Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
NO problem, hand luggage is fine, Mike.

When I visit the Uk I nearly always bring back some cheeses and the only problem I find is they might get too hot and start to melt a little. I usually wrap the cheese in foil and then in a plastic bag, even if it has already been wrapped in plastic. I always leave it in the fridge until the last minute.

The only problem with leaving it in the fridge till the last minute though is that on one occasion I forgot about a large block that I put in a friends fridge. They really enjoyed eating the cheese after I had left. ;)
No problem at all. I usually bring some locally smoked bacon for the OH along with a couple of Greggs pasties for my friend.

Never had a problem with either.
This may be just me but why would anyone want to eat food that should be kept refrigerated when it has been out of the fridge and in potentially warm conditions for several hours? A nice bit of cheddar yes, but cheddar that's been warming up for several hours :yikes
My thoughts too,I always take a coolbag when we go on holiday,handy for shopping or to take to the beach to keep the drinks and suncreams cool.you can get insulated bags in most of the supermarkets,they only cost a few pence and the cheese will keep so much better.
A cool bag would be the best answer but I've been doing it for over 40 years and I haven't suffered any ill effects as yet.

There are shops airside on many major airports selling cheese, they don't place it in cool bags.
Judith wrote:
There are shops airside on many major airports selling cheese, they don't place it in cool bags.

Which is why I would never buy cheese at an airport ;)
  • Edited by AHV 2012-03-15 18:14:41
I have a cool bag for my stuff. It always seems to travel OK.
Just bear in mind that under current restrictions, cool bags containing ice or gel packs are not permitted in hand luggage and so would have to be placed in hold luggage.

More info on hand luggage restrictions can be found via the link below.

David :wave
Thanks for all the input I intend to freeze the stilton apparently it freezes very well.
Mike

You can cheese Cheddar as well. Sometimes it might be a bit more crumbly when defrosted but it's still good old cheddar.

Judith
Must admit when we've taken cheese to our friends it goes in a cool bag with a freezer block and then into hold luggage.
we packed our bacon and sausages into a cool bag and wrapped up in a towel in our hold luggage and were lovely and cold when we flew to the canaries, placed them straight into the fridge in our room, but like has been said you cant take ice-packs/gel packs into your hand luggage, I was worried enough putting the bacon etc into our suitcase as I thought we might get into trouble, but everything was fine :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.