Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I don't know but I'd err on the side of caution and be prepared. The best thing you can get to prevent them biting is Avon - Skin so soft. It's a skin moisturiser, hence the name but is better than any of the marketed mozzie/insect repellents. I've used it myself, (I'm very prone to getting bitten) and I know plenty of people who swear by it.
Talking to some people at the weekend who told me to get the same stuff, normally fortunate enough that they leave me alone anyway, but rather be prepared.
Yes there are mozzies about in Gumbet in September. The first year there, I got bitten so badly. Now we have found the cure (works for us anyway - and for many other people). Two weeks before you go, take one vitamin B1 tablet and one garlic capsule every evening. Contine this while you are there - apparently mozzies don't like the smell of yeast or garlic. As an added precaution, spray areas such as legs and arms with Avon Skin so Soft Woodland Fresh dry oil spray (apparently they don't like the smell of that either - fussy little sods aren't they!).

Also in Gumbet, they sell bottles of lemon cologne all over the place and our Turkish friends always swear by this.

We're back off to Gumbet in September and will be doing the B1/garlic thing again. We were there for a week in June, took the vitamins and garlic and sprayed with the Avon SSS - and not one of got bitten. Brill!!
That's true; garlic really seems to keep the mosquitos' away. I seldom get bitten - and I swear it's that I eat a lot of garlic - oh, and lemon too. I squeeze lemon over almost everything: salad, fish, shish, mayo............and the mozzies seem to hate that too!

Another upside to the garlic trick is you'll always be guaranteed a seat to yourself on a dolmus. :lol:

Strawberry
Avon skin so soft did not work for me this year, I had to hotfoot it to the shop and get some local stuff. Which worked a treat. It was called 'Off'. Another one is called 'Sinkov'.

Some people I was with who didn't get bitten were using some extra strength stuff from Boots.

I don't know about Gumbet because I've never been but I would always recommend the local stuff and it's far cheaper than anything you can buy here.

It seems there is no rhyme or reason to why in some resorts you get bitten and others don't, or vice versa. Best to stock up anyway, I regretted my decision to rely on the recommended Skin so soft but as has been said above, it works for many.
Sounds daft - but keep your feet smelling sweet. Apparently, mozzies are attracted to 'cheesy' feet! If your trainers are a bit whiffy then leave them outside your room at night.
Hi there charlie. It was my first time in Turkey last year,and we went to Gumbet. Fantastic holiday and hotel. I get bitten by everything you can think of,,they make a bee line for me ! So i went armed with i dont know how many sprays of insect repellant,and to be honest after the first night,,we both completely forgot to spray and never got one bite! we went for 2 weeks about 27th August. When i got home,,the following day putting washing on the line,,i was bitten 3 times by gnats over here.
:lol:
You wouldn't believe it would you.
I was watching a program on T.V the other night about Mozzis and why they bite some people and not others.
It's all to do with the scent we give off.
They said the best thing to use after there tests was Deet.
The Americans developed it for the troops serving in the jungle.
It lasts longer than anything else.
They tried
Eating Garlic that never worked. They bit him about 50 times.
Citranelle ?sp that worked for an hour or so.
But when they used the Deet he put his arm into a container with loads of them in and never had one bite.
I have used the Avon ss woodland in Spain and that seems to work for me.
I was just wondering how many mozzis there were if any .
As we have never been before and some people where telling me there were thousands of them. :roll:
Sorry, Prawn, please be very careful about leaving your trainers out at night. The cat might get at them:

http://www.firestation.org.uk/stinkyfeet.jpg
Think I would rather have the mossies than the cat - can't stand the things! :roll:
It's interesting what Gumber Jakki said about vitamin B1 and yeast. I've just posted on another thread that I'd heard that eating marmite is a good mozzie deterent. I like marmite so it's not a problem to take some and scoff it even though I not usually bitten by them anyway. When we go on a gulet there is always one person, always female, who the mozzies zoom in on. I've suggested that when we know who it is we tie her to the mast up front as bait so they leave the rest of us alone but I've always been outvoted on that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.