Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Wee Puddock wrote:
1. Is it hilly - I don't do hills so is there an area that would suit.
2. Like to be close to sea with seaviews - any recommendations 4* SC
3. What is the airport transfer time.
4. Don't like noisey, if you know Tenerife I like Torviscos/Fanabe - will I find similar in Benidorm.
Thanks for any help you can give

Ok,

(1) Not "hilly" exactley, but depending on where you are staying in the Resort, there are 'inclines', some hardly noticable, and some quite steep.

(2) Sorry, Can't answer this one.

(3) Depends on what method you choose to use for transfers. I have only ever done this on a Package Tour, and it can take about 45 minutes to an hour on a Tour Operator's transfer coach. With further time added on for Hotel Drop Off's.

(4) Interesting one......We are talking about Benidorm here, and once again depending on where you are staying, it can be noisy. The area around 'The Square' for example can be noisy at night. The main road, the Avienda De Mediteranoe (?spelling sorry), well that can be very noisy with the traiffic. And the Bin Men in the mornings......now they ARE noisy!!! But you should not let any of this put you off. Benidorm is not only a Spanish Seaside Resort, it is a large Cosmopolitan City.

Hope that helps, but I am sure other members will offer some more advise for you.

BHIC
Thinking of going to Benidorm in April for the first time and need help.
1. Is it hilly - I don't do hills so is there an area that would suit.
2. Like to be close to sea with seaviews - any recommendations 4* SC
3. What is the airport transfer time.
4. Don't like noisey, if you know Tenerife I like Torviscos/Fanabe - will I find similar in Benidorm.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Hiya Wee puddock
You've left me rather confused with your questions...sorry. :hmmm

You say you don't "do" hills, but say you like the Torviscos area of Tenerife.?
The Torviscos area is far hillier than Benidorm, (with the exception of the hill up to the Magic Rock Hotel.) and all the amenities are there on relatively flat ground, you can get around Benidorm and avoid hills, but should you wish to explore Benidorm EG: up into the old town, then you will encounter "hills", but IMO: they are not of the same steep gradient as some in Tenerife.

Benidorm is nothing like Tenerife, so there is no way that you can even try and compare one against the other, IMO.... having been to both....and especially before the Island of Tenerife, is what it is today.

Benidorm is no noisier than Tenerife, hotels do have double-glazing these days. :wink: If you had an apartment overlooking Veronicas, then you would expect some noise, the same applies to Benidorm if you have an apartment bang in the middle of the night life.

The good side is...that you'll not have to run the gauntlet of time-share touts on every corner that you turn.
There are time-share touts, but in comparison to Tenerife, they are insignificant and accept a polite "no thanks" the first time .they must be a different breed to the ones in Tenerife You could stay in Benidorm and never encounter one the whole time.

Benidorm puts Tenerife in the shadows as far as the beach(s) are concerned and instead of black volcanic, you will have yellow, clean, fine sand"¦6km's of beach and promenade that are flat.
Benidorm is a Spanish working town situated by the sea, Tenerife is an Island situated off the African coast, one has the Mediterranean Sea and the other has the Atlantic Ocean.
I said "don't try and compare" but I have mentioned a few points that separates the two resorts. :oops:

Think of Benidorm as a tatty concrete jungle full of Brits and you'll have made your mind up before you go .think of Benidorm as a cosmopolitan resort with a resemblance to New York, then Benidorm becomes what you make it....and because the buildings are high rise, then to guarantee a sea view, the only place to stay is on the promenade in apartments like the Los Dunes, Los Ranchos and others.

HTH's
Sanji x
I would never be silly enough to try and compare Tenerife & Benidorm, I was simply trying to give an insight to the area of Tenerife I like to allow people to maybe recomend somewhere they thought to be similar if they had been to both.

I would never in the month of Mary Ellen book an apartment overlooking Veronicas and would hope to avoid staying in the same in Benidorm - double glazing or not :lol:

Benidorm is a Spanish working town situated by the sea, Tenerife is an Island situated off the African coast, one has the Mediterranean Sea and the other has the Atlantic Ocean.
I said "don't try and compare" but I have mentioned a few points that separates the two resorts.

Yip I know.

Think of Benidorm as a tatty concrete jungle full of Brits and you'll have made your mind up before you go .think of Benidorm as a cosmopolitan resort with a resemblance to New York, then Benidorm becomes what you make it

I also hate people who make up there minds about places (specially if it is a fav of mine) before giving them a chance, so I will definately be keeping an open mind.

Thanks for your help, off to have a look at some accomodation.
i think benidorm has something for everybody,and it is flat enough for those that dont do hills,a nice self catering spot is right on the front called the los dunes and has cracking sea views,and it must be fairly quite as the people i know that have stayed here are 50 to 60 year old.Personally i love benidorm and am going back again in april ....cant wait oh forgot transfer is about an hour but if you dont do coach transfers there are loads of taxis outside give it a go and enjoy
I would never be silly enough to try and compare Tenerife & Benidorm, I was simply trying to give an insight to the area of Tenerife I like to allow people to maybe recomend somewhere they thought to be similar if they had been to both.

Ok, having been to both...
There is no where even remotely similar.

Sanji
Hi Wee Puddock, I think that Sanji was only trying to help.

Sue :)
:D I'll second that!

Went to Tenerife last August, spent the two weeks wishing I was in Benidorm!

Regards, BBB
Is Benidorm hilly? Well it's probably the favourite resort around the Med for elderly and/or disabled holidaymakers, especially in the winter months, and such people don't like hills, so that should answer your question. Main thing to beware of is getting run over by a mobility scooter.
Is Benidorm hilly?

Hi Sungazer.
I'm presuming that you are being serious here.?
Yes, in places it is, especially in the old town, but most mobility scooter users who stay on the Levante side of town never make it up into the old town, for the simple reason.... the battery would be flat before they got back.
HERE

Sanji x
Is Benidorm hilly? Well it's probably the favourite resort around the Med for elderly and/or disabled holidaymakers, especially in the winter months, and such people don't like hills, so that should answer your question.

That statement could be quite misleading to anyone who has never been to Benidorm before and so to be fair, we should point out that yes, there are hills in Benidorm and some hotels and apartments are located on streets which in fact have very steep inclines. If you want to avoid those areas due to age, mobility problems, pram pushing, etc it is easy to find accommodation on level ground. But please don't book accommodation on the assumption that there are no hills in Benidorm. When considering the suitability of any holiday accommodation, it is just as important to check out pedestrian and vehicle access in the immediate vicinity.

David :wave
Yes, in places it is, especially in the old town, but most mobility scooter users who stay on the Levante side of town never make it up into the old town, for the simple reason.... the battery would be flat before they got back.

Hi. For any one who hasn't ever hired a mobility scooter before, and thinks they can't go very far on a scooter, they can go for approximately 8 miles before they need to be charged. My relative just charges hers every evening to make sure its fully charged for the next day.

Lizzie.
Well, I never claimed that there were no hills in Benidorm. I merely pointed out that this is a favourite resort for people with imfirmities, so obviously what hills there are can easily be avoided. Any decent travel company should be able to advise people that the Levante side is best if they have mobility problems. I recently pushed someone in a wheelchair from the beach up to the Sunday market near the Barcelo Pueblo, and I wasn't out of breath even though I am no spring chicken, so yes I was serious. Benidorm is largely fine for people who don't cope well with inclines.
they can go for approximately 8 miles before they need to be charged. My relative just charges hers every evening to make sure its fully charged for the next day.

WoW Lizzie, :shock: I never realised they could go for 8 miles, does tackling hills take the juice out of the battery quicker.?...I've never seen many on the Poniente side of town or up in the old town.
Mind you, thinking about it, I suppose it depends where exactly on the levante side you are starting off from...regarding distance.

Sungazer
Well, I never claimed that there were no hills in Benidorm. I merely pointed out that this is a favourite resort for people with imfirmities, so obviously what hills there are can easily be avoided.

Sorry, but your post suggested that you were asking a question if Benidorm was hilly.? then you replied to suggest that by being a popular resort with the eldery/disabled, that there are no hills and this answers the original posters question.
Is Benidorm hilly? Well it's probably the favourite resort around the Med for elderly and/or disabled holidaymakers, especially in the winter months, and such people don't like hills, so that should answer your question.

Sanji x
WoW Lizzie, I never realised they could go for 8 miles, does tackling hills take the juice out of the battery quicker.?...I've never seen many on the Poniente side of town or up in the old town.
Mind you, thinking about it, I suppose it depends where exactly on the levante side you are starting off from...regarding distance.

Yes Sanji, tackling hills does use more juice, but my relative has been up to the point from the far end of Levante by Mcdonalds without any probs, and I have pushed my Mom in her battery operated wheelchair up to the Bali and back, so they do go for quite a long way.

As for Beni being hilly, I suggest any one who wants to go up to the point to use the street that Ray's fish and chip shop is in, as this one doesn't seem quite so steep as some of the other ways up there. And anyone with mobilty problems not to book any apts or hotels in the Rincon area that are not on the main road, on the Hotel Regente side, such as Calla Londres, (spl) thats the only street name I can remember.

Lizzie.
There are certainly some 'hilly' areas in Benidorm.

For those that elect to walk to Mundomar and Aqualandia, as soon as you turn off the main road (sorry don't know what it is called), and you start to walk through the residential area, it is all up hill until you reach those attractions at the top.

Also 'Cardiac Hill' springs to mind :hmmm
Also 'Cardiac Hill' springs to mind

Is Cardiac Hill not in Benalmadena?

I remember that hill well when we stayed at the Bali

Sue :)
The one in Benalmadena is just a cheap imitation of the one in Benidorm :wink
Is cardiac hill in Benidorm also known as the ski slope leading to the Tropicana Gardens?
I haven't heard it nicknamed the 'ski slope' before but yes, it is along at that end. Calle Bonn is more commonly known as 'Cardiac Hill', but the Brits seem to christen any Benidorm street with a steep incline as 'Cardiac Hill'.

There are several other streets in that vicinity nicknamed Cardiac Hill, as is Calle Verano which leads to La Era Park Apts along at Parque De L'Aiguera. Calle Mayor leading to the chapel in the Old Town also shares the nickname, as do several of the streets in the vicinity of the Beni Beach Apts on the Poniente side of town.

So never ask a Brit for directions to Cardiac Hill, as they could send you in almost any direction within Benidorm. :lol:

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.