Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi Chix1,

When you say "reasonably quiet resort" does this mean you have excluded Albufeira from your search? The Old Town will be full of life in September, with plenty of bars and restaurants in a lovely setting, but not too crowded. It is quite different from the new town with its infamous Strip. Albufeira is about 35 minutes' drive from Faro Airport but there are lots of hotels and apartments all along the coast in both directions.

Are you hiring a car? In that case your choice is very wide. In order for people to suggest particular self catering accommodation, it would be good if you could describe what you are looking for in a little more detail, i.e. facilities on the complex and nearby, proximity to beach (and whether you prefer long sandy beaches to typical Algarvian coves), bars and restaurants, and just generally describe your ideal scenario. Also, how far away from the airport are you prepared to stay? :wave
Hi Roseweb, many thanks you for your reply. Ideally I would like to be no more than 1 hr from the airport. I like the sound of the Old Town Albufeira but would like to be a wee bit away from it at night. The beaches and nightlife don't matter to me much, I am more of a culture vulture and people watcher. I have M.E. so I am limited in what I do. So basically just nice restaurants and places to watch the world go by and a good quality apartment.

Julie
Hi Julie,

Albufeira is very hilly and might not be ideal for you then. What about Tavira, which is about the same distance east of Faro as Albufeira is to the west? It's a beautiful old town with plenty of cultural interest. There are probably self catering apartments in the town, I'm not sure, but there are some at Cabanas which is not far away. Pat42 is the forum expert on Cabanas and she would be able to advise you better. The land is more level over in that direction.

You might also like to visit Vila Real de Santo Antonio near the Spanish border or take a coach trip to Seville. It's a long day but I think you would find it very interesting.
Hi Julie,
Cabanas is a lovely little village 10 minutes by bus from Tavira which has lots of churches, Roman bridges, a castle and many other lovely things to see.
Staying in Cabanas is usually on complexes like Pedras da Rainha, Golden Club or Cabanas Park ( this one is a little further out but still only 10 mins walk). It is very small but with plenty of places to eat and drink....no discos or loud music!!!!
It has a beautiful beach which you access by a little boat across the river ( 1 euro return) and is totally laid back and chill out.
You can also get a bus or train to Monte Gordo, Vila Real do Santo Antonio ( last place before the Spanish border), or cross to Ayamonte (Spain).
If you need any more info, just ask or pm me.
Pat
:glynis
Thanks Roseweb and Pat, that has given me something to look into for now. I don't know of these areas so i will have to look them up :)

Julie
For good quality self catering accomadation, reasonably quiet in September and just over the hour from the airport with lots of people watching (we do it all the time) I suggest Lagos ant these apartments to go with it http://www.beachcombers.org.uk
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.