Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
food!
8 Posts
Lomo C_o_n Col.
Which is loin of Pork wrapped in cabbage with a delicious sauce. The best one in Puerto Pollensa is from the "Celler La Parra" on the Pollensa road opposite the "BetaCar" car hire.
Tumbet - a fry-up with kidneys and veg (peppers and tomatoes and spuds being prominent)! YUM! Try C'an Premsa restau in central Palma.
No recipes as such....

but evocative of Mallorca for me are the local olives, preserved with local wild fennel which you can find growing everywhere...I rub a flower between my fingers when on a walk and sniff its envigorating scent.
then there's watermelon..well I know that's not only Mallorcan... (but neither are tomatoes ;) )

We even developed a taste for the liqueuer Palo, while spending our first holiday in Mallorca in a very noisy resort in a hotel with no air-conditioning.....we found a measure of Palo ensured a good night's sleep! It is definitely an acquired taste, having the flavour of concentrated Guinness (we learned that it is made from carob beans, which I guess make the caramel in it, and also that it contained quinine-like herbs which warded off malaria...)....but we acquired it!
Oh and we always bring home a big ensaimada filled with "cabello d'angel" jam, in an octagonal box :tup
However, most of the foods we enjoy on holiday, just don't taste the same back in UK....whether it's the weather or the lack of holiday atmosphere, I just don't know......
I think some foods are definitely better abroad rather than at home.
Years ago it used to be yoghurt for me, but there are more options in the UK now.
Tumbet definitely! But unlike Alsatienne I can't ever remember having kidneys in it. Yuk! It is suppose to be a vegetarian dish!

Try the one on the BBC food website.
My favorite is Seabass Mallorcan Style, which is fish on a bed of thinly slices potatoes then cooked with tomato, onion,sultanas, pine nuts and spinich, its gorgeous, and my best one was Blanco N Negro on the Cala Egos side of Calad'or Marins
You cant beat a good Frito Mallorquine

Here is a lit of local food and recipies to make when you away from the island
http://www.a2zmallorca.com/list.htm?area=0&town=0&category=0&sector=218&x=48&y=6
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.