Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello Baggo, can only comment on the trips as I don't know these apartments. If you are getting a car then you could go to most places along the Algarve, east or west. You could also go to Lisbon but it is a good 4 hour trip just to get there, so you may want to stay the night to see a small bit of it.
You can get to these places on the bus or car and even the train, Faro is a good day out lots of history and good shops/cafes and bars. Lagos nice town with old walls around the town, great beachs great restaurants an old'e world resort well worth a visit.
Silves an in land town with a big Castle on a hill and a Cathedral next to the Castle and great chicken piri piri by the river.
By car you could go to Cape St Vincent right on the end of the Algarve that used to known as the end of the world and then on to Aljezur and see the west coast of Portugal, or go east to Tavira another town with a Castle or miss this out and go to Vila Real de St Antonio and get the ferry to Spain and see the town of Ayamonte, or from V R d S A you could drive up by the river Guadiana to Alcountim another nice town with a Castle and you can also get a boat over to Spain from here to a village called Sanlucar de Guadiana with its Castle on a hill.
These are just a few places I have been and think are worth a look if you like things like this you can check them out on the site below and lots of other places.

http://www.portugalvirtual.pt

Dave
If I remember rightly, the Almar apartments are in the Old Town, or close by.

If you want to go to the Strip, it's about 20 mins walk or approx €4 in a cab.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday! :cheers
Almar is just behind the town hall (Camera), less than 10 minutes from the Old Town. More importantly five minutes from Floyd's Bar (gratuitious plug), where if you wish to pop in and purchase a pint, the smiling idiot behind the bar will be more than happy to point out all the very good local restaurants. You will already be in the best bar... :really
We are going to Portugal at the end of November. We were looking to go to Albufeira. Am i better off staying near 'The Strip' or the Old Town ? Or can anyone suggest any other resort else to go?
Bobbiesgirl, lots of restaurants/bars close down at the end of October beginning of November and dont open up again until Christmas period, but you should still find plenty open to entertain you in either the old town/the strip area/ St Eulalia area. I would suggest you stay midway between the two so youve got the best of both worlds. Maybe algarveaddick forum member could give you some suggestions as his bar is situated midway between were I am talking about and he could fill you in on places to stay.Otherwise the St Eulalia area would be a good place to stay Clube Praia da Oura, Oura Praia hotel, Forte da Oura apartments, Pedros Dos Bicos Apartments, St Eulalia beach club, as there are quite a few good restaurants & bars within a short distance that stay open over the winter, and its only a cock stride from the strip area. Hopefully another member will come along with more suggestions for your stay.
I agree with Clube Praia da Oura, right on the beach. Walkable to the old town, on the Strips doorstep and enough open. I liked the sauna in the garden, a great place to wind down/socilaise early evening before hitting the town.

Robby :wink:
I can only echo / second Jayjan's comments - we love that area! :tup (We stay in a apartment in Quinta Petra Dos Bicos that we rent from a lovely Irish couple.
If you want their details just let me know.)
Thanks for the suggestions. :cheers I have been to Albufeira in November the last 2 years but i was just wondering if i would be better off going anywhere else. When i have been before i was with 'the girls'. ;) And we stayed at Clube do Oura.This time i have got hubby with me , and he cant really walk very far. I was thinking about the Aldeia Hotel that is on the strip.
Hi Bobbies, Yes the Hotel Aldeia is on the strip at the bottom end near the post office & Libertos, so not far to walk.
A big THANK YOU to all the members who replied to my post, im on my way next sunday, and cant wait! :tup
Oooh you lucky thing Baggo! :)
Have a great time! :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.