Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi thepoolesblue,
I reckon Koh Samui might be your best bet but it will involve an internal flight - which are not too much of a hassle and Koh Samui airport is fun - plus an internal flight back can be less irksome than a long land transfer from the likes of somewhere such as Hua Hin. There are trips available to outlying islands like Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan for diving and snorkelling. I think on Samui your teenagers are likely to meet others within their age group with lively resorts like Chaweng. Its possible to stay in quieter resorts and hit Chaweng for some life in the evening.

Hua Hin is fine with plenty to do in terms of sightseeing and good hotels, buts its not the first destination in Thailand that comes to mind with regard to diving. Phuket, Khao Lak and Krabi have good diving but the weather is likely to be against you at the end of June.
thanks for that, i think koh samui is sounding very positive. Would like to stay prob just on the edge of lively resort - within walking distance so can take it or leave it - the kids will then be happy - any hotel suggestions? budget will be about £60-80 per room per night, B&B required. I understand internal flights are easy to organise and we dont need to sort out airport transfers before we go as these wont be a problem. any other tips for a fab holiday?
ta
Internal flights are easy. Check Bangkok Airways. They are pretty flexible- there are a lot of flights each day to KS. If you arrive in time for an earlier flight they will fit you in if there's space of course.
If you want busy, then it has to be Chaweng. The boys will probably prefer that. If it gets too busy for you, you can always leave the boys to it one night and head off to Fishermans Village- 10 mins away in a taxi. Fishermans Village is where you will end up when you go snorkelling as the pier is there.I have only stayed in Chaweng once and that was at the Chaweng Regent- which is quite central but the beach was quiet and it has two pools and beautiful grounds. We found it an oasis to escape to. Others will have their own recommendations. Be aware that Chaweng has its share of girlie bars but most are along one street and your boys are probably old enough not to be shocked :lol:
I have photos - they are of Bophut where Fishermans Village is and the second page is the airport. Yes- it really is the airport!! Must be one of the worlds prettiest :lol:
Koh Samui
thanks for that. am looking at internal flights bangkok-samui - bangkok airways coming up at about £500 for the 4 of us - is this right? can we get cheaper elsewhere?
no- they have the monoply ( and they also own the airport- you will have to pay an additional tax on departure, but I can't remember how much)
very helpful, saves many more hours surfing to find out the facts! I think we've settled in the waterfront bophut for our stay, much cheaper than we were anticipating we'd have to pay but sounds a lovely welcoming atmosphere and great reports from guests - fingers crossed our first thai holiday will be one to remember!
international flights and hotel now booked - could you help me a teeny bit more - if i'm flying home from bangkok at 810pm, what time flight would you get from Koh Samui? I'm thinking the 330pm which arrives at 5pm should be plenty, would you agree?
Hmmm.... Not sure after all the carry on re the new airport. If you don't have to change airports then that would be ok. I think if it were me I would probably go for an earlier to be on the safe side.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.