Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Food in Italy
7 Posts
Hi claire, eating out is usually fairly cheap and nearly allways reasonable, as regards food this is not a very easy question to answer, you are right most restaurants serve pasta, pizza, meat and sauces.
There are also loads of excellent fish restaurants aswell
I think it is important for you to know if you havent been before that pizza and pasta in Italy is very different to the stuff we are used to. Pizzas are a lot lighter and easier to eat. pasta is cooked much more al'dente than here and the sauces they use are miles better than the attempts in this country. They might even like it :lol:
I think you will have your work cut out trying to keep eveey one happy the best you can do is make sure the food on the day is a reasonable selection for everyone, but after that i think you will just have to let people look after them selves the best they can. Im sure they will find something and as said before they dont know they dont like it yet do they :wink:
You can enjoy risotto (rice), seafood (gamberi are prawns), fish (pesci) (including trout and salmon) steaks, chicken (pollo), various cold cuts (antipasti), chops (coteletti) and chips galore!

I am sure you will find dishes that suit everyone, even though it may take a bit of time. And what they don't have as mains, I'm sure they'll enjoy the puds! (tiramisu, gelati (ices), pannacotta (cooked set cream dessert) and meringues ... not to mention torte (tarts) and zabaglione).
many thanks
this information is very helpful

my parents & my partners parents + a couple of other party members do not like pasta or pizza full stop and 2 won't eat cheese, they are very 'english' food orientated and don't even like chinese or indian takeaways - 'gammon & pineapple' and 'steak and chips' etc when they go out for meals.

'jessop' - thank you & i completely understand what you mean about the difference in what we get in england compared to the taste and lightness in italy of pasta and sauces.

risotto's, meats, fish etc will be great. they will be fine. i have to stop worrying about them all, its not like they will starve! they just have to understand that we are going to a non touristy part of italy, not to a spanish costa and fish n chips and english brekkie are not going to be on the menu's!

if anyone has been to the tuscany coast around san vincenzo then i'd appreciate any information - food, general tips, places to visit etc.

c
Hi Clairebear,

Every time we've eaten in a hotel in Italy we have been able to have soup or comsome for a starter if we wanted, followed by the main course that was often a meat, potatoes of some sort and vegetables. The last course is always superb!

The first time I went to Italy I wouldn't touch pasta, tomato or cheese --- and had a fabulous holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just don't let them be put off by the Italien names for things / courses ---------

Have a great time ------- for me Italy is one of the most wonderful places in the world to eat and I am a traditionalist when it comes to food. OOOOOHHHHH I envy you all -----

Enjoy!

x

:wink:
Hi...i am often in San Vincenzo. I am italian.
In that coast, there are many restaurants...

If you go to the restaurants on the sea, you spend may money.
If you go to the restaurants some Km far from the sea, they are not expensive, and the food is better.

If you like Pasta and heart food, i coucil to you to eat "Pasta alla boscaiola" or "pasta al cinghiale"

If you like pasta with fish, take "Spaghetti allo scoglio" or "Pasta al granchio"

Then you can take a "Frittura di pesce"...
Frittura di pesce is the best from a restaurant near the sea.

If you want another good fishtips...take "Caciucco"....
It is very very good and very very famous in the restaurants along the sea.

edit
unauthorised signature removed
Fiona ht mod
Eat at an argiturismo. You will pay little and almost always eat well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.