Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
The experiences I've come across is that its more expensive to just turn up. A hotel we had booked in Lanta by asking for a price by e-mail was charging 5000 baht a night to people who just turned up (we over heard them negotiating) and the hotel would not budge from that amount. We had got it for 3500 a night, and with no money or credit card details required up front.

Our attitude is to prebook rather than just turn up as we'ed probably waste time looking for a hotel while on holiday - got better things to do.
aussie smithy wrote:
..We are both( wife and I ) confident with getting ourselves around and also have learnt a little Thai over our last two visits ( and a bit of study before hand )

Then I would!

There is a post that covered the same sort of topic earlier this year. It was the member's first time in KS and they did the turn-up-and-haggle thing. I can't vouch for the truth of the post, but apparently they got a discount, after been told by a travel, er, "expert" that it wasn't on.

So, if I were you, I'd go for it. ;)
yes we are going for it. we have kind of met our instincts half way. We have booked a Pool Cottage at Rabbit Resort Pataya for three nights as Pataya is new to us so we are playing it safe. As we are not new to KS we have decided to risk it and just turn up knowing we have enough cash to keep us out of trouble if we get stuck and have to spend big for accom (hopefully not).

Thanks for the feedback, we will not be going until June so any other tips people have would be great. I will try to find the older thread to have a look. :cheers
There is a post that covered the same sort of topic earlier this year. It was the member's first time in KS and they did the turn-up-and-haggle thing. I can't vouch for the truth of the post, but apparently they got a discount, after been told by a travel, er, "expert" that it wasn't on.

Erm, that was me. Did you read the thread? The advice was that 'some' hotels could be cheaper, 'some' will not. And that automatically discounting one option is pointless. Compare compare compare....

Anyway, this 'travel, er, "expert"' is busy ensuring that 10 of his companies clients currently stuck in Bangkok are being ably assisted, re-accommodated where need, visited on a daily basis, and prioritised for re-booking so they don't have the stress of having to do it themselves. Do excuse me. :roll:
Aussie Aussie Aussie :cheers

You will love the Rabbit Resort. The owner Mrs Rabbit (Deb) is a lovely lady and very customer focused. The beds are very hard but you only have to ask and they will place a sponge overlay on the bed (there is a sign on reception saying this)

We had a pool cottage and they are very lovely... you will enjoy it. Their house cat is very friendly and it's snuggles with guests on the sun lounges. He is called something in Thai which means moustache as his markings above his mouth and looks like a tash.

Try and have dinner at Cabbages and Condoms it's near the Asia Hotel.

Also, if your just rocking up and you get a silly walk in price, just go to a hotel website and book from there.

Cheers Geri
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.