Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
woodward,

I thought I'd seen Sri Lanka had been dropped (reference your post on the What Aircraft? thread). Your options are twofold; either accept a full refund when they've decided what they are doing, or opt for an equivelent holiday they offer you.

Darren
thanks darren trouble is its a honeymoon and the blessing and associate bun fight have already been organised in sri lanka seems its just another way of treating the british holidaymaker to a take it or leave it option still we shall see what happens thankyou very much darren i will let the thread know of any developements probabley when the balance is due regards woodward
I read in todays newspaper the cruise ship Silver Wind was due to dock in Sri Lanka but didnt because rebels had called an air strike at Colombo.Maybe the UK travel companies are withdrawing because of this trouble.
Jay Trip,

They (First Choice) pulled out a few months ago because they weren't filling flights to this destination and because of the merger with Thomsonfly and a reduction in capacity.

woodward,

I hope you manage to get things re-arranged and have a wonderful wedding. I would push them to make a final decision as the last thing you need is to have to re-arrange things at the last minute. You aren't the only one this has happened to recently; other members on here have reported the same thing. There are other airlines you can travel with from London (Sri Lankan Airlines via Heathrow) that they might be able to sort out for you.

Darren
i was looking at sri lanka too and cant get it on thomsons website but can get it with first choice for march thou would have prefered june. is any other tour operator going in june?
bushbaby,

Try Kuoni or Hayes and Jarvis. They use the main scheduled carries (Sri Lankan from Heathrow), you should find something with them.

Darren
Hi Bushbaby - I've just booked Sri Lanka using Hayes and Jarvis - which are actually part of TUI. They are using Emirates airline and the prices are currently really good due to Emirates heavy discounting - one snag - you will be expected to pay a very large deposit actually covering the whole airfare part of the holiday.
Have a great time in Sri Lanka - it's an amazing destination with lovely people.
Sorry - also forgot to mention - Emirates go to Sri Lanka via Dubai connection - which is a nice stopoff, plus has the big advantage that you can leave the UK from a variety of local airports. I'm going out of Newcastle, but they do lots of others. And the Emirates planes, legroom, IFE, and in-flight meals are great.
I booked last week through Mercury Direct we travel in Mid April flying with Emirates (from my local airport) staying at very good hotel on an A/I basis. Their website is easily found and their prices are absolutely amazing well worth a look. Hope you manage to sort something out.
thankyou all very much for the information spent one hour 15 mins waiting for an answer today from 1 choice or last choice as the case may be stil enough tims and other ways to get there bye bye another english call sign JETSET REGARDS TO ALL WOODWARD
i saw an advert for mercury direct in the sunday paper and their prices did look good,but has anyone used them before? wondering how reliable they are.
hi angie - i have looked at the mercury direct website but when i put in dates to go it goes to the" searching for your holiday " bit and then gets stuck-10 minutes later its still searching! have tried a few times and still get the same results. i still would like to see if anyone has travelled with them and what their service is like. we got burnt with travel republic in october and i'm a bit wary of using a tour operator that i haven't experience of now. usually use the big ones,thompson.cosmos and first choice with no problems so far,although i know there's always a first time!
sue
bushbaby,
I have just done a dummy search and the site worked ok for me. Might have been alot of traffic on the site when you tried.

Angie.
just back from gambia to find that first choice have put us onto sri lankan airways flight from heathrow same day as we booked hopefully should be good as they seem a good airline and fly direct to sri lanka no stops so this is what they are using through the summer period and maybe winter thanks for all your help
woodward
For some reason Mercury Directs website seems to be terribly slow every time I have used it.However after doing extensive research on them they appear to be the real deal and we are looking to book Sri Lanka in September using them.

Will let you know how it goes.

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.