Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Congratulations on the secret wedding!

Unfortunately I don't think you will however get anywhere with the upgrade request. Imagine how many times each day the check-in staff get given that story.

Unless the flight is over sold in Economy, no airline these days is likely to just offer an upgrade because of a special occasion. Even if overbooked in Economy and upgrades are sort, the airline is more likely to move members of their frequent flyer programme, or people flying on full Y fare tickets.

Why not enquire now how much an upgrade will cost on the inbound flight and treat yourselves.
I often ask for an upgrade on long haul flights and have only been lucky once in the past 20 years, but as Traveller points out I was a member of the airlines frequent flyer programme. I was lucky a few years ago with BA when their flight was overbooked, I hadn't even asked, it was just after they had introduced flat beds in business and I slept for five hours. The service was great and I became an instant fan of business class. I have since flown in business with Lufthansa, Singapore, Air New Zealand and United but the cost is normally ridiculous so it only happens on rare occasions.
As Traveller says why don't you look in to paying for an upgrade for the return journey, you may get a bargain as BA have some very interesting offers at the moment for business/club class flights.
elvis wrote:
with the hope of getting upgraded to the premium section

Not a chance I'm afraid unless you a member of BA's frequent flier programme and have lots of miles. As with Judith, I've only been upgraded once and that is with a fair few miles as a frequent flier with that particular airline. Good luck with the wedding, hope it all goes to plan and you have a fab time :tup

Darren
Thanks for your replies.
I am a member of frquent flier programme, but dont have many miles yet. I just thought I would ask. We will probably upgrade ourselves one way. Coming home its only about £200 extra to get into premium economy.

Em x
I''m up to the silver level with Emirates frequent flier club, skywards, and got 105,000 miles so far and like most people, never a sniff of an upgrade. Because we stay a fair bit from our local Emirates base, Glasgow, even when booked in on line, we always arrive for check in at least two hours before flight time because of road conditions. Am I right in thinking that to stand any chance of an upgrade, it's pointless hoping for one, unless you check in much later, when they can see at check in that things are going to be tight seatwise, with few no shows? Alan
Has anyone ever booked economy seats and asked for (and got) an upgrade when checking in?? Is it worth asking??

Many thanks
It rarely happens and then usually only if you have frequent flyer status with the airline. I often ask on long haul flights and in over 40yrs of flying it's only happened to me once. I did get an upgrade once with BA that I hadn't asked for, due to the flight being overbooked I was given a seat in Club Class but I was a member of their Executive Club.
No harm in asking but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Thanks Judith, that's what I thought to be honest. It's £200 extra to be upgraded in advance, so just wondered what the chances were!

Thanks again
A couple of young guys who work for me have just returned from New York using BA , there were 6 of them in total and they are 20 and 21 y/o , they had booked a weeks holiday with Thomas Cook who had arranged flights,hotel,transfers and 2 excursions. When they went to do their online checkin 24 hrs before they couldn't log in , they went into TC and they couldn't log in either , they then said they would upgrade them to world trav.plus because of the hassle. The next morning at 6.30am one of them text me and i phned him back , and they had all been upgraded again to Club Class !!!!
Now i don't think any of their parents stumped up a lot of cash to pay for that as a surprise, and i suspect that the TA has put in a good word?? because this holiday has been booked for a long time and they've spent a lot of money, (but then again so do many other people) or perhaps because they are all polite and well behaved someone,somewhere has decided to "make their day"
So , it goes to show it can happen , but how i don't know!
Andy, that's really lovely to hear, hope they all had a fab time. I love NY! :)

I shall ask on the day of check in, they can only yes or no! :que
I have been upgraded BA flying to NY. Checked in and just asked if there was anything with leg room really thinking of a bulkhead seat. The girl went off and came back and said I have upgraded you. Return journey same thing happened

About 15 years ago travelling with Qantas. The made a mess of my booking I had a telephone call a few days prior to leaving from an Executive (that is what he said he was)
He told me that where possible my flight would be upgraded > London - Singapore - Perth - (Not on Sydney to ) And again on the return journey Brisbane to Singapore - Heathrow.

I think this was exceptional and certain not usual. I really enjoyed it but it was the days before flat beds

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.