America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
If you are talking about the commercially prepared and sealed jars of baby food they will be fine, although there are plenty of choices here too same brand names. They will need to be in your checked luggage though, not in your carry-on.... Weetabix in a sealed box will not be a problem, You won't find that here unless it's in a specialty UK import section of a store.
What they are vigilant about are any agricultural products, fruits vegetables,meats, game, livestock, things that can transmit disease.
Emdia43

Thank you for your reply. I did read about the agricultural warning but as the baby jars have meat I wondered if that would cause the problem.

Thank you again ;)
No, those jars are prepared under very sanitary conditions. It is the people bringing in sausage, hams, game birds that they have to monitor...
I disagree.
https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=944&p_created=1127854030&p_sid=LrdBsRGj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=459&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDksNDkmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Ym90dGxlZCBiYWJ5IGZvb2Rz&p_li=&p_topview=1
Read the paragraph that starts 'As a general rule' which relates to foods that are hermetically sealed and shelf stable without refrigeration ..
Brand name commercially prepared baby foods are generally exempted. I am sure there could be exceptions to every rule though based on ingredients, but unlikely for the general traveler with infants bringing sealed foods for personal use ..
The paragraph ends...MAY be admissible -if other criteria are met.

All I can tell you is that the jars of food my son took in for his 6 month old that had meat in were taken from him and that the family in front of us had chicken crisps removed too probably under the conditins here

Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products)are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.
Oh no, confused now :que think I will take them and just hope I'm ok, picking my tickets up tomorrow so will see if my travel agent can ring anyone,

Thank you both again

Kim
Why not play safe and just take veggie ones-you can get meat ones there.You will be ok with weetabix.
We took a load of Jars of HiPP Baby Food with us in 2007 as at the time it was the only brand our 7 months old would eat and wasn't available in tyhe US at the time.

We declared them at customs at sanford and a very nice customs man looked at each jar and as they were all meat free and just contained vegetables he was happy to let us in with them as they were unopened.

As it happens, she took a liking to an American Brand of baby food called Grueber (i think) while we were there so it wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't of taken them.
Hi, thanks again for the replies.

We have bought veg ones and our travel agent said she went to America with a disabled lady who's food needed liquidising and they were happy to do this, so we arent going to be at a loss for food, also a friend mentioned the Grueber make to.

;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.