Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
food to turkey
20 Posts
yes you should have no problem but you still never know
As above, I have never ever seen customs on entry into Dalaman Airport, Every time I go I take Bacon & Sausauge also not for me but the Bars/Restauraunts I live in when on holiday. :D
Oh be careful i've seen customs stop people and search their cases. my mate was stopped once and searched and they found some packets of bacon in his case and confiscated it. some people chance it and aren't searched but you could be unlucky. they are toughening up i've heard.
gb
Each to their own I know but why would you want to "smuggle" black pudding or bacon into Turkey?. It's only a two week holiday, not for life. Also as you are entering a Muslim country, not too respectful, what would we think about people wanting to bring ethnic foods into the UK in their suitcase.
Mind you I was once on a flight to Kano in Nigeria from Cairo, we sat on the plane in the bakinmg heat for two hours whilst a woman and the cabin crew argued about a huge Nile Perch, she wanted to carry in her hand luggage. That fish soon began to stink in the heat, compromise was reached and it was placed in the hold.
Marchmont Par wrote:
Each to their own I know but why would you want to "smuggle" black pudding or bacon into Turkey?. It's only a two week holiday, not for life. Also as you are entering a Muslim country, not too respectful, what would we think about people wanting to bring ethnic foods into the UK in their suitcase.
Mind you I was once on a flight to Kano in Nigeria from Cairo, we sat on the plane in the bakinmg heat for two hours whilst a woman and the cabin crew argued about a huge Nile Perch, she wanted to carry in her hand luggage. That fish soon began to stink in the heat, compromise was reached and it was placed in the hold.

Er I imagine they can ,manage to live without it for two weeks. If you read the post properly they have been asked to take it over as a gift. Tons of items of ethnic origin are smuggled into the UK everyday. :rofl
We always take several blocks of cheddar cheese to nibble on the balcony in the evening with a drink, as most places we have ever visited charge the earth for cheddar abroad. we just pack it in a cool bag with a couple of ice blocks.

J.
bacon is avalible in turkey although it is a muslim country you can also buy joints of pork, gammon etc but it is at a premium price that is why the locals ask you to bring it
yes it is a chance and is no different to smuggling ciggi's which alot of tourist do
if you read the turkish custom laws there are alot of things that should not be taken in so it is up to the indervidual if th are prepared if caught to have it taken away :sun2
my mate had his cheese confiscated too. another mate of mine is going to marmi next month and he's gonna wear one oh wifes corset girdle things and strap packets of bacon to his body that way, he reckons hes gonna take over about 100 packets of the stuff and sell it to a buyer and make a massive profit on it.
on leaving dalaman airport we did not pass any customs after collecting our bags we always take chees etc, and have always asked at cardiff airport if it was ok,
groovybaby - are you serious or is this a windup? My first thought is that will be very uncomfortable. Why am I sitting here shaking my head!! Sorry but I am finding it very hard to envisage a guy in a corset, with bacon strapped to him, sitting on an aeroplane, then a coach (and in all that heat).
it takes all sorts if they can think they can make a few quid
but i wouldn't want to eat a bacon butty when its travelled like that best way to get food poisoning then blame the tap water :rofl :sun2
Can you imagine it :yikes I hope Groovybaby is joking or there could be a few very sick people in Marmaris :really

I know w lot of people do take bacon and stuff over and I used to get people to bring me Cheddar cheese when I lived there but it isn't actually legal (I didn't realise it at the time I was asking for cheese!). It is up you you whether you want to take a chance on doing it.
oh yeah it's definately true. i thought he was winding me up but he's done it a few times. he takes the bacon out the hard wrappers, he doesn't buy it in the box type packs, and he wraps it in clingfilm then coverss it with lint and and then places it all around his stomach sides and back (he's a big lad mind) and the corset or girdle thing keeps them all in place. he does it regularly and reckons he makes hundreds out of it.

it sounds disgusting but it's all wrapped up. i know it sounds offputting but it's not like he's a drug mule swallowing condoms stuffed with bacon and then selling them on! now that WOULD be offputting i admit.

gb
its the body temp that worries me and the bacteria growth at that purfect temperture, :duh :que
I'd hate to think where he hangs the sausages :yikes :rofl :rofl :rofl

J.
Yes , sorry didn't realise it was for a gift. I only had an "english breakfast" once in Turkey and it is not something I would want to repeat. I prefer, some fresh bread, fruit and a bit of cheese, some fresh squeezed orange juice and a nice Turkish Coffee. In Kos last year the wee shop near where we were staying stocked cans of Irn Bru, lot of Scots staying in the complex. At 3.5 Euros a tin, it was outrageous but people still bought them...why?
:yikes strapped round his body has he never seen the film midnight express wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of them guards :yikes
Note to self......Do not eat any bacon in Marmaris ever again, espacially if it is British bacon! :yikes :lol:

Actually as far as wind ups go, I'll give this one 9/10.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.