Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi Fiona

Did you get this holiday booked for April?

We are going to Dubai in February staying in the Crowne Plaza Festival City. We got a great deal on flights with KLM/AF and are flying from Aberdeen via CDG then onto Dubai. We usually fly KLM via AMS however the CDG option was much cheaper so this will be our first time changing in Paris.

We went last February and stayed in the Crowne Plaza FC and I left a review on the hotel the other week which is now showing on the site.

We are not beach people so don't mind staying away from the beach. The first couple of times in Dubai we were on a cruise so didn't have a great deal of time. We did the Big Bus Tour which was around £25 per person. It is extremely informative, but it takes forever as the traffic is a nightmare. So the idea it is hop on, hop off doesn't really work as the finish around 5ish. Great for finding out about the City though.

Have not used the vouchers but have read about them on Trip Advisor.

Definitely buy duty free as you leave the airport. Keep an eye out for the shop just after you come through passport control. A half litre of beer was around £7 and glass of wine £10 in the hotel!!! Mind you the exchange rate was pretty awful last year.

For that special anniversary, why not treat yourself to afternoon tea in the Skyview Bar in the Burj Al Arab!!! We did that last year and while it was grossly expensive it was a once in a lifetime thing to do and we felt very privileged to even be in the Hotel!

The must do's are the Malls, they are out of this world. The new Dubai Mall is supposed to be the biggest in the world. We actually got lost in there, it is huge. It is in a beautiful setting with fantastic views of Burj Tower and an amazing fountain of water that goes to music (even seen it on You Tube).

If you want to buy fake bags/belts etc yyou need to go to the Al Karama and don't be alarmed when they want to take you through a secret door, and definately barter barter barter.

The Gold Souk is also amazing and worth a wonder around.

Cannot wait to go and any questions I can try and help with please ask.
yes we have booked. We are going to the Arabian Courtyard and Spa
http://www.arabiancourtyard.com/
We didn't want to stay AI on the beach. We will of course have a couple of trips to the beach. There is a shuttle to it. We liked the location of this hotel and it does have good reviews.
I do fancy the idea of the afternoon tea. :) We will definitely be using the hop on/off as well. The duty free is a must as I don't fancy the drink prices at all. :yikes Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'm sure we will be visiting the gold souk ( mind you the OH doesn't know that yet :rofl )
The Arabian Courtyard is supposed to be really nice and in fact we nearly stayed there in February this year. as you say it is in an excellent location (quite near the gold souk) and I understand there are some great eating places around that area.

I'll be counting the sleeps soon!
After the thick frost we have had the last couple of days, I'm really looking forward to some heat. Still too long away for me though!
Raining stair rods yesterday same here in Qatar but still 70+.Pleased someone is still going Dubai really needs the money the bubble has really burst it was well known 12months ago that Dubai had massive debt problems.
The price of my Hotel has already come down since we booked it :duh
haven't checked ours but we have nothing to pay till we get there so I'm sure we can sort something out if prices have gone down :)
You should be OK then Fiona. Unfortunately we are on a non cancellable non refundable rate :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.