America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Travel City Direct are the cheapest. First Choice and Thomson planes have more legroom than Virgin and BA.
Hi everyone, the family are going florida last week of august and first week of september 2008.

Being first timers to the magic i would like to ask some questions.
1, What will the weather be like there around this time?
2, Flying from Bristol-Sanford / is Sanford huge will we get lost?
3, Are the shopping malls near to disney ( staying at Disney pop century)?
4, How far is universal/seaworld from disney world?
5, Cheap disney tickets any ideas?
6, At the water parks are there life jackets available for children?
7, We are flying star class could you justify spending another £400.00 to up-grade to star class premier?

Thank you everyone in advance any other usefull information that may help us would be greatly recieved (can be a bit daunting going somewhere new :D )
Try search to help you along the way :wink:

Pippy :D
1. Weather will be very hot and humid with afternoon thunderstorms
2. Sanford is not large and you couldn't get lost.
3. Shopping malls not particularly near. Florida Mall maybe a half-hour drive but there are outlet malls nearer and shops at Downtown Disney
4. Universal at least 20 minutes drive Seaworld maybe 15.
5. Disney tickets - buy the 14 day one before you go. Only available in the UK.
6.Believe they have jackets for the children at the waterparks, but mine too old. They have slides for the under 48inches high ones and plenty of lifeguards
7. Never flown star class so can't help. Is that Thomson or First Choice? Believe their ordinary seats have more legroom than the scheduled and have seatback TVs, so may be fine without the upgrade.

Strongly recommend you buy the 'Unofficial Guide' and study it before you go and take it for reference.

What age are the children as this will affect people's advice?

Definitely do character meals and book your tables 180 days in advance. You are going during 'free dining' and all the table service restaurants will be full.

Hope this helps.
to c collett, try attraction tickets direct for good priced tickets,you can get life jackets no problem at the water parks,there are various kiosks dotted around. if you are very well off then pay to upgrade,but to be honest we flew first choice at the end of sept to sanford,and it was probably the best flight we ever had,just in ordinary star class.you can pay a fiver each to upgrade your seat back tv to have the same as premium,we did this and it was well worth it.we walked through to get off the plane,and it didnt strike me as anything special,im not saying i wouldnt upgrade if the price was right,but $800 will go a long way towards your spending money in the usa.the best tip i was given,was to book 1 night at a universal on site hotel.ie.royal pacific resort,or hard rock hotel.we booked rpr,this gives you front of line acess on most of the rides in universal studios and islands of adventure on the day of checkin (however early),and untill park close on the day of checkout.it was all on your room keycard,you just show your card and walk past all the crowds straight onto the rides.i wouldnt like to do universal without it.and at night you can go to city walk,and they put a little boat on to talk you back to the hotel. mo.
You can buy 'The Unofficial Guide' HERE.

Pippy :D
I would also recommend you look on the "Dibb" website for a wealth of detailed information with regard to Disney, Orlando attractions and travelling to Florida.

:tup :tup :tup
ditto about the dibb,i would also recommend the brits guide to orlando,i think the 2008 version has just been released.mo.
Wow thanks for advise, any more would be great.

Hi Mehmeh the children are 8 and 6 when we go!!!!!
also we are not driving so any ideas how to get to malls, seaworld, universal?
Thanks very much for info so far its a great help and will get that book mentioned.
Also going with firstchoice apparantly star class is just as comfortable as star class premier!!!!!!!
If you are not driving, your options are pretty limited I would say. Mears does offer transport from hotels to attractions, see their website http://www.mearstransportation.com , otherwise you will have to take a taxi, certainly to the malls. To be honest, with 4 of you, I doubt that a taxi would be more expensive than Mears and it would be a lot simpler esp with small children in tow. I don't think taxis wait at your hotel, but ask in reception and they will call you one. The public bus service, Lynx, will be very complicated for you to access, in my opinion, though others may disagree. I've never tried it. We have always had a car, but I sympathise if you don't want to drive as I always make my husband do the driving! :oops:

As the children are so young, you may want to leave Universal till next time. There is a young children's area in each park, but the majority of the rides are really aimed at older ones.

If you are having to get a taxi to shop, then the outlet malls at Lake Buena Vista will be nearer than the Florida Mall and therefore presumably a cheaper taxi fare. Tell yourself when paying for taxis that a rental car would have cost you £300 or more in essential extra costs to the 'free' car, so you can spend quite a lot on taxis and it will still work out cheaper!

'Brits Guide' is also a good book, I agree.

You will have to take things gently with young kids at that time of year. Be sure to take a break back at the hotel in the afternoon. Make use of the 'early entry' privilege as with the time difference it is easy to get up early, esp the first week. Save the late stuff like fireworks for the second week, when your body clocks will have adjusted. It is important to always be at a park before it opens, ready to go in as soon as they open the gates. You will get on more rides in that first hour than the rest of the day put together! Understand 'Fastpass' and use it. The website http://www.allearsnet.com is a very useful one.

You will have a brilliant time I promise and you will be back for more, so don't worry if you can't fit everything in.
Ps how do i book charachter meals 180 in advance?

Does anyone know the full address for disney pop century need to put it on the form at customs i think!!!!!

i know i am going on question after question but best be prepared and i am so very very excited cant you tell :lol:

Like i said any info for us first timers greatly recieved
i would
disagree about not going to universal,my youngest was 6 and he went on loads,spiderman,blutos bilge barges,all the cat in the hat rides,there are some mini coasters like,flying unicorn,woodys nuthouse coaster.in the studios they could go in most attractions except perhaps the mummy,remember you will only be paying child prices anyway.we didnt drive,stayed on site at disney,just got a taxi to universal,seaworld etc.if you are staying at pop century,go to reception and they will call you a taxi over,usually have loads waiting.we also used quicksilver a town car/limo company very reliable. mo. :)
Ps how do i book charachter meals 180 in advance?

There's a thread further down regarding character dining...take a look at it, as the phone number you need to book is on there too. If you are staying on site you may be able to book earlier than 180 days...which is very useful if you want the Cinderella Breakfast at the MK castle as this can get sold out very fast.
Thanks for all reply's guess it's taxis then, hubby did not want to drive he says he does enough driving at home so not on holiday going to relax and let someone else do the driving :lol:

what are the shopping malls like? are they as cheap as people say?

i know its going to be a very tiring holiday but it will be SO worth the look on my boys faces

feel free to keep all the advise coming my way :wink:
Disney's Pop Century Resort
1050 Century Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: 407-938-4000
Fax: 407-938-4040

See this page for full info on the hotel:-
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_pop.htm

Call this number for dining reservations 180 days before the date of your arrival. You cannot do it any sooner. 001-407-939-3463

Read this page for info on dining:
http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

The shopping is great especially at current exchange rates!

Hope this helps.
Hi

I've found staying on the resort the best thing as all the travel is laid on for you. Some holiday companies include the 14 day unlimited Disney pass wich means you can go everywhere Disney at any time. Also, you get access to certain parks on certain days an hour earlier than the general public so always good if you are there at busy times. Its great to go to one of the parks in the morning, back to the hotel and pool for the afternoon (for a rest) and then back later in the day or evening for fireworks or parades!

Its quite easy to get to the other places like Sea World and Universal - you can contact someone like Mears Motor Shuttles and they collect you and return you to base!

I would agree about the heat in August but also from 1st July to end October you've got the risk of hurricanes (was out there for Jeanne) so if you can go any other time, I'd also recommend it (although I know missing school is not ideal but..!)!

Hope this helps (probably repeats other peoples advice as well).

Cheers

Emma
mehmeh, you really are a star finding all this great info for me! thanks.

Emma we have already booked our dates so if we have hurricanes it will have to be although it will be quite scary. As my friends say you would never go anywhere if you constantly worried about what might be. thanks for your advise too everyone is such a great help.

Feel free to give more and more and more advise if you would like to share :lol:
c.colett
also look at http://www.disboards.com
this also has a wealth of information on it,all about disney.
it is primarily,an american site,but it does have a u.k section.
look under the theme parks strategies page,it really does have some great information.it really is surprising,what you find out.all sorts of tips are on there,to get the most from your 1st disney experience.
thanks to both here & there,we had a fantastic holiday last year,& have booked for next year!
youl'l love it
tracy
Thanks tracy will have a look on that site.

Yeah very excited although quite concerned about the hurricanes which might be!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.