they would get their finger out if you did, no firm wants bad publicity. I'm glad you spoke to a more helpful/sympathetic employer at fc today - although it's not helping your current situation is it? Its absolutely disgusting that you have been left without any funds, and are unable to even get the weekly shopping in.- And no, I don't think your exagerating at all- and I totally agree,- I wouldn't be able to keep calm either, - I'd be absolutely furious if they'd taken £700 let alone £7,000. :yikes. No you have not come accross aggresive at all, upset maybe (and quite understandably so!). Like another poster suggested try martinlewis, the money saving expert, there are plenty of discussion forums, and you could ask for advice there - You would get good advise, and pointed in the right direction. I have used this site on a number of occassions, and it's great.

You say, you received your tickets today? Have you actually received confirmation, that you have cancelled? Just that it seems strange you have received tickets etc.... Talk about rubbing your nose in it!! (especially with the upgrade). I really hope this money is put back into your account soon, (and with compensation,).. I'd definately be seeking legal advice. Keep us updated...

Belly
Thanks Belly. I will be getting a full refund for holiday cost too as they know what they have done is bad. For their own workers to be disgusted with it is saying something. Oh well, maybe I am not destined to go on holiday this year. Thanks for the advice
Good luck with everything Micky!, and I hope the next holiday you take will be fab!

Regards, belly!
Hi Micky :wave:

I didn't think you came across as aggressive or exagerating either, you are entitled to be upset. There must be a lot of folk about with loads of money, because if this happened to me I would be in a dreadful state. The last thing on my mind would be going on holiday. I wouldn't be able to pay my council tax, gas, lec, water and various other direct debits that routinely come out of my bank account on specific dates. Presumably your holiday spending money was in this account as well, mine would have been.

I hope you get a result as soon as possible, keep us updated.

Doe
I know this doesn't help now but my cheque account only has what I expect to use in a month, with a little extra. When you start up a new account it might be worth doing the same. I probably shouldn't be telling you this but when we fell out with a bank years ago we closed our accounts apart from the cheque one where we kept just over a pound there for years and had the satisfaction of receiving monthly statements from them( petty I know but it made us happy :rofl )
Each month we spend what goes in there, there is never too much in there. We are normal hard working people like most on here that keep on eye on what we spend. I dont want much in life, 1 holiday a year, a few days out with the family and some sunshine :) . Not a lot to ask. Like some have said though, there must be a lot of well off people who £7000 doesnt mean a lot to. Good luck to you for that but Im a person of principle. As a nation, we generaly get ripped off all the time. Bad customer service and tax etc. We shouldnt stand for it. Ill keep you posted on the refund
Thanks
I don't think ANYONE on here has said £7000 doesn't mean much to them - I'd say the majority of us are normal hardworking individuals who save hard to have their annual holiday and losing £7000 would cripple us. I know if £7000 had been taken from my account in error I'd be wanting someone's head on a platter and in your position it would be a toss up between First Choice and the bank as to who's head I'd want first.

Yes First Choice obviously entered the wrong amount but your bank stupidly authorised the payment despite the fact that there was nowhere near that amount in your account. Looking at things as an outsider I'd actually be more angry with the bank than First Choice but of course I'm not in your shoes.

Personally I'd be whacking First Choice for all charges and I'd be speaking to the bank ASAP and telling them to sort something out so that you have access to funds until the mess is sorted seeing as they allowed the mess to develop in the first place by authorising a payment that was well above the funds in your account.

I said I wouldn't have cancelled in your shoes and I still stand by that and I'm not someone who lies back and lets TO's take advantage of me by providing a shoddy service regardless of what you may think. You were and are understandbly angry and I understand that but I think I'd have hung on and used my booking to my advantage - if you've cancelled there's no need for them to speed things up if you know what I mean as they've lost your custom anyway. That's just my view on things.

I think everyone appreciates what a huge amount it is to lose and how sick we'd be if it happened to us and I think everyone has given their own view of things which is sometimes easier to look at logically when you're distant from the situation and not caught up in the angst so all I'd like to ask, is that you accept opinions will differ from your own and respect that rather than having a 'go' at those who have said they wouldn't have cancelled the holiday!

I hope you get it all sorted and soon.
When I decided to pay in full a holiday I was booking my bank actually phoned me for confirmation of the transaction before authorising. (my holiday was costing nearly £4000). I would say Your bank should have picked up this error and would not have authorised such a large amount without checking as obviously it's not a normal transaction.

I hope you do get the money back and yes I would try and claim any charges you incur to your bank for allowing such an excessive amount to be removed without contacting you quicker and first choice for landing you in such a predicament.
Like some have said though, there must be a lot of well off people who £7000 doesnt mean a lot to.

Anybody who has a spare £7000 in their current account and so wouldn't go overdrawn if a company made a mistake like this needs serious financial advice on making their money work better for them!

Of course this is not a trivial amount and nobody has ever said it is.

The OP has been given lots of advice including contacting Ros and also posting on Martin Lewis's website.
This is a financial issue and I'm sure on that website there'll be lots of similar cases of companies taking money without authorisation and causing bank charges to be incurred.
micky, you need to know your legal rights on this and I'd say that website is a good place to find out.

We can all say (and I think we are all saying this), from a moral viewpoint, that you should get all your bank charges and phone call costs refunded - but that is not necesarily the same as your legal rights.
If this had happened to me I would want to know exactly what I can legally demand from First Choice as recompense for this appalling error.

Groovee has made an excellent point about your Bank allowing this transaction.
They certainly have questions to answer, maybe you can find some information on this on the website I mentioned above. Have they acted in accordance with their code of practice etc?

Tisonlymoi, I agree 100% with your post.

Polly
im sorry to hear of your predicament, but im also amazed at the bank allowing such a huge amount to take you over your overdraft, im sure my bank wouldnt allow this to happen. ive even had payments denied when i havent been overdrawn when i tried to use it abroad once and not even for a big amount.

i would contact the bank and ask them why this was allowed to happen leaving you in such a dilema, not knowing all the details, ie whats your overdraft limit, how much it actually sent you over its difficult to compare what my bank would do, im not asking for this information, but if say it had sent me thousands overdrawn i too would be fuming and would be speaking to the bank manager and asking for an explanation as to why this was allowed to happen and i would expect them to help me out either putting on a temporary free overdraft etc. cant you give the bank some proof that Fc have admitted fault or give them a contact name etc, the bank should be looking into this error as i feel its partly their fault too.

i would then be looking at all the charges that have occurred , phone calls etc and expect some sort of compensation from fc, its very worrying that this has happend i cant understand how 7000 could be taken instead of 600, maybe if it was 700 and she had pressed too many 0's i could have understood more but still this situation is disgusting , i hope you get it sorted out quickly

good luck
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.