Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi
Most travellers prefer a Nationwide Flex account for their money needs as they do not charge any fees but there may not be enough time for that. Cash and travellers checks are fine although I would avoid carrying too much cash. There are plenty of places to change money but avoid hotels as their rates are low.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Goa.
Thanks for the info, i do have a Nationwide account so this could be useful.

Im sure I will enjoy it - as long as some places are still open by the time I go !
Hi Jen I went last year on 16 april for 2 weeks and there were still tons of places open. A Nationwide card is probably a good idea. We also keep cash in the hotel safe and change it into rupees when we need it.
Have a great time.
I always do cash - so long you know there's some place safe to store it. The rate for traveller's cheques is usually slightly worse than cash.

Although I don't have one, the Nationwide card sounds a good plan, too.

Have a great time! :fly
If you are using travellers cheques you will need to take your passport each time you cash one. The money changer has to keep a record of each transaction and gets you to sign an Exchangement Certificate. If you use one money changer on a regular basis then your passport details are already recorded and he may say not to bother next time. Keep a copy to hand it could be useful. The rate will be less than sterling by about 20/30 paise ( there is a 100 paise to the rupee)
I have leftover Dollars from last year, would you advise me to exchange my Sterling or Dollars into rupees?

Also, how much money would you exchange in the airport?

I guess I only need a small amount for the taxi and get a proper amount of rupees in a Great Western which I have been told gives you a good exchange rate.
You can change dollars in Goa so I'd hang on to them - you're likely to lose out exchanging them into sterling, then rupees.

Be very careful with the cash exchangers at the airport - they rip you off. The advertised rate is only for larger amounts (in very small print) and the rate for a few pounds is a joke. Not only that, I've been shortchanged there,too. I don't use them at all any more.

If you get a taxi from the stand opposite the airport exit, you can pay in sterling. I give them £10 for a trip to Candolim. You can then change money in the resort at better rates.
We only ever change a max of £20 at the airport , we also take cash with us as the place we stay at has safe boxes,. As for changing money we never use the Hotel or Banks -- the exchange rtate is always lower there. We find the best place for us in Sth Goa is the local chemist / pharmacy. I cannot speak for the Nth as we#ve never changed money there. The taxi we usually get from the airport to our hotel -- we give the driver £12 -- he's more than happy with that -- always ask / barter for a price , then if they try to charge more ( some do after agreeing a price ) just give them £10. Another tip is DON'T tell them this is your 1st trip to Goa. Apart from that have a great time --- I think you will fall in LOVE with Goa just as we have and many others also. :) ;) :tup
Cheers for the advice, but sadly, I won't be in GOA for long, maximum stay 3 or 4 nights :) I'm going to visit the whole of India!
That should take a good while :yikes make sure you do the rest of India first otherwise you will find it very difficult to leave Goa, I know many people myself included who stayed longer than we should have and missed out on so much :duh
one word of caution using nationwide flex in goa.
My statement showed an exchange rate of 80.432 rps to the pound. On the day I used it the rate in the Elephant shop was 84.
Equal to a charge of around £3.50 per hundred pounds.
But definately a good back up, or even as a first choice if you cannot get commision free sterling travellers cheques.
My statement showed an exchange rate of 80.432 rps to the pound. On the day I used it the rate in the Elephant shop was 84.

I've always found the rate on my cards "Flex Account" or "Master Card" to be higher than anything the locals are offering. :think
Remember the banks are changing £millions every day and are bound to get the best rates. :tup
but they don't have to pass the savings on to you!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.