Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Awwww congratulations!

Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon :D
Congratulations, how fab! :D

I know it will be wonderful and send you my best wishes for a lovely day and holiday to follow.
:D Congratulations - hope the weathers stays fine and you have a lovely day :wink:
Have checked the weather on bbc and wunderground. It looks as if you are going to have hot sunny day on Saturday.
Congratulations, hope everything goes well for you both. :ghug

LOL Marn.
Congratulations. Have a fabulous day.
Margaret
congratulations! hope it all goes well for you both the hotel is a good one in pine clad part of hisaronu
Congratulations and best wishes to you both. Have a lovely day. :kiss
Congratulations :gluck , hope you have a smashing time. Don't come back with a honeymoon baby :P
Marion
:glynis
congratulations have a wonderful day, we got married in olu deniz lykia world and throughly enjoyed our day
Congratulations to you both, Hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

wgipk.
Congratulations from me too, wishing you both a lifetime of health, wealth and happiness.

Catherine xxx
Mr & Mrs Haymans 74 ....

Many congratulations and hope you had a wonderfull day. When things sort of settle down please let everyone know how your day went.

Wilson :wink:
all the best to you and your future husband.have a lovely time and a good holiday. tebrikler.

bluepeterno1
Well we did it! We got back from Hisaornu yesterday. What follows is a very long account (originally written for a wedding forum so apologies if it's a bit dull) so if you just want the pics they're at the end!

Thursday 3rd May
After a hectic couple of days sorting out Turkish Lira, the cattery (and the drama of the lost vaccination certificates), and packing bags we were finally off to Gatwick! Off we went with 5 suitcases - one of which held nothing but my dress and it had taken three attempts to pack it. As our guests started arriving at the bar in Gatwick's departure lounge it finally hit us that this was OUR wedding. At the other end I nervously waited for my wedding dress to appear on the luggage carousel and I was lucky that it did as a few people on our flight lost their luggage! After plenty of champers on the flight and a loooooong coach journey the other end, we finally arrived at the hotel in Turkey at 2am Friday morning and had a big cheer as we entered the hotel bar as some of our guests were on different flights and beat us there.

Friday 4th May
After a brief meeting with the hotel manager to finalise food and music arrangements for the Saturday I spent some time making up favour boxes with the bridesmaids, then at 1.30 we all trotted off to get our manicures and pedicures done. Nothing is done quickly over there so we washed down a couple of bottles of wine whilst the manicurist pampered our digits. At this point there was quite a bit of concern over whether my dad was going to be able to make it to the ceremony to give me away as he was really very ill and had been in bed for two days without leaving his hotel room. We staggered back to the hotel for a quick shower and change then the boys all headed off into town for a few drinks and me and the female guests and the kids got in a mini bus and taxi (we had to put someone in the boot because there weren't enough seats) and went off to a nearby town for dinner - whereupon I was presented with a Turkish headband covered in gold coins and was told I had to wear it for the duration under threat of further humiliation. After dinner we bundled back to the hotel and had LOTS of drinks. Um.. I then did something quite un-bride like. A couple of the lads had come back to the hotel by then so I challenged them to a swim across the pool - then dived in fully clothed! I lost. Pah. Mother in Law was first on her feet cheering! I finally said my goodbyes at 1.30 and went off to bed on my own as Paul was staying in his usher's room. Went off to sleep no problem - although the copious amounts of bacardi and coke might've helped.

Saturday 5th May - THE BIG DAY
I woke up around 7am and thought "s***, it's finally here, it's my wedding day". It felt all a bit unreal. I could hear Paul and his ushers in the swimming pool outside and I daren't go outside until they'd left. His usher called me at 9am to give me the all clear and I went to have breakfast with my mum and aunt. I spent the morning in the swimming pool and handling harassed ushers who kept turning up looking for socks, cufflinks and other bits and pieces. Gave them Paul's gift from me (cufflinks and aftershave) and at 1.30 set off to the hairdressers. At this point I was getting quite severe chest pains and I really didn't think that I was that stressed or nervous but after the ceremony the pains went so I can only assume that that's what they were! 4 hours and 2 bottles of champagne later I made it back to the hotel where one of my bridesmaids helped me stuff my hair and tiara into a shower cap so that I could have a quick shower. I squeezed myself into my glamorous spanx underwear then slung a sarong round me so I could get on with putting on my make up. My mum and aunt arrived with an old and borrowed ring on a bit of blue ribbon to tie into my dress. The hotel cleaners stopped by for a sneak preview of the bride but all they got was me in my undies with a tiara on my head! The bridesmaids turned up fully dressed and looking gorgeous and I sent them all off on errands to finalise table layouts etc and then a big bouquet of red roses arrived from Paul - cue first tears of the day to test out the new waterproof mascara. Along came the bouquets for me and the girls and they were GORGEOUS. Not what I expected at all, but really lovely and very very fragrant.

Then I had a quick slurp of vodka and tonic (I don't even LIKE vodka and tonic but it was all we had in the room). I put my veil on and suddenly, I was the bride! We stepped outside for some pre wedding photos with the bridesmaids and then hung around for AGES. One of the ushers came rushing up to say there was a bit of a delay as there was a problem with the registrar but not to worry as they were sorting it out. Then no one could get my dad out of his room. By this time it was 7.15 in the evening and the ceremony was due to start at 7pm. Dad FINALLY arrived - minus cufflinks as he'd forgotten to bring any. A few more photos and then we were off!

We went round to the back gate of the hotel garden. The girls straightened my train and my CBM placed my veil over my face, which I hadn't planned to do but when my mum saw it over my face earlier in the day she cried so I reckoned actually it looked better than I thought! The Turkish band struck up the Wedding March - Turkish style - and we went marching down the aisle. All I could see was a sea of faces. There were green and pink flares going off and coloured smoked billowed out behind me as I walked down the aisle. It wasn't wide enough to get me and my dad in his wheelchair side by side so I went up ahead and he followed me, followed by the bridesmaids. Paul had been told by his best man not to look around until I got to the top as it's bad luck and as I reached him he turned round and said "wow". Cue more tears! I had to hiss at him to lift the veil as he had no idea he was supposed to do it. I then discovered what the problem had been with the registrar. He spoke no English and so needed someone to read out the English translation as he went along and the hotel manager was too busy, so one of Paul's ushers did it! It was like that episode of friends where Joey marries Monica and Chandler! Luckily for us, all we had to say was "I do" but I only just managed to hold it together through the tears - then found out half our guests were snivelling too. When it got to the bit where our usher had to say "by the power invested in me by the Turkish authorities" we all burst out laughing. I couldn't get Paul's ring on his finger as they'd swollen up in the heat and we had a lot of pushing and shoving to get it on! Then we were declared man and wife and we had our first kiss and were showered in confetti.

All the guests were given champagne as we did a few formal shots and then we sat down to dinner of mezes and bbq and lots and lots of wine. I must've had a dozen drinks as I kept putting them down and forgetting where they were! We went round all the tables between courses to make sure we got to speak to everyone and then after dinner we had the speeches and handed out the gifts. Then the fun began. The belly dancer started and had everyone up dancing, it was HYSTERICAL! She really was brilliant and everyone loved it. That was followed by a barber arriving to give Paul a shave (it's a Turkish tradition apparently) and then all the waiters did a traditional Turkish dance. Then the cake arrived. Now, I'd asked for elegant and understated but didn't really have much say in the cake as the hotel arranged it. What turned up was a five tier multi coloured monstrosity - everyone said the look on my face was priceless. God only knows what we would've got if I'd asked for elaborate! Anyway, it was delicious. We then all adjourned to the bar where there was lots of dancing, singing and general sillyness. I kicked my shoes off at the point and hitched my dress up to dance. The evening ended with a delivery of donor kebabs - classy! And we headed off to bed at 3am.

Paul managed to get me out of my dress okay, but then had to struggle with about 70 hair pins! And yes, we did

Sunday 6th May
We'd chartered a boat to take us and all our guests out for the day around the local beaches. It was absolutely boiling hot and we had a fantastic time swimming in the med and having a bbq on board. Even though no one had had much sleep, and no one wanted to go on the boat at breakfast time with a hangover, everyone absolutely loved it and it was the perfect way to round off our wedding.

Our guests stayed with us in Turkey for a week and then left and we had a week on our own as a honeymoon. Lots of our guests had never been to Turkey before and have already booked to go back in September! The whole thing was totally awesome and so much better than we could've ever expected. I highly recommend getting married in Turkey!

Hints & tips:

Our Instant Forever photo guest book was a big hit and it was lovely to read all the heart felt comments and see the impromtu photos. Highly recommended.

Try to relax and go with the flow. I had no choice over things like the decorations, the flowers or the cake and they were not what I would have chosen, but in the grand scheme of things it really didn't matter.

The free bar was a big hit too(what a surprise!) and it was really great not to have to ask our guests to fork out for drinks so if you can afford it (much more expensive in the UK than it was in Turkey) then go for it.

Once you have your dress on, don't worry about it getting dirty. The bottom of mine was absolutely filthy by the end of the day but I really didn't care.

I gave my veil to my cousin's 12 year old daughter near the end of the night and she absolutely loved it - no one loves a veil more than a little girl. It made her week.

Suppliers:

Venue: Hotel Telmessos, Hisaronu, Turkey
Dress: Sincerity 2952 from Elderberry Brides in Basingstoke
Tiara: eBay - figure island
Earrings: Debenhams
Shoes: BHS
Veil: From the For Sale board on confetti
Undies: Spanx & bra from Bravissimo
Men's suit hire: Debenhams
Men's shoes: Their own
Bridesmaid dresses: Next
Bridesmaid handbags: New Look
Bridesmaid Sari: shop in Southall that I can't remember the name of
Bridesmaid shoes : Their own
Wedding rings: Bands of Love
Favours: Boxes and ribbon from eBay, tissue paper from Confetti, Turkish delight from Turkey!
MIL gift: tickets to Woman in Black and silver photoframe
Dad gift: boxed set of playing cards from brideandgroomdirect and silver photo frame
Mum gift: tickets to Woman in Black and silver photo frame
CBM & Best Man gifts: boxed corkscrew set from eBay
Ushers gifts: zippo lighters from eBay
Bridesmaid gifts: zippo lighters/compact mirrors from eBay
Invitations: brideandgroomdirect
Table plan: Confetti
Table names & name places: courtesy of my dad
Photographer: venue's own
Gift list: didn't have one. We got given mostly cash and vouchers and we hadn't asked for anything at all
Guest book - Adesso Polaroid album from supplier in the US
Wedding insurance - didn't have any!
Wedding partyThank you cards: Carol Miller Designs
Keepsake box: Carol Miller Designs
Kids gift boxes & toys: Partysparkle

Everything else - cake, flowers, fireworks, dinners, decorations etc supplied by the venue

Other facts:

Hen do - I had 2. 8 of us went to Berlin for a weekend and then we had a meal the night before the wedding with all the female guests
Stag do - Hubby had a pub crawl with all the male guests the night before the wedding
1 best man
3 ushers
4 bridesmaids
46 guests in total (plus bride and groom)
Music - entrance music the Wedding March (played by Turkish Band)
First Dance - Nobody Does it Better by Carly Simon

Total cost of wedding £9,500 including honeymoon and spending money.

We didn't have a gift list, and hadn't asked anyone for anything as we felt asking them to come to Turkey was enough, but we still ended up with a very generous £900 in vouchers and cash.

Note on photography: We got 150 8" x 6" prints, two large framed photos, and 600 photos on disk with total copyright for £300. We do have to buy our own albums but that's fine by me!

Photos:

Before and Ceremony:
http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=2x5xrpet.5lpy3yxx&Uy=ek6wcb&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&localeid=en_GB&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Reception:
http://www.kodakgallery.co.uk/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=2x5xrpet.82wdxkdh&Uy=j4224d&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&localeid=en_GB&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1
Im really pleased for you, thats sounds like the perfect wedding :) I hope you both have a long, happy and healthy future together!
Great post its all behind you now ,Tebrikler.
:wink: :wink:

Bluepeterno1
Congratulations to you both.Lovely photo's.

Diane :D
A lovely read - thank you for sharing :D
Congratulations - may you enjoy your life as much as you enjoyed your day
lally
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.