Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
cheers for ur help upto now.....my finger is still on the...'' buy holiday'' button for nexty fri...but am still wary as to delays becus of backlog...
thanks andy
Will this affect flights to Mexico?

I would think it unlikely, unless the aircraft in question happened to be operating to/from Spain that day, before operating the Mexico service.

Ryanair Flights to/from Spain - Hand Baggage Only
Ryanair have announced that they will not accept any hold/checked baggage on Wednesday 29 September on flights to or from Spain ... click here for more info.

David :wave
  • Edited by David 2010-09-25 10:37:51
The strike is on Wednesday 29th September, it will be a one day strike across the whole of Spain but there are negotiated minimum service agreements with the unions. For flights within the EU, the agreement is 20%, but they are still arguing about where these flights will be from and to, which airlines, and who will be affected most(Spanish - ie business services from Madrid, Barcelona etc, or tourists - the costas, Canaries and Baleric islands). If your flight, anywhere in Spain on Wednesday actually arrives, you will then have the transfer problem, I heard on the radio this afternoon that in Mallorca, only 1 in 10 transfer buses will operate, now that'll slow things up. I would imagine that there would be a bit of o knock on delay on Thursday from planes not being where they should have been but in principal, everything should be back to normal by then.

It's true that although a general strike has been called by the unions in Spain, there seems to be very little interest from the man in the street. The public sector will be on strike all over Spain, and buses, trains, planes etc will be on strike but as for day-to-day things whilst here as a tourist- bars, supermarkets, shops etc, I doubt if you'll notice too much the strike.
Hi

I have just recieved an email from Ryanair, informing us of a Spanish strike which will affect our break to Spain on the 29th August :que . It reads:

Dear Passenger,

We have been advised of strike action by the biggest transport unions in Spain on Wednesday 29th September 2010. This strike will impact baggage handling services at all Spanish Airports and in order for us to operate flights on the 29th September we are unable to accept checked baggage (see your flight details below ). For passengers departing from Spanish airports on the 29th September please note that public transport to airports in Spain will also be adversely affected by this strike.

We are only taking hand luggage so the handlers won't affect us but we was hoping to get a train/tube or bus from Girona airport to Barcelona on the 29th September. It looks like this could be a problem now and having looked at taxi fares etc it comes to £160.00 one way, which is a lot of money for us.

Does anyone else have any suggestions please?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sue
flights into all spanish islands are less likely to be affected because the government and unions have agreed that they are a 'special case' because inhabitants/visitors have no alternative other than boats and planes to enter or leave the islands.

sdII
We are flying to Alicante with Ryanair on Wed 29th. We,ve recieved the email to say we are only allowed hand luggage. I,ve checked several other sites and don,t see any notification to travellers . Is anybody going with a different carrier been given the same restrictions....

Thanks Alexa
thanks for ur responses, i have now booked, i fly out 08.45 this fri morn so fingers crossed theres no knock on effect with the flights.....
it may be cheaper to just stay in a hotel at the airport for the day.
have a look here
Sue: I am in the same situation as you, i.e flying into Girona. I've read that taxi's are 120Euro, which is a lot, but will they even be running.
Updated advice from Ryanair ... please click here.

Other airlines are slow to clarify or confirm their plans for Wednesday, but TTG Live is currently reporting that up 80% of UK flights to and from Spain are set to be cancelled .... click here for full story.

Airlines now appear to be updating their websites this morning with warnings of possible delays and disruption tomorrow.

Anyone travelling to/from Spain tomorrow, Wednesday 29 September, is advised to make regular checks on their airline's website before setting off for the airport.

Passengers who have booked online should additionally make regular checks on emails (inbox and spam folder) to watch out for notifications of any schedule changes.

Thanks David for keeping us informed. :tup

Well, it isn't looking very good. We are due to fly from Birmingham tomorrow at 12:00pm. If we are lucky enough to get our flight and get as far as Girona airport, we will then have the second task of reaching Barcelona. We are due to stay in Barcelona for 2 nights (the second night we are going to see a SLF gig). On Friday 1st Oct, we are off to Lloret de mar by train/bus and will stay for a couple of nights. The purpose of this visit was for the gig but it's not looking promising is it. :cry

Let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope it doesn't affect us too much and that we will soon be away from the british weather and sunning ourselfs in Spain :sun2 :tup

Fingers crossed Sue x
Good luck Sue, I hope that any disruption or inconvenience is kept to a minimum.

Ryanair have revised advice once again and this time the situation looks much less positive, with cancellations now being announced:
http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/gops/100924-ES-strike29sep-GB

Passengers due to travel with other airlines should continue to monitor their websites for any late changes to operations.

Sue: I'm on the same flight! & its not on the cancelled list so it looks good so far...
Yes, keeping my fingers crossed but not too confident.

Where are you going to once you have got to Girona? We are heading for Barcelona, could share a taxi if you are travelling there too?

If not, I hope you have a good journey and like I said I will keep my fingers crossed for all of us.

Sue
looks like i am lucky off to ibiza.knew it was going to be ok.i know someone at east mids gave them a email.plus checked on tui site news
Spanish strike causes travel chaos

Ryanair has cancelled most flights to and from Spain and all Spanish domestic flights due to operate on Wednesday due to a 24-hour strike.

British Airways and easyJet admitted their services to and from Spain would also be badly hit and both airlines are giving passengers the option to cancel or re-schedule their trips without incurring fees.

At least one in five flights is expected to be cancelled and passengers connecting on to long-haul services at Spanish hubs will also be affected.

Ryanair had hoped to operate hand-baggage only flights to Spain during Wednesday in order to reduce the inconvenience and disruption to its passengers, but on Tuesday evening it said this would not be possible.

It accused the Spanish government of failing to guarantee a minimum level of service for non-Spanish airlines during the 24-hour general strike, from midnight on Tuesday.

Ryanair reiterated its call for the European Commission to outlaw strikes by workers providing essential services such as air traffic control.

Airlines have also been forced to cancel flights to and from Belgium on Tuesday and Wednesday due to a wild-cat strike by Belgian air traffic controllers which started on Tuesday lunchtime and is due to end at 1pm Wednesday.

A strike by French air traffic controllers disrupted flights to and from the UK last week.

With permission from Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.