Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Without a doubt, go to Mexico. We went Easter 2006, when our girls were 7 and 9 and 18months on they are still talking about it. Infact the eldest took photos into school today of the Mayan Pyramids for her History class. There is so much to see and do you needn't be confined to the hotel, infact to not venture out would be criminal.

There are some great hotels in mexico, but we stayed at the Iberostar Tucan in Playacar- they have a kids club that runs all day, infact they don't even need to return to you to go and eat unless they want to. In the fortnight we were there the girls were in productions of both Grease and Cats- with full costume and make up. Not once though did we feel overun by children and it was the Easter holidays- lots of American children for them to make friends with though.

Great for adults too- couldn't fault the service and food. The A La Cartes dealt with the monotony that some people don't like with AI and cocktails were on tap all day. We even managed a sit in the adults only swim up bar with a Mojito- bliss!!

It is our best ever holiday to date, so one well worth considering.

Pam :D
You'll find hotel reviews HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Be careful of looking at Cancun hotels - Cancun is brilliant but very Playa de Las Americas in the Caribbean. It has regular pilgrimages of American students especially on Spring break which I think you will miss in Feb but it is a haven for the 17-25 age group and blieve me these guys can party. We stayed at the Oasis Playa last year and our week was totally ruined by the likes. Cans of empty lager, fag butts floating in the pool, overt sexual activity need I say any more. It is not an ideal family resort. Puerto Vallarta is the total opposite,quite beautiful.
Have you thought of Cuba? Not a great deal to do on an evening but beaches are divine. Good luck with your choice
I will second the vote to stay away from Cancun during US college spring break dates, from mid March to mid April- the resorts are taken over by partying 18-25yr olds. Outisde of those dates you should be fine
Mexico is not a total no go, you just have to pick carefully. The Iberostar chain have a strict policy on spring breakers- teenagers are only allowed with adults and only two over 12's ( I think, may be 14) per room, so it deters the majority of the party animals. We were there at the height of spring break and did not have any problems- we heard rumours of one incident but with typical Iberostar efficiancy there was no evidence of it by morning. Also Playacar is not the main party destination and is a good hours drive from Cancun so there is no overspill.

As others have said Feb should be Ok anyway

Pam :D
I would agree with Keepupwith, we have been to both Cancun and Playacar. When we stayed at Playacar we stayed at one of the Riu chains (Playacar). But Playacar area is extremely safe. A little walk/taxi you come to a great shopping area (think its called 5th Avenue), lots of old and new, plenty of shops, restaurants, wine bars, pubs, beach bars. Very safe and plenty to do.
Thanks everyone, very helpful replies. Playcar or Puerto Vallarta both sound great so I'll start looking there.

Thanks again :D
Hi Frenchie,
I'll second Playa del Carmen and the Riu chain. Take a look at the reviews for the Clubhotel Riu Tequila (mine's there). You'll have the use of all the facilities of the other 2 neighbouring hotels which lessens the boredom of an all Inclusive resort.
Have a great hol whatever you decide.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.